Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Ball Joints / tie rod (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/594116-ball-joints-tie-rod.html)

MaxgtrBlue 07-06-2009 07:08 PM

Ball Joints / tie rod

Hi

I have been searching for two days and can not find any one who has done or has a write up on DIY on (2002 SE) removing and installing new ball joints on the control arm and removing and installing the tie rod outer.

I have even searched the FSM for 2002 maxima and they barely even mention ball joint removal.

Does anyone have a write up and or images on the install.

IT would help so much this weekend when im taking apart my friends suspension.

Thank again!

CMax03 07-06-2009 07:24 PM

most folks on the Org replace the entire LCA which is time effective but the balljoint can be pressed out and the replacement pressed in! A volkwagon balljoint tool can be used in this application without removing the LCA!

MaxgtrBlue 07-06-2009 07:30 PM

I was going to do that, but my friend replaced his control arm bushings with enrgy suspension and he didnt do the ball joint at the same time. So rather than paying to remove the bushings it would be easier and cost effective to just replace the ball joint...

JAMAICANLOVRBOY 07-06-2009 07:47 PM

I actually need my ball joints changed. I went on eBay and found control arm kit which includes lower control arms with ball joints already pressed in, inner/outer tie rods, sway bar links, and new bushings for $139.00 for the 4th gen. A little more for 5th gen offcourse. But that's another way u can save urself some hassle and get ur car riding like new again

Metal Maxima 07-06-2009 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by JAMAICANLOVRBOY (Post 7103553)
I actually need my ball joints changed. I went on eBay and found control arm kit which includes lower control arms with ball joints already pressed in, inner/outer tie rods, sway bar links, and new bushings for $139.00 for the 4th gen. A little more for 5th gen offcourse. But that's another way u can save urself some hassle and get ur car riding like new again

I got the same kit. Save yourself the trouble and just get the kit. If you're planning on DIY,brace yourself for some nightmarish hardware removal. Have a blowtorch, PB blaster, and angle grinder on the ready, as well as a random object to pummel mercilessly when oxidation proves to be the most unwelcome thing next to your s/o missing their period.

anomaly117 07-06-2009 08:21 PM

sounds tough. sucks, i gotta do mine too. wish i had the equipment to do it.

Deckdout2 07-06-2009 08:24 PM

I've got control arms for sale which can easily have new ball joints installed and swapped out.

Metal Maxima 07-06-2009 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by anomaly117 (Post 7103621)
sounds tough. sucks, i gotta do mine too. wish i had the equipment to do it.

A propane torch and angle grinder are really all you need. Just chop it all to **** and reinstall.

str8max 07-06-2009 10:13 PM

I did all of this last year on my 3rd Gen..... Gee 2 days of hell.

GL if you decide to do it yourself!

Czerkas 07-07-2009 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by STILO (Post 7104919)
nice

adding to post count

anyway, when I tried to change my ball joint, the castle nut was so completely rusted on. No torch or pb blaster could touch it. I took it to my buddy with air tools and he went at it with a chisel for OVER a half an hour. I guess my point is .. be prepared for this one.

Metal Maxima 07-07-2009 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Czerkas (Post 7104939)
adding to post count

anyway, when I tried to change my ball joint, the castle nut was so completely rusted on. No torch or pb blaster could touch it. I took it to my buddy with air tools and he went at it with a chisel for OVER a half an hour. I guess my point is .. be prepared for this one.

Case and point. I did that for one side, the other side was SO bad, I had to use a dremel the cross-section the SOB, THEN chisel!!!

MaxgtrBlue 07-08-2009 06:58 PM

How come no has made a write up yet? Or at least some decent pictures?

Love_00_Max 07-08-2009 07:16 PM

Search in both 5th and 4th gen forums, you will find a post from me. Always search the 4th gen forums for answers since they most probably have the answer to most of our questions!!!:)

Metal Maxima 07-08-2009 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by MaxgtrBlue (Post 7106877)
How come no has made a write up yet? Or at least some decent pictures?

Because it's long, tiring, and requires a lot of time and energy...I would imagine all whom have done this are more focused on the job at hand then taking pics.

Love_00_Max 07-10-2009 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima (Post 7106928)
Because it's long, tiring, and requires a lot of time and energy...I would imagine all whom have done this are more focused on the job at hand then taking pics.

Absolutely right. The job is quite intense, you will need to rent the tools (though you will need to buy the snap ring pliers). It took me for one side from wheel removal to installation of the balljoint 4 hrs. Once I learnt the trick the second side was done in 2 hrs. So essentially you will be squating 6 hrs for the damnnn job to complete. Put the new balljoints in the freezer and take it out for installation when you are ready to push the new one into the LCA (putting in the freezer overnight will ever so little reduces the dimensions to allow for a clean push into the LCA).

secondtonone317 07-10-2009 12:50 PM

^ loving that freezer idea. I used a ball joint tool to press in my new ones that I bought from autozone. Its not that bad of a job really. Just will be time consuming.

Slv2K3Maxima 05-30-2011 11:17 AM

Anybody know what size the two bolts and the one castle nut on the lower ball joint are? I lifted the car up ready to do this job, but I didn't have the proper size sockets. I forgot to measure the nuts before putting it back down, and I really don't want to lift it back up just to measure it before going out to get a new socket.

If someone could chime in and help me out that would be great.

Thanks!

NissanTun3r 05-30-2011 11:41 AM

I am about to do the same, but I am just buying new control arms, they come with new bushings and ball joints already installed!

http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Nissan/Maxima/Mevotech/Control_Arm/2000/SE/6_Cyl_3-dot-0L/MEMS20458.html?location=Front_Suspension-comma-_Driver_Side-comma-_Lower`

I am also going to install new sway bar links too

Slv2K3Maxima 05-30-2011 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by NissanTun3r (Post 8064723)
I am about to do the same, but I am just buying new control arms, they come with new bushings and ball joints already installed!

http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Nissan/Maxima/Mevotech/Control_Arm/2000/SE/6_Cyl_3-dot-0L/MEMS20458.html?location=Front_Suspension-comma-_Driver_Side-comma-_Lower`

I am also going to install new sway bar links too

Nice man. Yeah, I went the same route. The new arms were only $60 a piece from Import Replacement Parts up in Seattle. They were the OEM ones too so I just went that route.

Now if someone would just please chime in and tell me what size the bolts are so I can go out to SEARS and purchase it.

NmexMAX 05-31-2011 06:53 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/7742662-post11.html

This might be useful as well:

http://forums.maxima.org/7740813-post4.html