5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Two words I never thought I'd say: Sprint Booster

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by 2slow
It's not an ideological box, its a technical/physical box constrained by the laws of nature/physics.

My enthusiasm for this topic stems for the reason I visit this forum: to help others by providing good information. The desire to provide good information encompasses the desire to also refute bad information. This isn't my first thread where I've told someone they're wrong.
2slow, you're like a breath of fresh air after an afternoon of redbull and fried okra. (Oh god, and I just ate, too.)

You know, it's not so much that I disagree with you, because I think at the core we're actually talking about different things. And I respect the quantitative approach when it's taken seriously, particularly in the manner you take it.

I'm very happy to respectfully allow that the Sprint Booster does nothing for throttle lag in any measurable way. (I also don't care, but I'll still allow for it if you want.) Can you respect that some people prioritize the qualitative factors over the quantitative ones?

For the umpteenth time, I like how the Sprint Booster changes the way I drive. I know this goes against the grain, but there really is no right or wrong here.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-21-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
I'm very happy to respectfully allow that the Sprint Booster does nothing for throttle lag in any measurable way. (I also don't care, but I'll still allow for it if you want.) Can you respect that some people prioritize the qualitative factors over the quantitative ones?
The important feature of the sprint booster is the change is pedal position sensor 'calibration'. This gives the feeling of quicker response (which is generally confused as lag) by providing more output (torque/power/acceleration) than the user expects for a given throttle application (I did notice this change).

I would bet money that people (the general population; the average 'guy') wouldn't be able to identify vehicles with a sprint booster if they had no previous experience with the vehicles. Since they have no prior experience (a baseline), they will not notice the change in (pedal-acceleration feedback) feel, and will just assume that's 'normal'.

Regarding peoples values, yes; one must respect others operate under different value systems (for better or worse), and will spend money accordingly. Although, I believe (honest, technically correct) attempts can be made persuade individual values since people learn and their values change (thought these are not always correlated).
Old 07-21-2010, 04:55 PM

Although, I believe (honest, technically correct) attempts can be made persuade individual values since people learn and their values change (thought these are not always correlated).
Me too, buddy. If a little bit of both our efforts rub off on the other... that's how people learn.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
..im trying to let this thread calm down since you think it works...

It will be calm in two weeks.
Try then.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Cletus

You want to be an adult? Delete every single post you made to this thread, and I'll do the same for all posts where I talk to, or about, you.

But you won't do that. I'd bet good money on it, and happily pay up.

done...pay up

i deleted every post from your thread...even the ones where I made valid points
Old 07-21-2010, 05:52 PM

:metalmax:
Old 07-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Cletus

I just got through doing the same, including the valid points.

You missed a couple. Delete them, and I'll delete these.

If there were a handshake smilie, I'd offer it.
yeah my internet is slow at work so i guess i missed a couple...ill go back and get them

Old 07-21-2010, 06:13 PM

This thead is confusing with the deleted posts
Old 07-21-2010, 06:15 PM

yeah my internet is slow at work so i guess i missed a couple...ill go back and get them

Hook the sprint booster up to it.........It might help! LOL!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by tookrzy4u192
This thead is confusing with the deleted posts
I apologize for that. SoonerFan and I have self-moderated this thread content. It's better than the alternative.

Moving on.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Hook the sprint booster up to it.........It might help! LOL!!!
if youre only getting 3 of 4 bars of connection it would be like being 100% connected
Old 07-21-2010, 06:33 PM

so Rochester, i guess after everything is said and done about how awesome the sprint booster is; you (or anyone else equipped with the S.B.) willing to take a trip to the track to see if there's any possible improvement in the 60' foot, 1/8 or 1/4?
Old 07-21-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
so Rochester, i guess after everything is said and done about how awesome the sprint booster is; you (or anyone else equipped with the S.B.) willing to take a trip to the track to see if there's any possible improvement in the 60' foot, 1/8 or 1/4?
+1 i hate going off but dyno and all the blah blahs... its very easy to prove things to people... show em results... im sure this thing is great but i would really like to see some very grounded facts and proof
Old 07-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Cletus

if it only improves throttle response, there shouldnt be an improvement in the 1/4 mile...IF it did anything, it would show in auto-x or road course...somewhere where you are on and off the throttle...but a good driver could get any gains this gives...taking a good line, late braking, early throttle, etc
Old 07-21-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
+1 i hate going off but dyno and all the blah blahs... its very easy to prove things to people... show em results... im sure this thing is great but i would really like to see some very grounded facts and proof

