Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Question about phillips D2R bulbs (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/568894-question-about-phillips-d2r-bulbs.html)

wyche89 08-08-2008 05:35 PM

Question about phillips D2R bulbs

Ok, I am not satisfied with the headlights in my car. My stock headlights have taken a turn for the yellow side... almost looking like halogens. I got some aftermarket 4300k bulbs, but the cutoff is not very crisp, and they are a little dimmer than my stockies were. I want to get some phillips bulbs, but I'm reading all over HID planet that new phillips bulbs look yellow/white... I want no yellow! I want that beautiful blue color that you see on 90% of I35s, QX4s, and 5.5 gen maximas. for some reason I think D2R bulbs look better behind nissan housings than they do on most cars, as they have more of a blue color, and still have great output. If I buy these new phillips d2r bulbs what can I expect as far as color? Will they be yellow/white at first, then color shift to that blue color?

I'm also looking at the phillips 85126+ D2R bulbs, which claim not to color shift. Has anybody had any experience with putting new phillips bulbs in their cars? If so what color were they? Thanks
-Chris

lowincash 08-08-2008 05:50 PM

4300k bulbs will be yellow at first when new...after 100 hours or so of usage they'll be more white/bluer...i believe the 85126+ bulbs are 5000k and should look more colorshifted. when i switch back to my stock headlights i bought new OEM D2R bulbs and they were very yellow...after a while they got whiter...but actually when new they had the best output.

wyche89 08-08-2008 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by lowincash (Post 6564649)
4300k bulbs will be yellow at first when new...after 100 hours or so of usage they'll be more white/bluer...i believe the 85126+ bulbs are 5000k and should look more colorshifted. when i switch back to my stock headlights i bought new OEM D2R bulbs and they were very yellow...after a while they got whiter...but actually when new they had the best output.

hmm.. so you're saying that the 85126+ bulbs already have that blue/white color when new? and won't colorshift to that ugly yellow color?

ShIft_uR FacE 08-09-2008 12:28 AM

I have these. When new, they have a yellowish look but eventually turn whiter..even though they are said to not colorshift....anyways. Looks better regardless once it gets whiter. Buy them.

Lontar1 08-09-2008 01:11 AM

I used to have them.. they will turn whiter/blueish with time... I replace them with OEM HID's

DeceptI30n 08-09-2008 03:31 AM

on my i35, the color is bluish white, due to age. its, i guess a nice color, but the output is not as great as it used to be when it was whiter/hint of yellow. and don't the bulbs turn more white w/ hint of blue over time rather than turning more yellow 0.o IMO, if you want that white/bluish color, i say get used bulbs.

lowincash 08-09-2008 08:09 AM

the bulbs aren't suppose to colorshift to yellow unless maybe the bulb is dying or something. the 85126+ will still color shift...it's just not as yellow when you first use them. but i think you should just get a new set of 4300k bulbs and just deal with the yellow for a few weeks for the sake of having brighter light output :D

edit: this was when i had my tsx projector retrofit...see how yellow they were when i first put them on lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../onthecar3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../onthecar5.jpg

then it got to a nicer white/blue color after a few weeks or months later :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../onthecar6.jpg

wyche89 08-09-2008 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by ShIft_uR FacE (Post 6565109)
I have these. When new, they have a yellowish look but eventually turn whiter..even though they are said to not colorshift....anyways. Looks better regardless once it gets whiter. Buy them.

Originally Posted by Lontar1 (Post 6565120)
I used to have them.. they will turn whiter/blueish with time... I replace them with OEM HID's

you guys have the regular phillips D2R bulbs or the 85126+ bulbs?

wyche89 08-09-2008 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by lowincash (Post 6565338)
the bulbs aren't suppose to colorshift to yellow unless maybe the bulb is dying or something. the 85126+ will still color shift...it's just not as yellow when you first use them. but i think you should just get a new set of 4300k bulbs and just deal with the yellow for a few weeks for the sake of having brighter light output :D

edit: this was when i had my tsx projector retrofit...see how yellow they were when i first put them on lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../onthecar3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../onthecar5.jpg

then it got to a nicer white/blue color after a few weeks or months later :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../onthecar6.jpg

cool.. yeah the second pic is pretty good.. i already put an order in for the regular phillips D2R bulbs... it's gonna be a sucky couple of weeks! but itll be worth it once they shift

johnnyd2k2 08-09-2008 09:02 AM

I've got a set of used oem bulbs if you're interested I'll sell em to ya PM me.

wyche89 08-09-2008 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyd2k2 (Post 6565383)
I've got a set of used oem bulbs if you're interested I'll sell em to ya PM me.

thanx man, but i just ordered some off of ebay last night

knight_yyz 08-09-2008 10:00 AM

you could try the philips ultinons, they are 6000k, very nice output with a hint of blue.

wyche89 08-09-2008 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz (Post 6565417)
you could try the philips ultinons, they are 6000k, very nice output with a hint of blue.

