5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Definitive opinions on Power Steering Pressure Hose?

Old 11-08-2012, 05:06 AM

Definitive opinions on Power Steering Pressure Hose?

So, for the record, which power steering pressure hose is the overall best buy?

The Edelmann from Rock Auto is certainly a great price. At the mileage on our Maxima, I'm not sure the buzzing sound some report is going to be a big deal, unless it's so loud it's going to scare people or drown-out the music.

The factory hose from the dealership is crazy-expensive. I really can't justify that cost unless it's simply that much better than the aftermarket options.

Advance Auto Parts has a Powercraft hose priced in-between the Edelmann and the Nissan piece. I have no clue about the fit or quality, though. Has anyone even heard of this brand?

So...Is there a definitive opinion on this part? If you've installed the Edelmann, how has it been? No problems? How is that buzzing? Or, do all of the replacements buzz?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:24 AM

Prices? If you haven't tried yet, for dealer parts try nissanpartsasap.com. Their prices seem reasonable to me.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:47 AM

At your link, they want $148 for the part. Courtesy wants $159. The Edelmann part from RockAuto is $67.79. The Powercraft part is $119. Obviously, going aftermarket is going to be a lot cheaper. So, I'm just asking if anyone has had problems with the aftermarket hoses.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:19 AM

My neighbor has an '02 Maxima and about 2 years ago, he had the infamous power steering HP hose leak and had it replaced with an Autozone $70 hose. After he replaced it, it would squeal like a pig at every start up... He eventually got tired of it and spent $160 for an OEM one and got rid of the Autozone one...

About a year after that, it was my turn... I didn't try to cheap out on the part and got a Nissan OEM one and it was a pain in the *** to replace, but no whine.

There's a proverb I like that says: Poor man pays twice...

Last edited by Gizm0; 11-08-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:21 AM

I got the edelmann hose and it buzzes all the time, i bled the system plenty of times, since i live in nyc im parallel parking all day everywhere i go and the buzzing is driving me nuts its very loud in my opnion its like if my volume is at 10 i can still hear the hose. Even when turning at 10 miles an hour i feel the steering wheel not getting enough assistance from the power steering pump and it stiffens up a lil. Im buying an oem one this christmas
Old 11-08-2012, 11:50 AM

If you don't want the whine noise go with an OEM hose. The specs(dimensions are smaller in diameter IIRC) are slightly different on the aftermarket hoses and that's why the aftermarket ones makes those noises. Several say they can deal with the whine until they have to deal with the whine.

FYI: If you buy from nissanpartsasap.com you get a nissan coozie and pen(I have 2 of each at the moment). Got it each time I ordered. lol
Old 11-08-2012, 12:26 PM

Wow. I didn't realize the whining was that loud. That's crazy. Even with so many miles on the car, I can't see having to put-up with that kind of noise.

A cozie and pen? Sweet!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:52 PM

I had to change my whole pump for a different reason, so I was still using the OEM hose and I still got a horrible whine noise until I learned how to properly bleed the power steering. I've read all the threads about it too and plenty of people have bought the non-oem hose and when properly bled there was no whine noise.

- Jack the front of the car up in the air
- Completely drain (not just the reservoir)
- Fill up
- WITHOUT starting the car, turn the wheel all the way left, and all the way right, a bunch of times from lock to lock to get all the air out.
- Top off if needed
- Maybe repeat the left/right thing a few more times, shouldn't hurt.

That got rid of my whine. If I remember correctly if you start the car with air in the system the pump forces the air to mix with the power steering fluid and its near impossible to get the air out once its mixed, and will cause the whine. I made the mistake of starting the car and then doing left/right.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just did this about a month ago - easy if you have two people - one to feed the hose down next to the firewall and one to be under the car putting it on. Word to the wise, do NOT cross-thread ANYTHING. Also, I went OEM - partsfornissans on ebay had it cheap. No whine at all, already comes with sensor on it - aftermarket, I believe you have to purchase sensor separately. I HIGHLY recommend reading this thread (more than once). It tells you the do's and don'ts and which end to start with. Good luck!
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...hose-pics.html
Old 11-09-2012, 09:24 AM

I just checked ebay listing by PartsForNissans. They want $158 for the hose! Maybe it's because they include the sensor?

Speaking of the sensor...Will I be able to re-use the existing sensor?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:43 AM

Personally I went for the rockauto part and I don't think the noise is that bad. In fact the only time I can hear it is when you turn the wheel while at a stop, if you are moving you don't really hear it. I would definitely say it's not so bad that I have ever considered ordering the OEM and doing it over. Especially considering I expect to get 300K+ miles out of the car and the OEM hose gets around 100K so I would end up changing it at least one more time during the life of the car.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by ffcbairn
Personally I went for the rockauto part and I don't think the noise is that bad. In fact the only time I can hear it is when you turn the wheel while at a stop, if you are moving you don't really hear it. I would definitely say it's not so bad that I have ever considered ordering the OEM and doing it over. Especially considering I expect to get 300K+ miles out of the car and the OEM hose gets around 100K so I would end up changing it at least one more time during the life of the car.

i guess your not parallel parking 7 times a day into the tightest spots up there in virginia huh
Old 11-09-2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by DjHackStyle
i guess your not parallel parking 7 times a day into the tightest spots up there in virginia huh
Haha that is a big negative. Also wasn't a problem in Las Vegas where I lived before I moved here.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:47 AM

I'll advise you to go OEM only!!!!!! Stay away from all your inexpensive options they'll eventually be a problem and I guarantee they won'y make 9-10 years like the OEM!