5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in this?
Yes. I would love to embellish the inside of my Maxima
92.86%
No. I don't care what the inside of my Maxima looks like.
7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Redline Goods door inserts interest thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:09 PM
You embarrass me.

Ehh, not a fan personally. I usually love everything RedLine Goods makes, but that is not appealing to me.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
Ehh, not a fan personally. I usually love everything RedLine Goods makes, but that is not appealing to me.
I'm afraid I agree with this, Roy. It's bunched up inconsistently around the edges and throughout the middle, the color doesn't work with the rest of the door (even it it does work with the racing seats you're now selling), and the diagonal stitching seems out of place.

It pains me to say so, because of all the work you put into this, but it doesn't look good, IMO.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:36 AM

I'm sorry that you didn't have the same panel as mine since it would have made things MUCH easier. It must have been the difference between leather and cloth as I actually have an '02 also (don't know why I put '03 in my profile).

That being said, any time something is wrapped, tension is pretty key to getting a good finish. In your case, I would have cut some 1/4" plywood the size of the insert, put the plastic lining over that, and then pulled the material tight over the plastic lining you used (the wood would have kept it from bowing). It is a bit late now, but hopefully it can help you or somebody else in the future.

I do appreciate you being the guinea pig for this. I don't like the pleats in the leather door inserts and thought about changing them up next time I had the panels off.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:50 AM

Hmmm Black Louis sounds expensive and hawt
Old 12-22-2010, 06:46 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

I agree with everyone that thinks it looks like total $hit. What a great way to end the final project for SinCity Max.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
I agree. I don't like the way the pattern looks. But another way of doing it? There is no way to remove the insert from the panel.

Redline Goods will do these. That is the whole purpose of this thread. As far as a better way of putting them on, I would love to get your take on it.
Dude, don't let anyone get your hopes down. It doesn't look like ****, you can make it look good if you do the install cleaner. The material color and pattern isnt my favorite, but you can make it work.

When you peel your old leather inserts out, clean all of the left over glue/crap so when you lay the new piece on it, the bumps won't show through. Then, before cutting the material to size, oversize it over the pattern a little so you can just trim the edges to fit perfect when you lay it down. When using the spray glue on a piece like that, work your way from the center and fan out to the edges, pressing firmly ironing out any bubbles/wrinkles. When you finally get to the edges, use the handle edge of a thin spoon to realy get the material into the crease and make sure you use extra glue around the edges so when you trim, it doesn't peel off over time. And to trim is probably the hardest.. take a razor blade and work very very slowly, just be patient. After you trim the edges, it'll probably help even more if you take the handle edge of the spoon and press the trimmed edges a final time to make sure it realy adheres.

Ask me how I know all this.. I have a FULL black interior from the headliner down

A glue that I used for my headliner, that is ridiculously strong and permanent, is contact cement in gel form made for gluing linoleum counter tops LOL Where a respirator though, im pretty sure i accidently got high off it.

Last edited by s1mply_v; 12-22-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:03 PM

Oh.. and I'm no professional upholster, but my stuff came out like I paid good money to have it done. Im also not responsible for anything that happens for those who follow the instructions I kind of laid out, just a way/my way of tackling a project like that.

I still want black Alcantara with red daimond stitching.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
I agree with everyone that thinks it looks like total $hit. What a great way to end the final project for SinCity Max.
I think the timing is appropriate for an ill fated mod from you. Your heart/intentions are elsewhere except for stripping your pride and joy of all its finer mods and achievements. Im not surprised that your last minute after-the-fact mod came out poorly. Im guessing your heart, soul and regular attention to detail were not in the project. Upholstery isnt a common sensical or easy process anyway.