i heard about those, but i know it has less output than the stock headlights, and thats one of gripes with my current headlights.. too dim.. i think im just gonna stick with regular phillips d2rs and see how those work out

hi-tek22 08-11-2008 12:16 PM

hey wyche can you point me in the direction of that ebay link of yours....im thinking of swapping my bulbs as well

wyche89 08-11-2008 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by hi-tek22 (Post 6568940)
hey wyche can you point me in the direction of that ebay link of yours....im thinking of swapping my bulbs as well

sure.. just go to ebay and search "phillips d2r" i got mine for like $98 shipped, and there were 3 sets available from that vendor when i got em.. another vendor had them for $119, so you should be able to find some

hi-tek22 08-12-2008 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by wyche89 (Post 6569800)
sure.. just go to ebay and search "phillips d2r" i got mine for like $98 shipped, and there were 3 sets available from that vendor when i got em.. another vendor had them for $119, so you should be able to find some

kool, appreciate it bro.....

EDIT: i can only seem to find sellers selling USED bulbs.....

wyche89 08-12-2008 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by hi-tek22 (Post 6570591)
kool, appreciate it bro.....

EDIT: i can only seem to find sellers selling USED bulbs.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-PHI...spagenameZWDVW

those are the $119 new ones... the ones i got seemed to have disappeared

wyche89 08-16-2008 07:15 PM

alright, i put the bulbs in today.. they're yellow as hell! lol.. they look like halogens.. i hope they change soon.. im riding around with my headlights on all the time now trying to speed up the process

CMax03 08-16-2008 08:16 PM

What kelvin are they? 4300K?

lowincash 08-16-2008 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by wyche89 (Post 6577710)
alright, i put the bulbs in today.. they're yellow as hell! lol.. they look like halogens.. i hope they change soon.. im riding around with my headlights on all the time now trying to speed up the process

at least output is better right? :D

hi-tek22 08-16-2008 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by lowincash (Post 6577852)

yea thats what im wondering....if they are better than the stockers as far as output

lowincash 08-16-2008 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by hi-tek22 (Post 6577895)
yea thats what im wondering....if they are better than the stockers as far as output

well stock uses 4100-4300k bulbs...and when new they are more yellow and that's when they give the best output. after a few hundred hours of use the color gets more whiter to somewhere like 5000k+ and the output will start to slowly decrease as the bulb ages. but i think you won't really notice the change that much since you are use to it...so going from a used set of 4100-4300k bulbs to new ones you'll most likely notice that the new bulbs give out more light.

SleepersOwn 08-17-2008 06:27 AM

Just a question but, why didn't you go with 50w 6000k bulbs from automax95 ? I think his are like $85 shipped, and give a way better lumens output than stockers ( at least that's what the lumens chart shows ).

Kevlo911 08-17-2008 06:53 AM

85126+/85122+ IS/are NOT 5000k. They are 4300k. The + version bulbs resist color shift more and have greater lumen output. Check hidplanet forums for more info.

CMax03 08-17-2008 10:14 AM

Any HID is better than Halogen...I wouldn't be concerned about that color spectrum thing. The lumens are more important! No matter how pretty those blue lights may be you can definitely cast a shadow of that car next to you with your headlights thru their illumination on the ground in front out them and their pretty blue lights!

wyche89 08-17-2008 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by lowincash (Post 6577852)

actually it's hard to remember, because i haven't had my phillips stock ones in there for a while.. i had some aftermarket bulbs in there just before these new ones.. but the aftermarket ones i just had in were not as bright as my old stock ones.. and these new ones are better than the aftermarket.. i still have to aim them, but i can tell already that they're better

Originally Posted by SleepersOwn (Post 6578097)
Just a question but, why didn't you go with 50w 6000k bulbs from automax95 ? I think his are like $85 shipped, and give a way better lumens output than stockers ( at least that's what the lumens chart shows ).

i've had several aftermarket bulbs in there, and i've noticed that most of them are lower quality.. they don't have hardly any cutoff, and the output is more dull than stock bulbs.. as far as the 50 watt bulbs you speak of, i was thinking about those, but i didn't want them to be so bright that they would blind people.. then i would have to aim them down, and i wouldn't be able to see as far.. too much to go through.. the stock bulbs on these cars look very good, so i figured i'd go back to stock like i had originally

Kevlo911 08-17-2008 11:22 AM

You need 50w ballast to run 50w bulbs, and usually aftermarket 50w bulbs are overdriven 35w bulbs, the only true 50w bulb I know of is the phillips DL50

hi-tek22 08-17-2008 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911 (Post 6578278)
You need 50w ballast to run 50w bulbs, and usually aftermarket 50w bulbs are overdriven 35w bulbs, the only true 50w bulb I know of is the phillips DL50

i think your right, those are the only true 50watt bulbs that ive seen also

wyche89 08-18-2008 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911 (Post 6578278)

ohh ok.. i've heard about people running those "50 watt" bulbs from different vendors.. :laugh:

wyche89 08-18-2008 10:20 PM

they're hard to see sometimes becasue the color blends in with the street lights on the road.. i feel like every other car on the road now.. they need to hurry up and color shift! lol

also, after aiming these lights, i notice something.. did anybody notice any hot spots when getting new phillips bulbs? i have like a hot line on my left beam pattern.. also the cutoff isnt that clear.. i could have sworn that the original bubs were sharper than this... do the hotspots go away, or the cutoff become any clearer once the bulbs shift?

