5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My impressions of the Hotshot Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 07:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My impressions of the Hotshot Headers

The install was long and there was quite a bit of work involved. I am mechanically inclined, but would not have been able to tackle this install without my buddy who is a mechanic. Install took about 6 hours. To get to the bolts on the front manifold, the radiator has to be removed. To get to the bolts on the rear, the crossmember under the engine must be removed along with some heat shields and things.
We had the header portions installed and were putting on the down pipe portion. The pipe did not seem to line up AT ALL. I was quite upset. What we had to do was unbolt the front header and line up everything. We then bolted the down pipe to the headers and then tightened the front manifold. Then it fit quite well. The two holes underneath the car where the down pipe bolts into the car did not line up though. We just left the bolts out because the pipes are so light compared to the oem it seemed fine. Some instruction on the install would have been nice before hand.
On to the good stuff. The car is LOUD. You can see my mods below and the car absolutely screams. It is almost annoyingly loud, but I think I'll be able to get used to it. It is very intimidating. The power increase is definitely there. I raced my buddy's STI and he couldn't believe how much faster my car was. My car pulls so hard now! I seriously recommend this modification. Dyno soon to follow.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:20 PM
Oh hi....

<------------waiting for income tax return. this all sounds pretty good
Old 02-23-2004, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by MAXINXS
The install was long and there was quite a bit of work involved. I am mechanically inclined, but would not have been able to tackle this install without my buddy who is a mechanic. Install took about 6 hours. To get to the bolts on the front manifold, the radiator has to be removed. To get to the bolts on the rear, the crossmember under the engine must be removed along with some heat shields and things.
We had the header portions installed and were putting on the down pipe portion. The pipe did not seem to line up AT ALL. I was quite upset. What we had to do was unbolt the front header and line up everything. We then bolted the down pipe to the headers and then tightened the front manifold. Then it fit quite well. The two holes underneath the car where the down pipe bolts into the car did not line up though. We just left the bolts out because the pipes are so light compared to the oem it seemed fine. Some instruction on the install would have been nice before hand.
On to the good stuff. The car is LOUD. You can see my mods below and the car absolutely screams. It is almost annoyingly loud, but I think I'll be able to get used to it. It is very intimidating. The power increase is definitely there. I raced my buddy's STI and he couldn't believe how much faster my car was. My car pulls so hard now! I seriously recommend this modification. Dyno soon to follow.
Cool. Do you have a baseline dyno?
Old 02-23-2004, 07:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Congrats. The headers do seem like they make nice power. Hopefully in the next few days we'll have several dynos to verify this.

What did you do with your rear o2 sensors?

BTW, you need to update your sig.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:24 PM

How much louder would you say it considering your setup? If your setup was kinda loud to begin with, then thats understandable, but if it was on the quiet side and made it loud as you say, then thats a whole other story. I am stock right now, but am considering the frankencar catback that almost sounds stock.

Oh yeah, would anyone recommend putting on headers with a stock exhaust? Would it not make sense since the stock exhaust would cancel out most of the gains from the headers?
Old 02-23-2004, 07:39 PM

for the people that got the headers, do you all still have a lot left on your warranty???
Old 02-23-2004, 07:39 PM

get a wide band dyno on it sounds like a lot of work do you still have warrenty on the car
Old 02-23-2004, 07:49 PM

Glad to see you got them on ok! you got a full exhaust setup, so i'm not surprised its fairly loud. I cant wait to see your dyno on the headers!
Old 02-23-2004, 08:12 PM

how much do they go for?
Old 02-23-2004, 09:46 PM

-My car is stilll under warrantee. It has about 3,000 miles left. The dealer already told me if I put headers on, the powertrain warrantee would be void. Hopefully I don't have to switch back to stock for any dealership work.
-My car is loud like I said. This Altima video is a pretty good comparison. I'd say my exhaust is a little louder, but close. http://activetuning.homelinux.com/vi...dersgreddy.wmv (*right click and save as*)
-The O2 sensors were relocated to the rear.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:04 PM
teddibear703

anyone have any remarks for the 2000 maxima headers?? Can anyone send me a picture of how the headers look in the engine bay? thanks
Old 02-24-2004, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by teddibear703
anyone have any remarks for the 2000 maxima headers?? Can anyone send me a picture of how the headers look in the engine bay? thanks
baseline dyno???
Old 02-24-2004, 04:37 AM
Blu
the tits

thanks for the bit of info in the install. If I get my car back from the dealer by friday I will be installing mine this weekend as well as dynoing them.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:18 AM

i dont understand what makes them so much louder?, i understand with the y pipe it makes it louder b/c you are removing the precats, but with the headers, i dont get it.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:22 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by Tally Max
i dont understand what makes them so much louder?, i understand with the y pipe it makes it louder b/c you are removing the precats, but with the headers, i dont get it.
they are a lot thinner guage metal...
Old 02-24-2004, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by blubyu2k2
thanks for the bit of info in the install. If I get my car back from the dealer by friday I will be installing mine this weekend as well as dynoing them.
do you have a dyno with your warpspeed y-pipe? im intererested in seeing the difference between the headers and just a ypipe.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:06 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by Tally Max
do you have a dyno with your warpspeed y-pipe? im intererested in seeing the difference between the headers and just a ypipe.
yes I will overlay the runviewer files when I get them
Old 02-24-2004, 09:57 AM

Please hurry! I've been waiting and waiting to see some #'s! Can't wait.

