5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Doors lock automatically

Old 10-27-2002, 01:39 AM

Doors lock automatically

So I had plenty of time on my hands, about an hour and 45 minutes to wait for a friend to show up late, and I noticed that if you do not activate your alarm and the car is off, the alarm will activate itself after sitting for 5 minutes. I think that this is an AWESOME tool as sometimes I am fearful that I forgot to lock my car, and this will soothe my worries knowing that they would only have 5 minutes anyways!
Old 10-27-2002, 09:04 AM

Re: Doors lock automatically

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
So I had plenty of time on my hands, about an hour and 45 minutes to wait for a friend to show up late, and I noticed that if you do not activate your alarm and the car is off, the alarm will activate itself after sitting for 5 minutes. I think that this is an AWESOME tool as sometimes I am fearful that I forgot to lock my car, and this will soothe my worries knowing that they would only have 5 minutes anyways!
I don't think this works on my 2k2 Maxima. I once left my car keys in the car (it was off, all doors were closed) and it was in the driveway. I went back about 30 minutes later to get it and the door was still unlocked.

My other car locks the doors with the alarms in around 30 seconds or so, that's a 94 corolla.
Old 10-27-2002, 10:10 AM

I think it may have some other variables but i dunno. I leave my car inside my garage unlocked, and when I come out to it it is still unlocked. However, I definately noticed it locking itself and engaging the alarm after 5 minutes of sitting in the car.
Old 10-27-2002, 11:24 AM

when my car is in my garage and i keep it unlocked, it stays unlocked too.
Old 10-27-2002, 12:34 PM

locks

I was thinking the same thing as PHATMAN5050. I believe the car will re-arm itself if you manually lock all the doors before closing the car.
Old 10-27-2002, 12:46 PM

Our Maxima was designed to act like that.
As long as the key is not in the ignition, the car will auto lock in 5 minutes, that is the default setting.
Old 10-27-2002, 01:45 PM

Auto Lock?

My 95 max and 2000 I30 do not lock themselves. I leave it in the garage overnight daily and it is still unlocked in the am.

I do remember reading that if you unlock the car with the key fob, but do not open the door, then the car will relock and arm the alarm automatically in a few minutes.
Old 10-27-2002, 04:12 PM

I got an aftermarket alarm installed by nissan, and thats pretty much the only thing that activates after about 30 sec. the doors do not lock however....

Later...
Old 10-27-2002, 04:34 PM

Re: Re: Doors lock automatically

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
I don't think this works on my 2k2 Maxima. I once left my car keys in the car (it was off, all doors were closed) and it was in the driveway. I went back about 30 minutes later to get it and the door was still unlocked.

My other car locks the doors with the alarms in around 30 seconds or so, that's a 94 corolla.
i think it works on 2k2, too! if u press unlock again when u close the door, the doors would lock automaticly after 5-10mins
Old 10-27-2002, 08:26 PM

Re: Auto Lock?

Originally posted by sascuderi
I do remember reading that if you unlock the car with the key fob, but do not open the door, then the car will relock and arm the alarm automatically in a few minutes.
Yes, this is correct, it must be this way. I started thinking that maybe if u dont use the homelink system or something then it wouldnt lock it, because it locked it when i was in the car because I locked the door, and then unlocked it, but didn't open any doors, so it automatically locked them again. My brain came up with all sort of weird things that would tell the car whether or not to lock the doors automatically. My most brilliant was that the little chip in the key would tell it whether to lock it or not, if it sensed the chip in the car, then it woudln't lock, but if it didn't sense it, then it would lock. It's as simple as whether or not you open the door.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

bring out the dead thread!

hey guys - quick question and its a big concern!

the car auto locks, that's great and everything. however, what if i want to leave my car running to warm it up (ie: like today when its snowing out, and i need to scrape off the car) and close the door. the car locks itself ... w/ the keys still in the ignition!

anyone know of a way to disable this? or is there a way that i manually unlock the front door and it wont relock it after i close it?

thanks guys -
jer
Old 11-27-2002, 07:59 AM
Banned

Originally posted by jerdubois
bring out the dead thread!

hey guys - quick question and its a big concern!

the car auto locks, that's great and everything. however, what if i want to leave my car running to warm it up (ie: like today when its snowing out, and i need to scrape off the car) and close the door. the car locks itself ... w/ the keys still in the ignition!