WELL SAID!.....although sometimes the but dyno is all one needs to tell them there is a change......look...the sprint booster just alters the signal.......it will NOT change the cars 0-60 or trap speed in the quarter mile......WHY...because you are mashing the pedal to the floor......in such case...the car is at maximum throttle with...or without the sprint booster......this is just a gimmick that increases the pedals sensitivity and tricks your senses into believing the car "seems" faster.....as I said before....unless this thing is covertly pushing boost into the engine.....there is NO increase in measurable power.....just an increase in ones perception of power.......

Last edited by 2 GO B4; 07-21-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
this is what we are all asking...do a google search and every result is someone's opinion

"its fun" and "it feels like the throttle response is quicker" isnt enough to convince most people

i never complained about the "poor throttle response" with my car...correct gear...push pedal...gone

Last edited by SoonerFan; 07-21-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:05 PM

Do you not all get what Rochester is saying here? I don't want to put words in his mouth, but my perception is, (and it was pretty easy to percieve), is that he Doesn't Care about the numbers. He enjoys the fun factor. He enjoys the everyday, on the street pleasure that he gets out of it with His Car. Enough Already.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by spock
Do you not all get what Rochester is saying here? I don't want to put words in his mouth, but my perception is, (and it was pretty easy to percieve), is that he Doesn't Care about the numbers. He enjoys the fun factor. He enjoys the everyday, on the street pleasure that he gets out of it with His Car. Enough Already.
completely understood (from the start)...but since there is no "proof" people are going to doubt it
Old 07-21-2010, 07:18 PM

No, sorry, Beater. Haven't run a dragstrip in decades. It's just not on the list of things to do with my Maxima. I mean, actually I do have a list, but it's parts and mods... not events.

Doubtful a short-throw shift kit would affect your track times either. Not in our cars, at least.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:21 PM

Still... I can buy that little fan that they put in the intake and say I enjoy the fun factor and sound it makes but was that thread worthy???... now I'm not sayin this thing is some simple toy or some kinda gotcha mod but all I'm saying is it seems like the people who puts their mods to the test doesn't get this but its always the person who doesn't care for numbers whether its auto-x, drag, road coarse etc... I just find it mind boggling that abosolutely none of the buys of mods like this have ever stepped up to prove if this thing is legit... if somebody is so confident send me urs ill run my car (put damage to my car) to prove this difference... ill send it back, this was never a mod I desire and most likely won't get cause I've never heard about it actually doing anything other that what ur **** feels... enjoy the mod chester I don't doubt you but its just hard to believe without solid proof... we need more difference makers in this forum
Old 07-21-2010, 07:22 PM

completely understood (from the start)...but since there is no "proof" people are going to doubt it
And since I never offered anyone anything other than saying, "Hey, this is fun!"... skeptics remain skeptical.

If you weren't half a country away, I'd let you plug it into your Xterra, because according to knight_yyz, the AT module for the 5.5 Maxima is the same as the one for your truck.

Kind of a funny coincidence, all things considered.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Cletus

Doubtful a short-throw shift kit would affect your track times either. Not in our cars, at least.
agreed (sorry)

a STS and this mod will do nothing in the 1/4...just in something that involves up and down shifting and getting on and off the throttle

though I FEEL, that a good driver doesnt need either...though i did have the STS...really just to fix the LONG throws and notchiness of our 6MT
Old 07-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Cletus

And since I never offered anyone anything other than saying, "Hey, this is fun!"... skeptics remain skeptical.

If you weren't half a country away, I'd let you plug it into your Xterra, because according to knight_yyz, the AT module for the 5.5 Maxima is the same as the one for your truck.

Kind of a funny coincidence, all things considered.
this wouldnt help the throttle response of my heavy X...heavier with the mods I have thank god i didnt buy it was its quickness
Old 07-21-2010, 07:36 PM

This issue is getting a bit out of hand...

The benefit of the sprint booster is a change in accelerator pedal response ('feel'); where the booster 'amplifies' the pedal position sensor's output to provide a greater throttle opening (and output) at a given pedal position. While this product certainly changes 'feel', there are no measurable performance increases. I don't understand why some are continuing to ask for performance numbers.