lowincash 08-19-2008 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by wyche89 (Post 6580301)
they're hard to see sometimes becasue the color blends in with the street lights on the road.. i feel like every other car on the road now.. they need to hurry up and color shift! lol

also, after aiming these lights, i notice something.. did anybody notice any hot spots when getting new phillips bulbs? i have like a hot line on my left beam pattern.. also the cutoff isnt that clear.. i could have sworn that the original bubs were sharper than this... do the hotspots go away, or the cutoff become any clearer once the bulbs shift?

the hot spot might be caused by the position of the bulb...i don't know but i'm just thinking it might be the bulb isn't sitting flushed or straight? you got D2R bulbs right? I tried putting D2S bulbs in my car and the glare was horrible, hot spots everywhere and output sucked.

wyche89 08-19-2008 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by lowincash (Post 6580629)
the hot spot might be caused by the position of the bulb...i don't know but i'm just thinking it might be the bulb isn't sitting flushed or straight? you got D2R bulbs right? I tried putting D2S bulbs in my car and the glare was horrible, hot spots everywhere and output sucked.

yeah, i got D2R bulbs... i even compared them to the old D2R bulbs i had, and almost everything was the same.. there was a slight difference in the base of the bulbs where the new bulbs were missing like a little metal ring or something like that.. but i wouldnt think that would make a difference.. i aimed them about an inch higher than the reccomended height.. i could try switching the bulbs around and aiming them again.. maybe that'll make a difference

wyche89 08-23-2008 10:38 PM

ok, i switched the 2 bulbs around, and WOW.. i did not expect this... the cutoff is MUCH sharper on the passenger headlight now.. the drivers side cutoff is still ok, but not as sharp as the passenger.. the hotspot on the drivers side went away too.. i guess it does have something to do with the position of the bulbs in the housing.. but they lock in there the same way every time, so how cold it be different? :gotme: oh well.. i know im not touching the passenger headlight again, cause that thing is nice.. lol.. i'm gonna take out the drivers headlight, and put it back in to see if that makes a difference

lowincash 08-23-2008 11:40 PM

hmm did you check the bulbs to see if that cover thing on the actual bulb is the same length? or if there's any scratch or something?

wyche89 08-24-2008 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by lowincash (Post 6586350)
hmm did you check the bulbs to see if that cover thing on the actual bulb is the same length? or if there's any scratch or something?

the cover thing? i'm not sure what you mean... but i did compare the bulbs to make sure they were the same, and they were as far as i could tell... no scratches.. but why would one bulb make the cutoff so much sharper in one housing than in the other? neither bulb was sharp on the first install, then when i switched them, only the right side was sharp.. the only thing i can think of is the install.. i must have f'd up some way the first time and got it right the 2nd time

lowincash 08-24-2008 12:08 PM

you know how D2R bulbs have the gray shield thing on the bulb...whereas the D2S bulbs don't have anything on it. Maybe that shield thing on the bulb was scratched or not in the same length or something...i'm not sure i'm just throwing out ideas :p but it can also be that when you put the bulb in the housing it wasn't sitting properly...even if the bulb is angled slightly off the cutoff won't be sharp and stuff.

wyche89 08-24-2008 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by lowincash (Post 6586635)
but it can also be that when you put the bulb in the housing it wasn't sitting properly...even if the bulb is angled slightly off the cutoff won't be sharp and stuff.

that was probably it... i took it out and put it back in once, and didnt notice that much of a difference.. i'll try it again sometime later.. i just wish they'd hurry up and color shift man! that yellow looks so ugly and dull

SleepersOwn 08-24-2008 11:34 PM

Crykie, i really have to readjust my lights. I put in my 50w bulbs and they look great but the cutoff has been pretty lame since my stock lights. I have some scratches and whatnot on the headlight lens itself so i'm going to buff them out and adjust them to see how it works out. I just sat in my friends 04 TL and MY GOD i didn't know their HID cutoff look like that. It's like, perfect ! Mines look really sh!tty compared to his....

wyche89 08-25-2008 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by SleepersOwn (Post 6587374)
I just sat in my friends 04 TL and MY GOD i didn't know their HID cutoff look like that. It's like, perfect ! Mines look really sh!tty compared to his....

HID projectors > HID reflectors

SleepersOwn 08-26-2008 04:52 AM

This may sound kinda noobish but ...

So that's the difference eh ? lol i just thought they were all the same ... HID = HID whatever lol.

Obviously i'm still new to the whole light thing. I guess that's why i always hear of Acura retrofits, hmmm...sounds like it's time for some new searching.