5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th gen wheel bearings and 19"g35c rays wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:03 AM

5th gen wheel bearings and 19"g35c rays wheels

Have any of you had any issues with these wheels and your wheels bearings. so far in the last 4 months ive had to replace about 3 wheel bearings which were covered under a pep boys warranty. is there a better more performance wheel bearing out there for our cars. im also dropped on tein h-techs and tokico illumina shocks if that helps. i really dont wanna get rid of my rays but if this keeps on going i might just have to.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Play with my balls

I don't think the wheels have much to do with your bearings being replaced so much. It might more so be the install of them.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
I don't think the wheels have much to do with your bearings being replaced so much. It might more so be the install of them.

^^ true and in my case with the wheels I have I do go through bearings quicker then normal do to the fact the dirt/dust caps don't fit so the bearing gets more moisture/dirt in it then average. are your caps on or off??
Old 04-30-2010, 09:57 AM

As deckedout2 stated, can't be the rims. Esepcially since they are lightweight which in reality would cause less stress on the bearings then more...

...my guess is that the installer (apologize in advance if you did this) is the problem OR the bearings Pep Boys is selling are crap.

Another thought, your hub assembly could be bad and no matter what bearings are put in there, they will be destroyed in no time. Happened to me on passenger side. Bearing casing broke, ***** and all thrashed the hub. Had to replace because a new bearing would not seat properly.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by nismopc
As deckedout2 stated, can't be the rims. Esepcially since they are lightweight which in reality would cause less stress on the bearings then more...

...my guess is that the installer (apologize in advance if you did this) is the problem OR the bearings Pep Boys is selling are crap.

Another thought, your hub assembly could be bad and no matter what bearings are put in there, they will be destroyed in no time. Happened to me on passenger side. Bearing casing broke, ***** and all thrashed the hub. Had to replace because a new bearing would not seat properly.
well i had that happen before where the hub and bearing and knuckle just got completely destroyed and i replaced it and changed the wheel bearing and after bout 1 month the bearing starts to crap out on me and i start the process of replacing bearings all over. so u guys think its just a bad bearings that pep boys sells that r crap.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by crazymax2k
well i had that happen before where the hub and bearing and knuckle just got completely destroyed and i replaced it and changed the wheel bearing and after bout 1 month the bearing starts to crap out on me and i start the process of replacing bearings all over. so u guys think its just a bad bearings that pep boys sells that r crap.
I believe a bearing itself especially a wheel bearing is no better then the next. It might just be when it is pressed in, it is damaged in the process, or not lined up correctly, or something. The root of the issue would lean more towards the install vs the bearings themselves. However, nothing is ruled out, just a speculation.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Who is installing them and what are the axle nuts being torqued down to? Improper axle nut torque will kill wheel bearings faster than anything else.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
Who is installing them and what are the axle nuts being torqued down to? Improper axle nut torque will kill wheel bearings faster than anything else.
well the local shop from my house is pressing them in i will ask them wat torque specs they are using in the mean while im goin to try to replace the hub its self does anyone know where i can get a good hub for a good price.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by crazymax2k
well the local shop from my house is pressing them in i will ask them wat torque specs they are using in the mean while im goin to try to replace the hub its self does anyone know where i can get a good hub for a good price.
www.car-parts.com for used
Dave B for new
Old 04-30-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
www.car-parts.com for used
Dave B for new
hey i dont know if you guys know this but i found one on rockauto.com for 49.79 brand new made by Dorman. Pepboys wanted 169.00. u guys think dave b can beat that.