5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

i want to paint my car...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 05:06 AM

I am going to get my body kit by wed. of next week. I have a little damage on the drivers side in the back where the rear door meets the 1/4 panel... a truck drove by while the car was standing and made like 2 1ft scratches that go over the 1/4 panel and the door... i got lots of scratches all over the bumpers, and dings on the doors here and there... basically i want to prob repaint the car.
now i have 2 choices .. either to paint the car a new color that i like or to leave the color the way it is and just fix it up as if they are fixing any damage... well if i paint the car now i dont know what color... I was thinking of either LEXUS GS BLUE, LEXUS GS SILVER, or SUPER BLACK. I really love the Blue... it is sooo dope... just there are 2 things that i am worried about... #1 what if i get sick of the color after a year or 2... #2 and this is if i paint the car in any color... The car is only 1 year old without any major body work needed... i mean the only thing is the 2 scratches... so if i paint the whole car and then i want to sell it people will wonder why i did it and they will think im trying to hide some accident or something else and they will be wary of buying my car... so i need advice... also i am going to have the guy put the body kit on and fill the seams so it will look like 1 peice on the car...
Old 08-24-2001, 06:53 AM

I would say that you bought the car with your first choice of colors offered by Nissan. I agree the choice was/is limited, however you settled on one.
The resale value will be far greater if you stick to the stock color, plus all the inside areas will match.

When a car has been repainted a different color, the first think I think is ok, where was the collision? It raises more questions and make people (potential buyers) nervous.

Stick to stock.
Old 08-24-2001, 07:15 AM

Two questions for you...

1) How much does it cost to get a new paint job? (Include breakdown of with and w/o bodykit)

and

2) How long are you planning on keeping your car?

Just wondering...
Old 08-24-2001, 07:23 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I agree with Mike.
Old 08-24-2001, 07:48 AM

Here's some sound advice, only paint the car if and only if you plan on keeping it. I painted my 2.3CL alpine green and it took me no time to sell it, mainly b/c it had two pc., wheels body kit as well as other things. It only took me a couple of days after I listed it to sell. Make sure that the person who paints your car strips it to the frame. It will cost more but well worth it. But you intentions on selling the car later, keep it stock.

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
I agree with Mike.
Old 08-24-2001, 12:47 PM

I agree about the resale value thing... Although, it is a matter of taste, so go with your gut instinct about which color you want.
Old 08-24-2001, 01:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you plan to keep it, I really like Majestic Blue. I wish this color was an option for the 2K model. Mercedes silver is hott too. If you do wind up selling you could always tell the buyer that the original paint sucked (paint chips..etc) and you got a few scratches here and there. Besides if you have the money to do it...why not. Just make sure that they paint EVERYTHING. Inside the doors..under the hood (where applicable)...under the trunk (where applicable). Seeing remnants of the original paint job is definately an eye sore.
Old 08-24-2001, 01:20 PM

GS blue!!

If you do decide to do it, the GS blue would look sooo hot, if i ever painted my car it would be that color

i say go for it... be unique!!
Old 08-24-2001, 02:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: GS blue!!

Originally posted by Jeff2k1GLE
If you do decide to do it, the GS blue would look sooo hot, if i ever painted my car it would be that color

i say go for it... be unique!!
That blue is very sweet... I think it's Spectra Blue Mica. The new TL blue is really nice too, it's called Aegean Blue.
Old 08-24-2001, 03:04 PM

Re: Re: GS blue!!

There is a blue called midnight blue that looks black at night and blue during the day and it is basically the same color as the GS. My friend had a Range Rover that was that color. I am sticking to my guns and say the Volvo C70 bronze/copper color is tighter than gnat booty! Cookie monster blue is a nice color as well.

Originally posted by Weasel
That blue is very sweet... I think it's Spectra Blue Mica. The new TL blue is really nice too, it's called Aegean Blue.
Old 08-24-2001, 03:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: GS blue!!

Originally posted by rocketshipon19"
There is a blue called midnight blue that looks black at night and blue during the day and it is basically the same color as the GS. My friend had a Range Rover that was that color. I am sticking to my guns and say the Volvo C70 bronze/copper color is tighter than gnat booty! Cookie monster blue is a nice color as well.

That Volvo color is called Saffron Metallic I think... looks very sweet but I don't think it will age well. Blue is a more classic color. Don't overlook a good Benz silver or BMW Titanium Silver either.
Old 08-24-2001, 04:44 PM

How about buger green????
Old 08-25-2001, 02:17 AM

I'm partial to the Porsche Speed Yellow.... but a lot of people don't like yellow. I guess that's just me
Old 09-22-2001, 10:09 PM

Yeah that GS Blue is phat no doubt. If you plan on puttin more mods and drive it till the wheels fall apart, go with with custom color. Because when people are buying an old high-mileage car for a few thousand bucks, they are not that picky where your car has been....although everything is in that CarFax report...whoever buys a low mileage used vehicle, they certainly want it clean....then keep it stock..
Old 09-22-2001, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by rocketshipon19"
Here's some sound advice, only paint the car if and only if you plan on keeping it. I painted my 2.3CL alpine green and it took me no time to sell it, mainly b/c it had two pc., wheels body kit as well as other things. It only took me a couple of days after I listed it to sell. Make sure that the person who paints your car strips it to the frame. It will cost more but well worth it. But you intentions on selling the car later, keep it stock.
how much did it cost for the good job?
i wanna paint my car too. but cuz i've got so many chips in the paint, i want a STRONG paint job. i'll stick to white, but not pearl.
Old 09-23-2001, 10:25 AM

paint is expensive!

I priced out my 94 thunderbird for repainting at a friends shop. With a discount using dupont products here are the prices.

$1600 repaint car from metal up
$2000 above with removing mouldings arounds windows

To paint inside door, trunk, hood wells this is lots of additional money. (necessary when changing colors)
To have additional clear or pearls coats this is also additional money.

For a show car paint finish he said it would cost about $5000 to do everything. (disassemble and paint it right)