Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Repair the Repair, Pt. #2: When in neutral, RPMs spike when wheel turned...?! (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/594122-repair-repair-pt-2-when-neutral-rpms-spike-when-wheel-turned.html)

Metal Maxima 07-06-2009 08:10 PM

Repair the Repair, Pt. #2: When in neutral, RPMs spike when wheel turned...?!

Alright, here's the first part in a two-parter: I just had some work done to the Max, as follows: Tranny rebuild, controls arms replaced, upper tie-rod ends replaced, ball joints replaced, end links replaced, new tires put on, all motor mounts replaced, subframe bushings replaced, alignment performed. Now, with all that said and done, while in neutral, if I turn the wheel left or right, the rpms spike about 100-200rpm, then settle back down.

This problem did NOT exist before the repairs were done.

So, obviously something is wrong...but wtf could it be? :nupe500:

I'm selling the Max very shortly, but I DON'T want to pass this off to the next owner...

Professor 07-06-2009 08:19 PM

There is a sensor on the power stearing line , above the right front strut mount, it may be bad, my car does it also but not that much in rpm. the sensor detects pressure and compensates because it puts a small load on the engine when the pump is churning/

Metal Maxima 07-06-2009 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Professor (Post 7103612)
There is a sensor on the power stearing line , above the right front strut mount, it may be bad, my car does it also but not that much in rpm. the sensor detects pressure and compensates because it puts a small load on the engine when the pump is churning/

Hmmm...what about the pump itself?

nakis 07-06-2009 08:21 PM

That is normal.

If it didnt do that before, thank your mechanic because he fixed it.

Professor 07-06-2009 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima (Post 7103618)
Hmmm...what about the pump itself?

if its not noisy ide say its just normal, mine jumps around when i turn the wheel in neutrel also.

Metal Maxima 07-06-2009 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Professor (Post 7103630)
if its not noisy ide say its just normal, mine jumps around when i turn the wheel in neutrel also.

Maybe, but I can't accept this from a car that never had this problem until REPAIRS were performed, knowwhatImean?

pmohr 07-06-2009 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima (Post 7103649)
Maybe, but I can't accept this from a car that never had this problem until REPAIRS were performed, knowwhatImean?

Again, who's to say it wasn't a problem the entire time you had it, and it was fixed?

It's completely normal for the RPMs to rise when you're putting a load on the PS system.

Don't even worry about it, that's how the system is designed.

If you don't believe me:
http://pics.boredmder.com/maxima.org...-operation.png

Czerkas 07-06-2009 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima (Post 7103649)

dude listen to pmohr, in my experience as a watcher of the forum ... he is never wrong...

pmohr 07-06-2009 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Czerkas (Post 7103774)
dude listen to pmohr, in my experience as a watcher of the forum ... he is never wrong...

You'd be surprised...

P. Samson 07-06-2009 11:52 PM

A 100 to 200 RPM increase as described by the thread originator when the steering wheel is turned off center sounds excessive. A momentary "twitch"......yes, a "spike" as described.......no. Check that the power steering air control valve "vacuum" hose between the valve and the intake duct plenum (by the stock air filter housing) is connected. The PS air control valve is just in front of the firewall, just under the PS pressure switch by the RH strut tower. If this hose is not connected the air pulled into the intake when the steering wheel is turned is effectively a vacuum leak, and will screw up the idle.

Metal Maxima 07-07-2009 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Czerkas (Post 7103774)

Uhhh, no. While he is without doubt arguably the most knowledgable guy here, that does not mean he is always correct.

pmhor - maybe, but it spikes...it's not a small, un-noticable spike.

Samson - I'm going to see if this is the problem and take a look.

Dannyr450 07-07-2009 06:57 PM

If you sit there and pump the breaks it does the samething. My car has been like that ever since i can remember. You shouldnt worry about it

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima (Post 7103589)
Alright, here's the first part in a two-parter: I just had some work done to the Max, as follows: Tranny rebuild, controls arms replaced, upper tie-rod ends replaced, ball joints replaced, end links replaced, new tires put on, all motor mounts replaced, subframe bushings replaced, alignment performed. Now, with all that said and done, while in neutral, if I turn the wheel left or right, the rpms spike about 100-200rpm, then settle back down.

This problem did NOT exist before the repairs were done.

So, obviously something is wrong...but wtf could it be? :nupe500:

I'm selling the Max very shortly, but I DON'T want to pass this off to the next owner...

jasonmax 07-07-2009 10:43 PM

normal
maybe you didnt notice it before.