anyone know of a way to disable this? or is there a way that i manually unlock the front door and it wont relock it after i close it?

thanks guys -
jer
That's weird that it locks itself when it's running. I was warming it up yesterday before taking it for a spin, and must have had it running for around 5 minutes with all doors closed, and it never closed itself. Are you sure it locks itself when it's running?
Old 11-27-2002, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by vito1281

That's weird that it locks itself when it's running. I was warming it up yesterday before taking it for a spin, and must have had it running for around 5 minutes with all doors closed, and it never closed itself. Are you sure it locks itself when it's running?
lets put it this way, if my fiancee wasnt there next to me i would have probably thought "wierd, maybe i did something" ... but the doors were definitely locked while the car was running.

ill check the manual to see if there is anything that can be done. if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:22 AM
Banned

lets put it this way, if my fiancee wasnt there next to me i would have probably thought "wierd, maybe i did something" ... but the doors were definitely locked while the car was running.

ill check the manual to see if there is anything that can be done. if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
Let us know what you find. I'd like to know in case she starts doing that to me, and leaves me stranded god knows where.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:11 AM

The doors only lock automatically on a 2k2 if you unlock it and don't open any doors. IE: You unluck your doors when you walk to your car from the resturaunt, then get talking to your friend for 30 minutes the doors will relock. I think they relock after 5 minutes.

If your keys are in the ignition you can not lock the doors unless you use the remote. They do not autolock either.

Stereodude
Old 11-27-2002, 09:21 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Stereodude
If your keys are in the ignition you can not lock the doors unless you use the remote. They do not autolock either.

Stereodude
That's what I'm thinking, but jerdubois is saying he had the car running, and it locked itself. That's weird!
Old 11-27-2002, 09:26 AM

stereodude, id love to agree, but i cannot - ill replay the scenario ...

i unlocked the car using the remote after cleaning off the door jam to keep snow from falling in. i jumped in the car, i started it, turned on all the heating (except for front defrost, cuz i wanted to let the engine warm up first).

i then jump out of the car, close the door and keep cleaning the vehicle while it was running. i then go to open my door to unlock my fiancee's side since the keys are in the ignition. the door, all doors, are locked. 1/2 a moment of panic until my fiancee remembers she has the keys and unlocks them.

this is a 2003 with TE, loaded except navi.

regards (and thanks for the post!)
Old 11-27-2002, 09:31 AM
Banned

i unlocked the car using the remote after cleaning off the door jam to keep snow from falling in. i jumped in the car, i started it, turned on all the heating (except for front defrost, cuz i wanted to let the engine warm up first).

i then jump out of the car, close the door and keep cleaning the vehicle while it was running. i then go to open my door to unlock my fiancee's side since the keys are in the ignition. the door, all doors, are locked. 1/2 a moment of panic until my fiancee remembers she has the keys and unlocks them.

Hey,
I would test this again tonight when you get home. If you get the same problem, I would take it to the dealership and have them check out. I'm pretty sure that's NOT the way it's supposed to work--it wouldn't make sense for it to be like that. Have the dealership reset/fix the chip that controls this.

Regards.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:46 AM

What I've noticed is if any door outside of the drivers door is unlocked the car will automatically lock all doors after 5 minutes(est). If the drivers door is unlocked only it will stay unlocked but the alarm will arm itself. Jerdubious, for a little extra security I bought the "Unbreakable auto-lock" for about $50.00 from Autozone. In the morning time I let my car warm up for about 5-7 minutes, I leave the key in the car but I take the remote back inside with me. I lock the doors with the remote which enables the alarm. If somebody managed to get around the alarm within the 5 minutes I'm in the house, thats where the "Unbreakable auto-lock" comes in at, it prevents someone from pushing on the break pedal to release the car out of park and back up the car. I sugggest it for a little extra peace of mind.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:50 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ICULookN
What I've noticed is if any door outside of the drivers door is unlocked the car will automatically lock all doors after 5 minutes(est). If the drivers door is unlocked only it will stay unlocked but the alarm will arm itself. Jerdubious, for a little extra security I bought the "Unbreakable auto-lock" for about $50.00 from Autozone. In the morning time I let my car warm up for about 5-7 minutes, I leave the key in the car but I take the remote back inside with me. I lock the doors with the remote which enables the alarm. If somebody managed to get around the alarm within the 5 minutes I'm in the house, thats where the "Unbreakable auto-lock" comes in at, it prevents someone from pushing on the break pedal to release the car out of park and back up the car. I sugggest it for a little extra peace of mind.
Throw The Club on for the 5mins. That would def prevent anyone from being able to steal it in the 5 min timeframe.

