5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A rock met my windshield

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 06:40 AM

A rock met my windshield

My morning has not gotten off to a good start. I was just thinking to myself last night that my 2K2 SE is still perfect after 1500 miles. That's no longer the case.

Getting on to 270 there was a truck about 100 yards in front of me leaking rocks; not particularly small rocks. One of them just happened to slam into my windshield. It left a mark about the size of a nickle. Do I need to replace the windshield or can they just fix the one I have?

That really bummed me out.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:44 AM

Re: A rock met my windshield

Originally posted by maxSmart
My morning has not gotten off to a good start. I was just thinking to myself last night that my 2K2 SE is still perfect after 1500 miles. That's no longer the case.

Getting on to 270 there was a truck about 100 yards in front of me leaking rocks; not particularly small rocks. One of them just happened to slam into my windshield. It left a mark about the size of a nickle. Do I need to replace the windshield or can they just fix the one I have?

You could get the whole windsheild replaced, but i would not reccomend it. They are never the same, it would not seal the same and it would probably have bad wind noise afterwards. My suggestion is getting it fixed. They have something now where they put 2 suction cups on the inside and outside and pump silicon into the crack. You can barely notice the mark afterwards. It costs 100 bucks i think. Look in the phone book, you are sure to find one. Sorry about the car
Old 12-19-2001, 06:54 AM

The same thing happened to me right after I purchased my 2001 GLE - I only had about 800 miles on it and a rock slammed my windshield. If you replace the windshield through insurance, you will only be responsible for your comprehensive deductible. Just for reference - carrying a low comprehensive deductible on your policy usually does not cost all that much (collision is much more expensive). If you have it repaired, most insurance companies will waive the deductible and it will not cost anything (at least that was the case with my insurance company - State Farm). I just had mine repaired as I was concerned about having the windshield replaced on my brand new car! I would contact your insurance agent and review your options with him/her.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:54 AM

Re: A rock met my windshield

Originally posted by maxSmart

On the trip home after purchasing my AE in February I got dinged by a rock that I could actually see arcing through the air towards me. It came from a semi-trailer heading in the opposite direction. I had a similar sized mark just above my windshield wiper. I paid $30 to have it fixed. It is still visible, but it won't spread into a crack at least. Now I have 2 more on my windshield and I'll have to go for another fix. I share your pain.
Old 12-19-2001, 07:01 AM

Sorry to hear about your windshield However, think of it this way, it could have hit the hood instead And at least windshields are easier to fix than hoods.
Old 12-19-2001, 07:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback back guys. I'm gonna make some phone calls and see if I can get it fixed.

I didn't see the rock as it was comming, but I certainly heard it when it hit. Fortunately it struck only the windshield. I was worried that I may have hit my hood first.
Old 12-19-2001, 07:19 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

always...

get the number off the truck.. they will pay for the repair or your deductible. Usually, they will just say "send us the reciept".
Old 12-19-2001, 01:23 PM

Re: always...

Originally posted by TimW
get the number off the truck.. they will pay for the repair or your deductible. Usually, they will just say "send us the reciept".
That is good advice! I wish I would have thought of that when a tire separated from a semi and flew into my "old" honda's window. It scared the *&#! out of me! It caved in the whole window, but never broke. Needless to say, I did not see the truck.

I have big chip on my new 2k2 also. I also hear the silicone repair is the way to go.

FYI - If anyone is in Houston and needs window repair/replacement, email me. One of my clients is the largest supplier in Houston and I can get a discount.