5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

is my transmission gone???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:06 PM

is my transmission gone???

what i have is a 2000 maxima se with a 5 speed transmission, currently it stuck in 2nd gear, no matter where i move the shifter it only stays in second gear, no reverse.
I was able to drive the car on my ramps and had my friend inside move the gear shifter, everything seems to be ok on the outside, I can ever hear that the gears are going in, but I only have one gear????
Anyone ever had that problem before????
Is my transmission blown???
Old 05-26-2011, 11:21 PM

i've heard of this in other Make's and Models, but only in automatics. yikes :-/
Old 05-27-2011, 04:43 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Sounds like hydraulics or a bad clutch. Were there any previous warning signs that your transmission may have been going? It's more common to have a clutch disintegrate or a hydraulic problem than for a transmission to go south that quickly. There really isn't enough information to tell for sure. You said you bled your hydraulic system. Are you sure the MC and SC are still functioning?
Old 05-27-2011, 05:17 AM

yea that sounds more like clutch problems w/ not being able to 'go in'/get out of gear. check your fluid
Old 05-27-2011, 06:33 AM

the hydraulics on the system are OK, we bled the system and the fork is actually moving at least 2 inches... I know that the clutch is working b/c when I engage it the car doesn't move, when I let go she moves.
As for the failing warning signs I know that sometimes 3rd gear was kind of hard to engage, and sometimes reverse will not go in unless i do 4th then reverse???
I had to start it twice in second gear and once in reverse so I can get it back to my garage...
My assumption is that probably the fork inside the transmission that moves the gears is junked??? Like I said when I get the under the car and someone moves the gear shifter I can hear gears moving inside...
Old 05-27-2011, 07:15 AM

how many miles on the transmission? does the transmission/is there any noise?
Old 05-27-2011, 07:28 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by L_U_D_I_AMaxima
the hydraulics on the system are OK, we bled the system and the fork is actually moving at least 2 inches... I know that the clutch is working b/c when I engage it the car doesn't move, when I let go she moves.
As for the failing warning signs I know that sometimes 3rd gear was kind of hard to engage, and sometimes reverse will not go in unless i do 4th then reverse???
I had to start it twice in second gear and once in reverse so I can get it back to my garage...
My assumption is that probably the fork inside the transmission that moves the gears is junked??? Like I said when I get the under the car and someone moves the gear shifter I can hear gears moving inside...
Sounds like you're sure it's not the clutch. If it's the transmission, does it really matter what failed? A rebuild is going to be more expensive than a used trans regardless of what failed inside the transmission. Unless you have rebuild experience and can do it yourself.

I'm guessing you have the stock 5spd. You didn't have any bearing noise? If that's the case, a synchronizer probably finally fragmented and caused the entire trans to fail. Hypotheses are interesting, but you'll have to drop it to know for certain.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:13 AM

i swear out trannys are made out of glass!! ugh!! I am on my 8th tranny right now
Old 05-27-2011, 10:42 AM

175,000 miles on the car/tranny, just a few days ago I finished a 3000mile trip with my parents in law with the car, no issues, no noises, no rattles, no shakes???
I just spoke with someone from work, he actually believes that there is a pin that connects the shifter rod with the insides of the transmission, he also told me that even if the gear shifter is moving and "engaging" into gears it doesn't meant that the gears are actually moving. basically I am loosing a "rod" connection between the shifter link and the internals of the transmission??
Does anyone have .pdf file or a service manual of the breakdown of the transmission?
Old 05-27-2011, 10:50 AM

FYI i replaced my manual transmission at 183k #IJS

maxima transmissions ftl. i hope for your case its just the rod missing a pin..
Old 05-28-2011, 05:53 AM

Replaced mine right arOund the same time as well 182k, it had bad bearings causing it to leak, then eventually a bad synchro.

8 trannys?!?! How is that even possible?
Old 05-28-2011, 07:46 AM

My auto tranny is still working fine, but slipping(1-2, 2-3) and I am at 176k miles. Might have to get mine rebuilt sometime soon before it goes out.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:43 AM

i would say it could be a problem with the shifting rod and or syncro's ...
Old 05-28-2011, 07:15 PM

I 2nd jliner
Old 05-29-2011, 10:25 AM

the unexplained laws of physics.... WTF????
After having my trusted mechanic come over to take a look at the car, he also came to the conclusion that something is messed up inside the transmission either a fork or a connecting pin...
I was really depressed that my transmission is junk... With his and my friend's help we pushed the car of the ramps and there she was sitting behind the garage
My frustration level was out of control, I told my friend, get in, I am going to blow second gear as well... I will be the last person to ever get anything out of that transmission, we made it to the end of my alley and out of habit I hit the clutch and grabbed the gear shifter, what do you know first gear was back ???? I immediately felt that I had neutral as well what is going on here??? After we got back on the main street all my gears were back, smother shifting than ever, was I dreaming? we got to a parking lot where I tested reverse as well, no problems....
Since Friday night I put over 100 miles on my car, like nothing ever happened
the only explanation was that we rolled the car backwards from the ramps and after that everything was back to normal, everything went away like it never happened.
My $7 new brake/clutch metal line works great and it is direct line from the MC to the SC, we bled it in about 3 min and the clutch feels amazing....
Go figure... all I know is that my transmission is back and is shifting better than ever before....
Old 05-29-2011, 10:30 AM

My next project is to replace the transmission oil, any recommendations on which brand/type i should use?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:00 PM

I'm going to guess that something somewhere is either loose or mounted wrong, and when you went up the ramps you torqued it back into place.

One question, if you said it before I missed it: Were you able to shift around in the gears with the engine off? If yes, then I'd say it was clutch related. If no, then it's rod/linkage related.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Montego Murph
One question, if you said it before I missed it: Were you able to shift around in the gears with the engine off? If yes, then I'd say it was clutch related. If no, then it's rod/linkage related.
I was not able to shift, basically the gear shifter will go into 1, 2, 4 and 5 th gear, but the transmission will only be stuck in second. The clutch was working b/c when engaged the car will not move, when released she will move only forward in second I absolutely have no idea no clue what happened, but like I said she is back to normal
Old 05-30-2011, 04:34 AM

replace the transmission homie...no use in trying to change transmission fluid now. when you go back try to get some redline or something comparable. search for MTF and you'll find good recommendations. theres a vendor on here that sells MTF for pretty decent that i got mine from and my shifts are pretty nice. check him out
Old 05-31-2011, 07:43 AM

talkinghorse in the group deals section has GL-4 75W/90 of Amsoil for a great price. That's what I installed when I did my transmission and I have no complaints.