But, the main point in this thread is that his car is locking by itself when it's RUNNING. Mine doesn't do that, so I don't think that's the proper operation.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:16 AM

I do this nearly every morning and haven't had a problem yet. Don't know what to tell you.

Stereodude
Old 11-27-2002, 10:35 AM

I do this nearly every morning and haven't had a problem yet. Don't know what to tell you.
so i went out and tried it again (working from home today).
and then realized a critical step (and one that must have made a difference).

paranoid of locking my keys in the car (since we already own a pathfinder that we have done this to, because of normal operations) i have a habit of keeping the driver side door open slightly.

in the manual it states that "the doors will lock automatically within 5 minutes unless all of the following steps occur: and a door is openened and a key is entered in the ignition". makes sense, you unlock the door, you close the door, you start the car and go ... hence the doors wont lock while you are driving.

but what if you DONT CLOSE the DOOR when you start the car? the door stays open. the manual even states that the doors will lock automatically in 5 minutes even if a door is open.

im guessing this is the right combination of moves. i will test out the combinations when i have more time. for now, im simply going to keep my valet key in the apt
Old 11-27-2002, 02:41 PM
Horra!!

That's pretty weird... I have a 2k3 TE and This morning I left the car running, stepped out and closed the door to have a cigarette and when I was finished (5-6 min) the door was still unlocked. Also when I park in the garage I leave the keys in the car and nothing ever locks on me...

Old 12-02-2002, 03:13 PM

i have proof! dealer's wife did it this morning!

Originally posted by looslip
That's pretty weird... I have a 2k3 TE and This morning I left the car running, stepped out and closed the door to have a cigarette and when I was finished (5-6 min) the door was still unlocked. Also when I park in the garage I leave the keys in the car and nothing ever locks on me...
so i go down to the dealership to get my '00 pathfinder serviced (30K miles, big $$). and im outside walking around looking at a couple of Zs. and guess what? in drives the manager's wife, in the EXACT same '03 TE max that i have (down to the options, minus 6 spd). car is running, closes the door to run inside and swap some paperwork. she comes back out about 5-10 mins later ... doors are LOCKED! the car is running in the lot! i turn to her, as she looks over and i said "you wont believe this, but the EXACT same thing happened to me last week in the EXACT same car". she had to go in and get the valet key for the car to open it.

i talked to the service guys "wierd, that shouldnt happen ... i didnt even know those doors locked automatically at all?!?!" (as informative as usual).

i will write to nissan and let you know whats going on with it.

thanks for the input -
jerome
Old 12-02-2002, 05:43 PM
NYMax

BAD BAD OPTION!

automatic locking doors are the devil!!! if you have automatic locking doors make sure to let u're valet know I valet and i think this is the worst option in the world. I've had many idiot people along w/ valets lock the keys in their car. Some people get out of the car leave the keys on the seat and close the door, failing to realize that the doors will lock on them in no time at all... blocking up all the traffic!@#$!@#$% BAD! hehe k... so if you don't want to go through this, u're better off w/o the lockin option i would destroy my alarm if it ever came w/ that. lol, but that's just me, it's caused too many headaches for me (and probably every valet)

Old 12-02-2002, 08:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

auto locking doors

yeah i noticed this the other night when i was standing out by my car talking to a friend of mine.....im not sure when it does it tho because when i leave it in the garage unlocked, it stays unlocked...but when i was out there it locked automatically...it was wierd i didnt know what was going on, i thought somethin was going wrong with my remote or somethin....but anywayz...i was just gonna say i noticed this feature too. anyone know what exactly makes it do this???
Old 09-10-2010, 02:42 AM

is there any way to disable the automatic locks that occur when you start the car, start driving and the car locks the doors/reopens them when you shut it off? downloaded the manual and didn't see anything.