5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Timing Advance Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 07:46 PM

Timing Advance Issue

today i went to the dealer to get my timing advanced to 17 degrees but he said he couldnt do it. when he read my timing h said it was at -1 and he could only adjust it +/- 5. What does that mean when it was reading -1?
Old 11-29-2010, 07:58 PM

wow don't think I have ever heard of a -1 ... stock setup is 15 which why the normal advance is but 2 degrees to give you a 17 degree ... so if you were at 13 one could only advance to 15 degrees.

Now I have heard of some car being only at 10 but yours would be a first if it is truly retarded back that far
Old 11-30-2010, 04:52 AM

Sounds like another dealer not knowing wtf they're talking about

I've been playing around with the Solus we have over here, when I'm experimenting with base ignition timing, it shows me where my timing is or was, as well as the degrees advance it is while at idle.

I haven't tried pegging out the adjustments, I've only tried removing one, then two degrees advance, to try and cut down on that damn pinging. 13 degress advance is working pretty good for me so far, but I'd also been thinking about advancing it to 17 to see if maybe I can pass up that 15 deg "sweet spot" that makes all that racket at 2k rpms.....

When I plugged back into mine a week after only pulling a degree, it showed me where I had left it, at -1 degree, so the computer shows where it's at, but if the dealer could adjust +/-5 degrees, you were at 14, and wanted 17, what was the problem?
Old 11-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I could see from a liability stand point that if a technician saw the ecu already retarding the timing to 14 degrees, that he would not be willing to advance.

To the OP, what fuel grade where you running when you took the car in? Personally, if I ran lower octane in my car, then I wouldn't attempt to advance my timing...mine is advanced and I ONLY run 93+.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
I could see from a liability stand point that if a technician saw the ecu already retarding the timing to 14 degrees, that he would not be willing to advance.

To the OP, what fuel grade where you running when you took the car in? Personally, if I ran lower octane in my car, then I wouldn't attempt to advance my timing...mine is advanced and I ONLY run 93+.
i only run 93 at a minimum. and i only use Mobil or Shell gas. That's It!!!
Idk what the problem was but im gonna go back in a few weeks to check it out again and see if it adjusted itself back to its prior setting, accept im gonna see a different tech
Old 12-01-2010, 04:20 AM

usually in automatic A33 w. 3.5 will have overall timing set @ "-1*" from factory.
Usually in manual A33 w/ 3.5 will have overall timing set @ "0*" from factory.
Advancing timing has its limits, of "+/- 2*", but can go as far as "-/+ 5*" anything above 2* threshold is only for testing purposes using Consult II., on the first sign of pinging, the ecu will take 1* away until it happens again in another drive cycle, eventually going back to factory default settings to preserve the engine. Even when the vehicle runs hot, such as over 207* via coolant sensors will bring timing down if it occurs over a few consecutive driving cycles.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:13 AM

When I went into advance my timing mine was at 14* and I jumped to 17*

It was mentioned only if you run 93 octane - I always run high tes and didnt see the bump in timing to give me any problems - The tech had no problem doing it and actually was informational regarding using higher tes gas - which was good to know coming from a young guy in the tech department -

The only problem I have is it will throw an SES light occasionally reading something along the lines of "AA" - piston is being raised higher than normal I believe - dont quote me because it was something along the lines of this or more air concerning the raise of the piston - I just clear it when the SES reads this and have only done that twice in a year since having the advance done

I'm assuming the SES indicator is just letting me know there is a change (advance of the timing ) regarding what is normal/stock requirements for proficient driving - thats why im assuming its throwing the code ( twice in a year isnt that bad I dont believe)

Anyone else run into the thrown SES light regarding this?

Last edited by Tippy Toes; 12-01-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Toolie

Nissan spec for our car is 15* +/- 5*. But if there was a problem with your ecu he should have been able to reset it with the consult and then performed the advance.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Get Off My Lawn

^^^^------ +1
No SES issue in what you describe, Tippy.

When the tech advanced my timing, he said it was sitting at 15*....I have an auto.

Either way, I think to the OP it just boils down to talking with another tech. Typically, I try to track down the shop foreman first. He presented pleased to help me out and refused to take any money for the job, telling me to come back to him anytime I need something.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:00 PM

timing advance has nothing to do with triggering a SES lamp. you have a problem when your SES lamp comes on, check it and stop just clearing it.
Advancing Timing has nothing to do with piston raising higher unless the connecting rod its attached to is shooting through the side of the block and the piston is making love to the valves in the head.
Simply put, the spark event is occuring earlier so the combustion event will create more pressure to push piston down, and maybe have a cleaner burn.
15* is what is at idle, at cruise ranges from 28-39*, at WOT, looking at 19-22*
Advancing timing just adds or subtracts that specific amount that the Consult II has just changed your ecm to do. ie. instead of 20* @ WOT, you will see 22* w/ +2* setting.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:57 PM

How much does a timing advance cost? And is it true it adds back some low end power
Old 12-08-2010, 04:32 AM

depends on dealer. i started doing the timing advance for members in nyc area when I work for nissan, you can ask your local dealer if they can perform it.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:33 AM

to nismo star:

The only problem I have is it will throw an SES light occasionally reading something along the lines of "AA" - piston is being raised higher than normal I believe - dont quote me because it was something along the lines of this or more air concerning the raise of the piston - I just clear it when the SES reads this and have only done that twice in a year since having the advance done

You must of missed what I wrote bud - go back and re read

I "do" check what the code is throwing AND it was pertaining to what I had done with my timing - im 99% sure of it - why else would it be reading something regarding more air flow or "AA" as I had mentioned in the first reply - The detailed print out portrayed along the lines of saying this -

I'll just have to get it online for people who dont read and get the correct detailed print out autozone gave of the SES - Again im just trying to help the OP with things I've experienced after bumping the timing from 14* to 17* on an 03 6 spd - You can bash me all you want but again my light Rarely goes on and if it does it says exactly what I've written and displayed here in the last 2 posts
Old 12-08-2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Fxrevolution
How much does a timing advance cost? And is it true it adds back some low end power
Nice to see you're from palm beach fl

I got my done at Napleton Nissan off of Blue Heron but the guy transferred over to the west coast of florida - I just slipped him $20 that took him like a maximum of 10 minutes to do - There are a couple guys that you could talk to that could help you out there

I feel it most in third gear I can be around 3k - punch it - and then it does like a double take with the power - like it jumps to say 3600 and then it jumps again after and it just pulls - It's not anything crazy but there is minimal experience in power
Old 12-14-2010, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tippy Toes
to nismo star:

You must of missed what I wrote bud - go back and re read

I "do" check what the code is throwing AND it was pertaining to what I had done with my timing - im 99% sure of it - why else would it be reading something regarding more air flow or "AA" as I had mentioned in the first reply - The detailed print out portrayed along the lines of saying this -

I'll just have to get it online for people who dont read and get the correct detailed print out autozone gave of the SES - Again im just trying to help the OP with things I've experienced after bumping the timing from 14* to 17* on an 03 6 spd - You can bash me all you want but again my light Rarely goes on and if it does it says exactly what I've written and displayed here in the last 2 posts
LoL do you know what you wrote ? what is "AA" ? Now you can re-read my post, all I stated was a piston will never raise higher in a VQ engine, unless its blowing up big time.
Now how about you tell us what code that you are getting a print out from AutoZone...it is P0100 or perhaps P0171 ?
Your post makes no sense at all. Please clarify your point, cause you haven't helped the OP or anyone for that matter with the jiberish you just posted.