Rochester enjoys the new feel and is happy; good for him.

EDIT: I take one phone call and find another 7 posts; fast moving thread is fast.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:41 PM

Amen to that, 2slow. Thank you.

Lots of interesting things happened here on this thread today, more than most will ever know. But I think it's running out of steam now, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Good night, Org.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:29 PM

Yeah, +1 to "this thread is really confusing with half the posts deleted."

So, um, the moral of the story is: Take off stupid mods like this when you sell your car, or at least tell the person what you have on there. When I changed the spark plugs on my new-to-me Max, I found that awful Tornado pre-air-swirler thing in the last part of the intake's plastic pieces. Yeah. Interestingly enough, my gas mileage did go down a bit after I took it out and polished the intake pieces... 'Cause I was doing some hard driving to feel the VQ's more mighty roar, now that it was freed from grime and massive gaps on the spark plugs (they were the stock NGKs that came with the car 8 years and 120K miles ago. Oops!).

Rochester, I thought you were a mod(erator) here? Your behavior was rather unfitting at times. Yeah, that makes me feel like a jerk for saying that (I don't know you. =/), but it needed to be said. On a completely different note, I am confused about one thing: Why are you installing all those performance mods if you aren't interested in Auto-cross or some other form of racing..? How did you convince your wife (I think I've seen you mention having a wife and kids) to let you spend money on this stuff?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Toolie

I don't know where everyone is getting all these ideas that their Maxima will be faster with the sprint booster. It doesn't add horsepower, it doesn't add torque. It remaps the throttle to eliminate lag. It won't improve your 1/4 mile time.
If you are too far away from a shop, order one with your credit card and send it back if you don't like it. I know my dealer was willing to do this when the sprint booster first came out. Maybe you guys can swing the same deal.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Toolie

Originally Posted by crystalline
I still want someone to go and test this out WHO DOESN'T THINK IT WILL WORK LIKE ME AND THUS COULD BE SURPRISED IF IT DID.
Rochester already did this. And he made this thread and no one believes him.

You can read about this on the g35 forum, the BMW forum, the porsche forum, mercedes forum. And it's the same thing. People tried it and liked it, and everyone who hasn;t tried it thinks those who have are full of it.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
Rochester already did this. And he made this thread and no one believes him.

You can read about this on the g35 forum, the BMW forum, the porsche forum, mercedes forum. And it's the same thing. People tried it and liked it, and everyone who hasn;t tried it thinks those who have are full of it.
The point was that IF SOMEONE ELSE DID IT TOO IT MIGHT BE MORE BELIEVABLE. THEN IF A 3RD PERSON DID IT AND WAS LIKE OMG AMAZING THEN IT WOULD BE EVEN MORE BELIEVABLE! WOW HARD CONCEPT IS HARD.

Thanks for saying I missed the entire point of the thread though since I obviously missed that Rochester didn't believe in/like the sprint booster at before installation. I didn't post that sentence 3x in other posts or anything.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:09 PM

whats the reason to lie about the fun factor of his car with the booster on it?
Old 07-21-2010, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
It doesn't add horsepower, it doesn't add torque. It remaps the throttle to eliminate lag.
still doesnt eliminate lag, in this particular definition of lag. at least as most motor enthusiasts would define it
Old 07-21-2010, 11:36 PM

lol..give it a rest already, someone likes it others hate it...move the *** on..morons
Old 07-22-2010, 05:20 AM
Toolie

Originally Posted by crystalline
The point was that IF SOMEONE ELSE DID IT TOO IT MIGHT BE MORE BELIEVABLE. THEN IF A 3RD PERSON DID IT AND WAS LIKE OMG AMAZING THEN IT WOULD BE EVEN MORE BELIEVABLE! WOW HARD CONCEPT IS HARD.

Thanks for saying I missed the entire point of the thread though since I obviously missed that Rochester didn't believe in/like the sprint booster at before installation. I didn't post that sentence 3x in other posts or anything.

google sprint booster, and you will find that the bmw guys love it, the Porsche guys love it, the g35 guys love it and the mercedes guys love it. And ya, in every forum there are the naysayers who haven't tried it. Everyone in here has their head stuck in the sand and can't think outside the box. Looks like you will have to be "number three" to try it then you can start a thread about how much you liked it. Then you can get flamed. Sad but true. If the naysayers had actually tired the darn thing I wouldn't even be posting in here. But all the negative posts are coming from people who refuse to believe that the sprint booster actually does what it claims. Not trying to be a jerk, just saying...
Old 07-22-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Eirik
Rochester, I thought you were a mod(erator) here? Your behavior was rather unfitting at times. Yeah, that makes me feel like a jerk for saying that (I don't know you. =/), but it needed to be said.
I'm not a Moderator. I'm also not a Saint, so please forgive me when I don't measure up. Like everyone else, I've said things I regret on the Org. When regret happens, I accept the responsibility and almost always apologize in hopes that I'm better for the experience. That's life, champ.

