Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Cattman Headers, Fastcat, Catback Full Exhaust Only (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/584293-cattman-headers-fastcat-catback-full-exhaust-only.html)

Deckdout2 03-03-2009 11:42 AM

Cattman Headers, Fastcat, Catback Full Exhaust Only

I'm beginning to get a little irritated with my setup and let me tell you why. Nothing against Brian or Cattman products as they are all great quality. My biggest itch is with my unforgivable rattle towards the rear of the car. It rattles on idle, it rattles on acceleration, it rattles when I decelerate, and it rattles on turns. It knocks occasionally as well, but I've seem to "semi" fix that issue by dynamating the rear beam axle where the bend on the b-pipe is that goes over the axle. It fixes it to a certain extent. I can't see to understand why there is so much rattle though, and it irritates me. I've got new exhaust hangers from a donor car that I will try and see if that helps. I know that these exhaust components compared to stock is very light, and that there is hardly any tension on the hangers to pull it away from the body but it still shouldn't rattle all the time as much as it does. Even with the rear section and stock everything else, there was just knocking. A few have experienced it, but any suggestions on how to rid of this annoying rattle?

mtrai760 03-03-2009 11:50 AM

You need to figure out exactly where it is contacting if your ever going to fix it. Also, don't use 'donor' hangers, just buy new ones, they are cheap, especially compared to what you paid for your new exhaust components. Walker exhaust sells some aftermarket ones, but I have found that they do not last as long as OEM.

Progress 03-03-2009 12:32 PM

Cattman SS exhaust components are lighter than stock?

HotshotVQ35 03-03-2009 12:37 PM

while i have HS headers/stock cat/cattman cattback, my exhasut was hitting all over the place. IMO, the headers seemed to push the exhaust back like an inch or so(the catback went on 1st and didnt rattle anywhere, problems arose when the headers went on) do yourself a favor, take it to a muff shop, put it on the lift and shake the crap out of the exhaust. they ended up cutting off 1-2" off the b-pipe, and now it doesnt rattle at all, and im on all stock hangars..

blkAEmax82 03-03-2009 02:53 PM

:sprint:

Go to the muffler shop and get it looked at. When I installed my B-Pipe I notice it was actually hitting where the hanger hangs from (if that makes sense). So they welded up a new hanger on the other side of the b-pipe curve.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...nCaps001-1.jpg

CMax03 03-03-2009 05:37 PM

Yes I just had my resonator section of my Cattman B-pipe shorted .5"-1.0" to eliminate the heat shield interference and rattling after installing Cattman Headers. I had the resonator cut at it's forward flange and reinstalled the flange and everything is nice and tight now! I'm sure any decent shop can handle the task with ease!

Deckdout2 03-03-2009 06:00 PM

Appreciate all the replies. I will have a muffler shop investigate this and see what they can come up with.

arthur glazier 03-03-2009 06:14 PM

I to had knocking exhaust, come to find out my front and back engine bushings with 150k miles on them were gone., and making my engine move allover the place.

Deckdout2 03-03-2009 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by arthur glazier (Post 6908573)
I to had knocking exhaust, come to find out my front and back engine bushings with 150k miles on them were gone., and making my engine move allover the place.

I wish that was the problem, but just about every mount and bushing was replaced with Energy Suspension Polyurethane. The only thing I don't have is the rear trailing arm bushing. Too much work and not enough time to deal with it.

ColdSHO 03-04-2009 09:45 AM

im suprised i didnt have any issues with my hotshot/frankecar setup. i replaced all my hangers with new heavier duty ones right away. i had more problems with my old warpspeed y-pipe than i did with my headers. i was warned that the headers would push the catback too far, but it didnt seem to cause any problems.

blkAEmax82 03-04-2009 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2 (Post 6908541)
Appreciate all the replies. I will have a muffler shop investigate this and see what they can come up with.

Keep us posted !

SurraTT 03-04-2009 12:23 PM

same with my exhaust. its a custom bent one. and it used to rattle like mad. it was hitting at the muffler. i used zip ties to hold the exhaust more securely to the car.

ill take pics

edit: did this happen AFTER the catmann B pipe? cuz to my knowledge right after the install it was stock b pipe and i didn't notice a rattle.

Stormzusmc 03-04-2009 12:27 PM

yes i have a lame rattle at idle if im in drive...i just put it in neutral to stop it....going to get it fixed soon tho

Deckdout2 03-04-2009 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by SurraTT (Post 6910263)
same with my exhaust. its a custom bent one. and it used to rattle like mad. it was hitting at the muffler. i used zip ties to hold the exhaust more securely to the car.

ill take pics

edit: did this happen AFTER the catmann B pipe? cuz to my knowledge right after the install it was stock b pipe and i didn't notice a rattle.

The knocking was prior to the b-pipe, but the rattling is after the install of the Cattman b-pipe.