5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Clutch pedal In = noise at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:02 PM
ahhh! cliMAX!

Clutch pedal not pressed = noise at idle?

On my 00 5spd the clutch makes a noise when I am idling. The noise is kind of like a rattling...
When I depress the clutch the noise is gone.

If I go to the engine bay and hold the part on the transmission where the clutch hits the disengage switch (don't know the technical name), the noise is gone
Basically the two metal pieces are just vibrating against each other and I would like to know the best way to get rid of the noise? Is there something I can tighten so it won't vibrate as much?

Last edited by godlyone; 04-08-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:49 AM
No more Maximas...

Wait, what?

The title says you get the noise when the clutch pedal is in.

Then in your post you say that when you push the clutch pedal in, the noise is gone.

There's no 'disengage switch' in the engine bay, are you talking about the clutch pedal switch? That's on the pedal bracket itself.

Or are you talking about where the slave cylinder pushes against the clutch fork?

Have you tried loosening the bolts holding the slave cylinder in place, and see if it has any play to move it closer to the fork?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:31 AM

Is this vibrating noise coming from the pedal assembly or from the transmission area/clutch fork in the engine compartment?

I used to have a Subaru Legacy and one of the nuts on the clutch cable got loose and the cable allowed for a lot of play and the vibrating noise was basically just the clutch pedal itself vibrating due to a bit of slack. I don't know what to say about that for the Maxima though as it has a hydraulic clutch.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:44 AM
ahhh! cliMAX!

Originally Posted by pmohr
Wait, what?

The title says you get the noise when the clutch pedal is in.

Then in your post you say that when you push the clutch pedal in, the noise is gone.

There's no 'disengage switch' in the engine bay, are you talking about the clutch pedal switch? That's on the pedal bracket itself.

Or are you talking about where the slave cylinder pushes against the clutch fork?

Have you tried loosening the bolts holding the slave cylinder in place, and see if it has any play to move it closer to the fork?
To be clear.. the noise is when the clutch is engaged (Foot off the pedal) and the noise goes away when the clutch is disengaged (foot pressing the pedal)

I believe I am talking about where the slave cylinder pushes against the clutch fork but I'm not 100% Sure (a PIC of that would help)
Old 04-08-2009, 05:27 PM
ahhh! cliMAX!

anyone?
Old 04-08-2009, 05:43 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by godlyone
anyone?
...did you not follow my suggestion above?
Old 04-08-2009, 05:52 PM
ahhh! cliMAX!

...did you not follow my suggestion above?
I'll try it this weekend.. is this a common thing to happen? The noise is quite annoying!
Old 04-08-2009, 05:56 PM
No more Maximas...

I'll try it this weekend.. is this a common thing to happen? The noise is quite annoying!
Not that I've noticed, no.

Also while you have it unbolted, lube the end of the piston where it contacts the clutch fork.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:59 PM

i have that noise, but i was told its the pilot/throw out bearing. the dealer then tried to tell me that i'll need an all new gear box, since it could be internal damages. and just as i was beginning to like this Nissan dealership. my quote from another dealer was $1,700.

i know that sound all too familiar, it sounds like rattling gears, plus upon acceleration each gear gives a high pitch sound. for some reason though, right now it's hardly heard while at idle, without the clutch pedal pressed.

i'm embarassed to drive the damned car like this, eventually i'm going with the Fidanza flywheel, and specs/Exedy stage 2 kit.

Last edited by 02nismaxlegnd94; 04-08-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:06 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by 02nismaxlegnd94
i have that noise, but i was told its the pilot/throw out bearing. the dealer then tried to tell me that i'll need an all new gear box, since it could be internal damages. and just as i was beginning to like this Nissan dealership. my quote from another dealer was $1,700
We don't have a pilot bearing (well, depending on who installed your last clutch kit it may be present, but it's not used).

That's not that bad of a price, considering you can get a brand new HLSD 6MT from Dave B for ~$2k shipped.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:12 PM

We don't have a pilot bearing (well, depending on who installed your last clutch kit it may be present, but it's not used).

That's not that bad of a price, considering you can get a brand new HLSD 6MT from Dave B for ~$2k shipped.
really a limited slip gearbox for 2K, i will definitely look into that option more.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:40 PM

My guess it is the retainer spring that holds the Withdrawal lever ( fork) to the pivot point.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:55 PM

I've been told that if the clutch is out and u hear a rattle. It could be the throw out bearing.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ahmad_1290
I've been told that if the clutch is out and u hear a rattle. It could be the throw out bearing.

i've been told the same.my gearbox is fine, as for i know.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:09 PM
No more Maximas...

The TOB will almost never make any noises when the clutch is engaged. When you clutch in, then you'll hear the TOB.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:43 PM
ahhh! cliMAX!