Anyone hear from Hotshot yet? Are they making another batch???
Old 02-24-2004, 10:08 AM
I miss the .org!

I'm also waiting for my tax return but more importantly, INDEPENDENT DYNOS
Old 02-24-2004, 12:12 PM

on the 3.5 the y-pipe dosn't replace the pre-cats like the older ones that's why thay are louder on the 3.0 the headers give it a diffrent sound
Old 02-24-2004, 12:39 PM

Sounds good!! Can't wait till Saturday when I get mines installed.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by teddibear703
Old 02-24-2004, 12:59 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by Y2KSESteve
hey steve do you know if the cattman gaskets will line up and work with the hotshot headers?
Old 02-24-2004, 01:07 PM

hey steve do you know if the cattman gaskets will line up and work with the hotshot headers?
I wouldn't see why not, though. A little gasket matching may be in order if it does not.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:10 PM
Blu
the tits

I wouldn't see why not, though. A little gasket matching may be in order if it does not.
I'd like to order the gasket set from cattman if its possible, but I don't want to blow the cash if they dont line up properly. hmmmmm what too do...

Edit just noticed you used my pic of the headers on SWA site. I'll snap a better pic tonight for you guys without my shoes and nextel in it lol.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:35 PM

I'd like to order the gasket set from cattman if its possible, but I don't want to blow the cash if they dont line up properly. hmmmmm what too do...

Edit just noticed you used my pic of the headers on SWA site. I'll snap a better pic tonight for you guys without my shoes and nextel in it lol.

E-mail them to me when you get a chance.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:44 PM
Blu
the tits

E-mail them to me when you get a chance.
you got PM, and I'll send ya the pics in a couple hours
Old 02-24-2004, 07:04 PM

I need to get some different gaskets as well. One of the paper ones leaks a little, plus I prefer the metal type. I'm going to try a muffler shop tomorrow. I am still debating wether I should perform the ecu reset procedure or not.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2kGLE
Cool. Do you have a baseline dyno?
Yes........yes I do!
Old 02-25-2004, 03:33 AM
Blu
the tits

I need to get some different gaskets as well. One of the paper ones leaks a little, plus I prefer the metal type. I'm going to try a muffler shop tomorrow. I am still debating wether I should perform the ecu reset procedure or not.
It couldn't hurt anything, and it only takes about a minute so why not
Old 02-25-2004, 02:48 PM

I like this thread, which is why I am bumping this mug up...
Old 02-26-2004, 07:42 PM
drag racing is for wussies

can anyone tell me privately how to do the ECU reset procedure ? Friend has a 02 Auto his wife has been driving since new, and I told him to reset the ECU. I heard there is some weird trick with opening doors or something, simple EREASE MEMORY in computer don't do anything ? Like with a scan tool ? cause I got one of those if anything.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
can anyone tell me privately how to do the ECU reset procedure ? Friend has a 02 Auto his wife has been driving since new, and I told him to reset the ECU. I heard there is some weird trick with opening doors or something, simple EREASE MEMORY in computer don't do anything ? Like with a scan tool ? cause I got one of those if anything.
Per studman's homepage

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/ecu.asp
Old 02-26-2004, 07:59 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Thanx alot
Old 02-26-2004, 08:17 PM

is the ecu reset procedure acorrect for all 5th gens? or the 5.5s only?
Old 02-26-2004, 08:37 PM

Just had the Hotshot headers installed and Wow! These things are great!
With the windows up it seems to be as quiet as it was stock and slightly louder with the windows down.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 1SWT02
With the windows up it seems to be as quiet as it was stock and slightly louder with the windows down.
Were you the guy that was involved with the prototype?
Old 02-26-2004, 08:44 PM

Yeah it finally went through, they took picture at the same time to write instructions for intallation.

They intake for our car might be their next project
Old 02-27-2004, 07:02 AM

Yeah it finally went through, they took picture at the same time to write instructions for intallation.

They intake for our car might be their next project
what type of rear section are you running?
Old 02-27-2004, 07:09 AM

Do you have stock exhaust other than the headers? Cause the other guys with the headers said they are very loud....

Quick Reply: My impressions of the Hotshot Headers