"Needed to be said"? OK, Newbie. Public Service noted. Welcome to the Org.

Originally Posted by Eirik
On a completely different note, I am confused about one thing: Why are you installing all those performance mods if you aren't interested in Auto-cross or some other form of racing..? How did you convince your wife (I think I've seen you mention having a wife and kids) to let you spend money on this stuff?
Seriously? Why would anyone install performance mods on a mid-level, family sedan? Particular one with FWD? We must have rocks in our heads!

As to my family and my budget... that was a ballsy question, and none of your business.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:26 AM
dot dot dot ...

This issue is getting a bit out of hand...

The benefit of the sprint booster is a change in accelerator pedal response ('feel'); where the booster 'amplifies' the pedal position sensor's output to provide a greater throttle opening (and output) at a given pedal position. While this product certainly changes 'feel', there are no measurable performance increases. I don't understand why some are continuing to ask for performance numbers.

Rochester enjoys the new feel and is happy; good for him.

EDIT: I take one phone call and find another 7 posts; fast moving thread is fast.
^^ Cripes, I think you've stated the technical details of this thing from the get go, from personal experience. I give you credit for that and also understand how it works very well, and you verified more than once my theory of it.

The throttle position (plate angle) reaches the maximum (wide open) faster .. so there is a dead zone (i.e. maximum throttle reached) vs OEM, as noted in a graphic you posted some time ago.

Which is logical because the throttle can only open so much before it starts closing again.

Say 0º = WOT, then anything @ +/-1º will mean less throttle opening, hence the dead zone of ms.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:30 AM

I love it when manny and 2slow pull out the slide rulers. I get this buzzing noise in my head, and the words get all blurry.

Have at it, guys. This thread is making me tired.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:40 AM
dot dot dot ...

For the other car in the garage .... I actually think it be worthwhile ... because of it's not so pleasant throttle behavior.

And from the technical explanation/theory, I think that is exactly what this car needs.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
For the other car in the garage .... I actually think it be worthwhile ... because of it's not so pleasant throttle behavior.

And from the technical explanation/theory, I think that is exactly what this car needs.
Sorry to thread-jack, Rochester, but...

NMex, What's wrong with the GC's throttle? Is it as sloppy and miserable as the new Sonata's?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:52 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
Sorry to thread-jack, Rochester, but...

NMex, What's wrong with the GC's throttle? Is it as sloppy and miserable as the new Sonata's?
Never driven the one with 6 holes, but the 4cyl, yeah it's sloppy, and it's not because of turbo lag either, it's just sloppy. Had a sonata as rental and samew thing, not the new TC'd Sonata's, but the previous gen.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:35 AM

Seriously? Why would anyone install performance mods on a mid-level, family sedan? Particular one with FWD? We must have rocks in our heads!
You're being a bit, um, melodramatic. I'm interesting in installing some performance things on mine because I hope to turn it into a bi-monthly weekend racer some day way off in the future. I understand installing performance mods to improve performance in a race setting, but don't really understand your philosophy and was hoping to gain more insight into the minds of those on the other side, so to speak. I guess you stated earlier that you are interested in making your car more fun to drive, so you just install mods that add fun, regardless of their nature? It would just seem, to me, that a lot of the performance mods would decrease fun in the daily driving routine, as they typically add NVH.

As to my family and my budget... that was a ballsy question, and none of your business.
Again, you took that the wrong way. I'm getting married in a few months and I know my wife-to-be would need convincing before I had "permission" to buy any performance bits (that weren't an upgrade because the stock piece is failing and needs to be replaced). I'm drawing from a large number of marriages to help me be more prepared for my own, right? I'm interested in how guys justify the expenses pertaining to their hobbies--that's all.

Quick Reply: Two words I never thought I'd say: Sprint Booster