Like I said.. there is no noise during gear shifting...

and when I reach in and physically hold the fork and the thing that pushes it with my hand (to keep it from shaking) there is no noise...

It seems like there should be a rubber gasket btwn the two pieces so they don't rattle against each other

Also no noise while driving.. so its only the row rpms where they wiggle and make contact
Old 04-08-2009, 07:48 PM
No more Maximas...

Like I said.. there is no noise during gear shifting...

and when I reach in and physically hold the fork and the thing that pushes it with my hand (to keep it from shaking) there is no noise...

It seems like there should be a rubber gasket btwn the two pieces so they don't rattle against each other

Also no noise while driving.. so its only the row rpms where they wiggle and make contact
No one ever said you had noises while shifting gears

If there was rubber there, it would be destroyed rather quickly by the piston of the slave cylinder.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:15 PM
03 Maxima, 6spd

I've heard quite the opposite. I heard that if it's the throw out bearing, you'll hear noise when the clutch pedal is pressed in.

Hopefully that's not the case, so I don't mean to scare you, but when it's louder with the clutch engaged (out) than it is with it disengaged (in) I think it usually means the input shaft bearing is going. It's inside the transmission, and would require a tranny rebuild (or better a replacement). A common symptom of that is transmission fluid leaking through the axle seals. That was the case with my 4th gen 5spd. It was quite common with the 4th gen 5spds.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:17 PM
03 Maxima, 6spd

The TOB will almost never make any noises when the clutch is engaged. When you clutch in, then you'll hear the TOB.
sorry, didn't realize you already said the same thing about the TOB.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by metalpiotr
I've heard quite the opposite. I heard that if it's the throw out bearing, you'll hear noise when the clutch pedal is pressed in.

Hopefully that's not the case, so I don't mean to scare you, but when it's louder with the clutch engaged (out) than it is with it disengaged (in) I think it usually means the input shaft bearing is going. It's inside the transmission, and would require a tranny rebuild (or better a replacement). A common symptom of that is transmission fluid leaking through the axle seals. That was the case with my 4th gen 5spd. It was quite common with the 4th gen 5spds.

my rattle is heard when the clutch is in at a neutral position, not engaged. if it's pressed in without engaging any gears, the sound disappears. as i ease up on the clutch pedal, a spinning sound is heard getting faster as the clutch is fully depressed.

as i go through the gears while driving, the sound is heard until i ease up on the gas pedal, or throw her in neutral. no leaks at all.

right now the spinning sound is almost gone, i havent changed anything in that area, what gives?

Last edited by 02nismaxlegnd94; 04-08-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:58 PM
No more Maximas...

my rattle is heard when the clutch is in at a neutral position, not engaged. if it's pressed in without engaging any gears, the sound disappears. as i ease up on the clutch pedal, a spinning sound is heard getting faster as the clutch is fully depressed.

as i go through the gears while driving, the sound is heard until i ease up on the gas pedal, or throw her in neutral. no leaks at all.

right now the spinning sound is almost gone, i havent changed anything in that area, what gives?
Okay, there's a lot of terms being thrown around that are directly contradicting eachother.

You just said that when the clutch is not engaged, and when it is in when in neutral. That means that you're pressing the clutch pedal down, disengaging the clutch, which is directly contradicting what you said earlier.

You then say that when you press it in the sound disappears.

And depressed does not mean you're lifting off of the pedal, it means you're pushing the pedal down. Think flammable vs inflammable (or similar), not **** vs decock.

It's most likely your ISB.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:17 PM

my bad, put it like this, engine started, clutch pedal on the floor, no sound.as i lift my foot off the clutch, stick in neutral position (no gears selected), a spinning sound is heard in slow revolutions. the more i let off the pedal the more faster the revolutions can be heard. pedal slowly pressed to the floor spinning slows to a stop. i hope this helps to clarify the symptoms.

it did this for months, as for the last 2 weeks it suddenly stopped making the sound. but while driving it's loud and clear throughout all the gears. it quiets down as i move to a higher gear , while switching in low rpm's.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:54 AM

either throwout bearing (done that twice) or your tranny main bearing(done this once and NEVER again)-hopefully not the latter.

good luck!
Old 04-09-2009, 07:29 AM
It's business time.

really a limited slip gearbox for 2K, i will definitely look into that option more.
You can get a 5 speed with a VLSD.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:18 PM
ahhh! cliMAX!

