5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

L@@K what Mr Catts sent me...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by miksen
So I went to Maximuntuning and had these installed.
A week later I have spitting sputtering coming from mid-car someplace.

Sounds like a sewing machine when I let off the gas
Must be a gasket failure or maybe just need to retorque all the connections
have not had time to crawl under the car and figure it out.

Anyone else have an exhaust leak issue so soon after install?
Is that pretty common?
Nope, not common at all. If you crawl under the car and still can't figure it out, take it back to Maximumtuning and have them figure it out. Afterall, you paid for proper installation.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:01 PM

If your gaskets are toasted particularly the ones between the header and the y-pipe! Here's a p/n for some heavy duty copper gaskets from SCE Gaskets p/n 4220, I ordered these from Summit Racing they're pretty much indestructible! The one between the cat and the y-pipe is one of those OEM multi-layer Stainless Steel, you can reuse those all day long! Good luck!
Old 05-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by miksen
So I went to Maximuntuning and had these installed.
A week later I have spitting sputtering coming from mid-car someplace.

Sounds like a sewing machine when I let off the gas
Must be a gasket failure or maybe just need to retorque all the connections
have not had time to crawl under the car and figure it out.

Anyone else have an exhaust leak issue so soon after install?
Is that pretty common?
Jeff from maximum tuning? You live in PA and you drove all the way to him to get these instaleld? Well in any case, he installed my hotshots and my cattman headers and extended my o2 wires yesterday.

With my HS headers I noticed a "fluttering" noise upon deceleration. When I switched them for the Cattmans a few weeks ago, I have the same "fluttering" noise so Im convinced its normal. Im sure exhaust sounds are more audible since the precats have been taken out and Jeff agreed. When I got that noise on my HS I got worried the flex was broken. Now its with the cattmans, so Im not worried. When my car had no headers, there was no fluttering noise. Oh yea, I used brand new OEM gaskets too
Old 05-17-2008, 08:22 AM
FU, FU, FU, You're Cool..

I know it sounds nuts...but yes I made the drive. All the local mechanics here have no Max experiance and would not give me a firm quote for install. Called four mechs. One qouted me 900 just to get the manifilds off, that was not even considering the re-install of new components. Anyway got under the car today and the bolts on the back side of the cat were slightly loose and the bolts on the tail piece were also loose but none were loose enough to make me think it would cause an issue I tightened by hand as much as my might would allow. Still ahve the "fluttering" can even hear it at idle.

Originally Posted by SLVRMAXX
Jeff from maximum tuning? You live in PA and you drove all the way to him to get these instaleld? Well in any case, he installed my hotshots and my cattman headers and extended my o2 wires yesterday.

With my HS headers I noticed a "fluttering" noise upon deceleration. When I switched them for the Cattmans a few weeks ago, I have the same "fluttering" noise so Im convinced its normal. Im sure exhaust sounds are more audible since the precats have been taken out and Jeff agreed. When I got that noise on my HS I got worried the flex was broken. Now its with the cattmans, so Im not worried. When my car had no headers, there was no fluttering noise. Oh yea, I used brand new OEM gaskets too
Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 AM

I installed my cattman headers about two weeks ago and i have a similiar sound coming from under the car as well, I've torqued everything thing down again and again and still sounds the same! I have a pretty mild exhaust so i hear it pretty good, i guess if you turn the radio up and slap an N1 fart can you might not hear it! Good luck!
Old 05-19-2008, 06:21 PM

Slvrmaxx are you interested in selling your hotshots if so I'm very very interested in buying them