5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

powersteering belt removal???

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 04:49 PM

i was wondering if anyone knows the best way to remove the powersteering belt.

well the powersteering pump belt

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-26-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:50 PM

It could prove to be a pain, its easier when you take off the wheel to gain access, its just the one bolt is pretty hard to get at. Mine is still oem and the car is a 2000.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:59 PM

This should help.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:04 PM

thankss alot
Old 02-22-2011, 06:34 PM

Here is a link to a video on replacing the ps belt on a 4th gen.
It is by a Maxima.org member. The differences between a 4th gen
and a 5th gen are extremely minimal, so you should have a pretty
good idea after watching this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8c1e...E3C3345DC2C64F
Old 02-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just did my belts... well, I did my a/c & alt belt and started to do my p/s belt. I bailed on it because the top bolt was impossible to reach with the tools I had. Oh well. Fortunately, the p/s belt seemed to have less than half the wear of the other belt. I have 130k and both belts were original. Belts last a LOT longer than people think they do.

My recommendation to you: wait for your high pressure p/s hose to spring a leak and get the mechanic to replace the belt when he dose the hose : )
Old 02-24-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by simenau
I just did my belts... well, I did my a/c & alt belt and started to do my p/s belt. I bailed on it because the top bolt was impossible to reach with the tools I had. Oh well. Fortunately, the p/s belt seemed to have less than half the wear of the other belt. I have 130k and both belts were original. Belts last a LOT longer than people think they do.

My recommendation to you: wait for your high pressure p/s hose to spring a leak and get the mechanic to replace the belt when he dose the hose : )
158K on my belt lol still no probs
Old 03-25-2014, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Professor
It could prove to be a pain, its easier when you take off the wheel to gain access, its just the one bolt is pretty hard to get at. Mine is still oem and the car is a 2000.
Today I came up with a really good method for getting to the 14 mm (9/16) bolt on the back of the pump that needs to be loosened to adjust or change the power steering belt. I was tempted to remove my axle to get room for a wrench but decided to take a break and re evaluate it from another angle. Then I came up with the solution. I put a 9/16 on a swivel, then connected 3 six inch extensions together, then slipped it in from between the bottom of the transmission and the lower motor mount all the way across so I was basically coming straight at the bolt at an angle. Then with a ratchet I was able to break the bolt free.*

FYI if anyone has trouble with the tension bolt being rusted or think you're about to break the head off, the replacement part is $6.25 at the nissan dealership (adjustment bolt and square thing). Might as well be safe and just replace it. It's just held on with a 12mm bolt that you're gonna be loosening anyways while changing the belt. Hardest part was orienting the 12 mm back into its hole and starting the threads. Make sure you screw the adjuster bolt halfway into the square and then slip the head of the adjuster bolt into its L shaped slot before you try to line the 12mm up into its hole.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by chrisconley1
I was basically coming straight at the bolt at an angle.
Thanks for the effort on the description.

Why you bumping old threads?

Last edited by Fakie J Farkerton; 03-25-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:07 AM

Have any of you ever heard of a angled wrench????? Took me 20 mins and I got fat hands and never tried once
Old 03-26-2014, 08:31 AM

I cheated when I did my belts. I loosened the idler pulley and removed the main belt. Then I cut the p/s belt and put the new one fully on the crankshaft pulley and half on the p/s pulley. I rotated the crank to get the belt to fully seat on the p/s pulley. And done.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:15 PM

That's an old trick. But rolling it on like that can stretch the belt too much and break the fibers in the belt if the tension adjustment is too tight for the new belt.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:08 PM

Definitely is cheating and not for everyone - worked out for me, saved me a bunch of time and aggravation and damn what a difference new belts made. Mine were original and noisy.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by chrisconley1
Today I came up with a really good method for getting to the 14 mm (9/16) bolt on the back of the pump that needs to be loosened to adjust or change the power steering belt. I was tempted to remove my axle to get room for a wrench but decided to take a break and re evaluate it from another angle. Then I came up with the solution. I put a 9/16 on a swivel, then connected 3 six inch extensions together, then slipped it in from between the bottom of the transmission and the lower motor mount all the way across so I was basically coming straight at the bolt at an angle. Then with a ratchet I was able to break the bolt free.*

FYI if anyone has trouble with the tension bolt being rusted or think you're about to break the head off, the replacement part is $6.25 at the nissan dealership (adjustment bolt and square thing). Might as well be safe and just replace it. It's just held on with a 12mm bolt that you're gonna be loosening anyways while changing the belt. Hardest part was orienting the 12 mm back into its hole and starting the threads. Make sure you screw the adjuster bolt halfway into the square and then slip the head of the adjuster bolt into its L shaped slot before you try to line the 12mm up into its hole.
Come-ere i'm gonna kiss ya! Side note there may or may not be a little shield with 2 bolts in this area. i took that off, did what Chris did but, i left the hole thing there on the bolt and zip-tied the extensions in place while i work on everything else.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bronxboi5
Have any of you ever heard of a angled wrench????? Took me 20 mins and I got fat hands and never tried once
Yeah I know what it is....But truthfully my Dad asked me for years how do I work on cars with 1/4" drive tools? I use the hell out of 1/4" in those tight spot as well as ratcheting wrench, which changed everything once they became available...
Probably the biggest issue when doing these belt are people not loosening that axis bolt at all, or not loosening it enough.... and trying the loosen/tighten that tensioner adjustment bolt first, which in turn destroys the tensioner adjustment bolt threads...I actually love these tensioning systems over that spring loaded GM crap...Anyway read first then attempt to perform the task it makes it le$$ painful...
Old 09-03-2018, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Yeah I know what it is....But truthfully my Dad asked me for years how do I work on cars with 1/4" drive tools? I use the hell out of 1/4" in those tight spot as well as ratcheting wrench, which changed everything once they became available...
Probably the biggest issue when doing these belt are people not loosening that axis bolt at all, or not loosening it enough.... and trying the loosen/tighten that tensioner adjustment bolt first, which in turn destroys the tensioner adjustment bolt threads...I actually love these tensioning systems over that spring loaded GM crap...Anyway read first then attempt to perform the task it makes it le$$ painful...
Funny you say that, i just ended up using 1/4 air ratchet to do the power steering pump belt adjustment. 1/4 seems to fit bill for those tight space for sure.