I'll try to get a video up of the sound so you guys can hear it
Old 04-12-2009, 10:34 PM

sorry to say it is the inputshaft bearing

if the noise happens when the pedal up ( engaged ) it is the throw out bearing also known as the release bearing.

if the noise happens with the pedal down ( dis-engaged ) it is the inputshaft bearings..... and with the noise you get it might be abit more than just beaings...

rebuild it

dont waste your time and money with release bearing.... ive had three of these trannys do this to me... every mechanic says its the release bearing.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:39 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by 022580
sorry to say it is the inputshaft bearing

if the noise happens when the pedal up ( engaged ) it is the throw out bearing also known as the release bearing.

if the noise happens with the pedal down ( dis-engaged ) it is the inputshaft bearings..... and with the noise you get it might be abit more than just beaings...

rebuild it

dont waste your time and money with release bearing.... ive had three of these trannys do this to me... every mechanic says its the release bearing.
No, you've got those backwards.

If you disengage the clutch, the input shaft is no longer turning, so it couldn't be the ISB making noise. The TOB does not rotate with the clutch engaged, so it can't make any noises then.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:40 AM

oooooooooops..... i wrote that quick. You are correct I typed it backwards.

my bad
Old 04-14-2009, 12:26 PM
ahhh! cliMAX!

here are the videos:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=DSCF3892.flv
and
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=DSCF3893.flv
Old 04-14-2009, 06:07 PM

No, you've got those backwards.

If you disengage the clutch, the input shaft is no longer turning, so it couldn't be the ISB making noise. The TOB does not rotate with the clutch engaged, so it can't make any noises then.
so it looks to be my input shaft bearing then. what would you guys recommend? rebuild or replace?
Old 04-14-2009, 06:09 PM
No more Maximas...

so it looks to be my input shaft bearing then. what would you guys recommend? rebuild or replace?
That's up to you. $60 for the bearings, some RTV, and a couple hours of your time, or $600+ for a new trans
Old 04-14-2009, 06:15 PM
The Whistle go WOOOOO

more than a couple hours Paul. haha.

If you want to pay somebody to repair it then just buy a damn trans. It's worth the peace of mind to know that you have a new one under there. If you are doing it yourself then buy the parts and fix it.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:25 PM

I think another 6mt tranny is in my future. if i was still in Brooklyn i would have attempted to do it myself, living in an apartment in Cali, no way possible. i tried to find Dave B, can you point me towards him, pmohr.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:28 PM
No more Maximas...

I think another 6mt tranny is in my future. if i was still in Brooklyn i would have attempted to do it myself, living in an apartment in Cali, no way possible. i tried to find Dave B, can you point me towards him, pmohr.
Searched

Originally Posted by pruizgarcia
Originally Posted by Zero Deuce SE
It would be hard to call "Dave B" without a phone number or something.
1-888-254-6060

Pedro
Originally Posted by maximadave
Dave Burnette

South Point Nissan

1-888-254-6060

Mention Maxima.org

Whats been going on with ya lately Bernie?
Originally Posted by Jess
I don't think he is doing the sale anymore since this thread is from last year, but he still does his regular discount.

Here is his phone number.

1-888-254-6060

Great guy he's hooked me up plenty of times
Originally Posted by Jess
They have pop tabs that snap into place. When taking out your old door sills just pry them up by hand. Or if it's stuck on use a butter knife "flat with round edge" covered with cloth to pry it up.

Here is DaveB's number. 1-888-254-6060
Originally Posted by Colonel
Contact Dave Burnett 1-888-254-6060. AKA Dave B

Your Nissan dealer is lazy too.
Originally Posted by kpr10is
The most common places are Dave Burnette at SouthPoint Nissan in Texas, 1-888-254-6060 and tell him you are from the org. Or courtesyparts.com. Dave will probably be a couple bucks cheaper, and much better service. He is in the stickies in the generation-specific maxima forums above, but he works parts at SouthPoint Nissan in Austin and hooks up forum members with very good deals.
Originally Posted by irish44j
Call DaveB, he'll know what parts you need and give you the best price.

1-888-254-6060, I think...else check the stickies. Ask for Dave Burnette (there are two Dave B.'s workign there).
Originally Posted by JacekPSUr6
Anyone who needs coils, just call ( 1-888-254-6060 ) and ask for Dave B!
They're pretty pricey, but I hope once I'll get them installed, they will last a lot longer than the ones from eBay. I'm sick of dealing with coil issues!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:32 PM

damn ask and you shall recieve, can you also help me find the phone number for 1-800-flowers?
Old 04-14-2009, 06:34 PM
The Whistle go WOOOOO

Old 04-14-2009, 06:35 PM
No more Maximas...

damn ask and you shall recieve, can you also help me find the phone number for 1-800-flowers?
1-800-356-9377

Old 04-14-2009, 06:42 PM

youre the man. the 1800 flowers bit , was from a prank phone call on the Howard Stern show.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:44 AM
ahhh! cliMAX!

anyone listen to the videos ?
Old 04-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well if it sounds like a constant whirring noise until you push the clutch in, its most likely your input bearings. Getting it diagnosed will confirm what it is though.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal In = noise at idle?