Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Underdrive pulleys (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/585183-underdrive-pulleys.html)

NissanTun3r 03-13-2009 07:49 PM

Underdrive pulleys

I have a 2k max. Would this mod be worthwhile, do we see any negligible hp increases? And do our accessories)ac,power steering, etc.) get negatively affected?

Scottwax 03-13-2009 08:07 PM

Your accessories will be fine. The main gains from underdrive pulleys is not that they turn accessories slower but that they weigh so much less. You might be looking at 5-8 hp and better throttle response. Underdriving the alternator may also help it last longer.

moody 03-13-2009 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by NissanTun3r (Post 6928366)
I have a 2k max. Would this mod be worthwhile, do we see any negligible hp increases? And do our accessories)ac,power steering, etc.) get negatively affected?

Have you found a place that sells them for our 5th gens? I went to unorthodox-racing but I didn't see any listed there. Any ideas???

rroderiques77 03-13-2009 09:48 PM

Unorthodox has them for 5th and 5.5 gens.

4DSCDriver 03-13-2009 10:32 PM

I might be interested in this as well. It's coming on drivebelt and timing belt service time and that would give me the perfect oppertunity to install them. Keep us posted on your progress if you find them and install them.

NisMo-Max 03-14-2009 02:42 AM

I have an Unorthodox Underdrive pulley for sale if your lookin for one! U just got to buy the belt for it because it doesnt come with it anyways..! I took it off my 5th gen , it looks imaculate, here is a pic.

Shoot me a Pm if your interested! Just thought i would throw it out there!!

https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c...DSC00278-1.jpg

MIK3 03-14-2009 02:58 AM

If you're worried about under-driving the accessories, go stock diameter (Ultra Sc model if I'm not mistaken). I do not believe that they need a belt replacing and you'll still get the advantage of a ligher weight pulley. I plan on this in the future.

johnnyd2k2 03-14-2009 05:03 AM

I have the stock diameter UR pulley and it definatly makes some power not a whole lot but its noticiable. The most noticable thing is how much faster the engine revs up now. I considered getting the underdrive setup but after searching found that its hard to find the correct size belts for it. Its a pretty cheap part and I think it's worth it I also found that I am getting better gas milage now too so thats a definate bonus.

moody 03-14-2009 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77 (Post 6928698)
Unorthodox has them for 5th and 5.5 gens.

My bad... when I searched before, I was looking at "pulley sets", which came back with nothing.

Here they are...

http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/sear...92&Category=-1

NisTech 03-14-2009 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by 4DSCDriver (Post 6928728)
I might be interested in this as well. It's coming on drivebelt and timing belt service time and that would give me the perfect oppertunity to install them. Keep us posted on your progress if you find them and install them.

no timing belt, chain instead!
no maintenance req.

arthur glazier 03-14-2009 09:42 AM

I got the unothodoxracing underdrive pulley on a automatic, and it did not feel any differents. My lights and gauges also dim at idel. I know im the odd man on this post so far, but i would not get it. Just my 2 cents

moody 03-14-2009 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by arthur glazier (Post 6929009)
I got the unothodoxracing underdrive pulley on a automatic, and it did not feel any differents. My lights and gauges also dim at idel. I know im the odd man on this post so far, but i would not get it. Just my 2 cents

Sounds like you may have got the "underdrive" version and not the "stock size", correct?

NisMo-Max 03-14-2009 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by moody (Post 6929049)
Sounds like you may have got the "underdrive" version and not the "stock size", correct?

The underdrive pulley and the stock size light pulley should produce the same horsepower i believe and the same gains, its just a preference of which version you like! maybe the difference is changing the belt.. and i guess depends on how much cheaper you can find it for?

NisMo-Max 03-14-2009 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by moody (Post 6929049)

Also if u look on the link u posted for the website, the underdrive pulley is still lighter then the Stock crank size lightweight pulley, which means the more lighter the more gain.!

Revs2Hard 03-14-2009 01:06 PM

I have been looking at getting the stock diamiter UR pully too. My worry is if I already have the 12lb flywheel wont I be taking to much weight off the crank? I think it will cause a vibration in the bottom end.

NisMo-Max 03-14-2009 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Revs2Hard (Post 6929160)
I have been looking at getting the stock diamiter UR pully too. My worry is if I already have the 12lb flywheel wont I be taking to much weight off the crank? I think it will cause a vibration in the bottom end.

I used my UDP with my Fidanza Flywheel, no problems whats so ever, Actually my car would have amazing torque when take off and gets to the redline faster!!! Amazing!!