Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Can I Save Money and Run Low Octane? (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/63069-can-i-save-money-run-low-octane.html)

UMD_MaxSE 12-23-2001 05:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Yep Yep

Originally posted by Jane97SE

:laugh: You miss my cooking, huh?

http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/wavey.gif

RastaManMax 12-23-2001 06:33 PM

Would you harm your engine by putting racing fuel into it?

iwannabmw 12-23-2001 07:01 PM

Originally posted by RastaManMax
Would you harm your engine by putting racing fuel into it?
If it's leaded, you'll screw your cat

maximadave 12-23-2001 07:10 PM

Re: Yep Yep

Originally posted by Empz
That's why my Baby Eats Better than I DO. :(

Sunoco 94 Octane EVERY single damn Fill Up, regardless of my $$$ Status!!! I just eat McDonalds when I'm Poor! :bawling:

I'm there with you Empz...all the way

Jane97SE 12-24-2001 04:01 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Yep Yep

http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/wavey.gif Nauman!

UMD_MaxSE 12-24-2001 04:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yep Yep

http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/wavey.gif Nauman!

you haven't posted in a long time.... busy?

Jane97SE 12-25-2001 09:43 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yep Yep

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

you haven't posted in a long time.... busy?

Yep. I have more time now until school starts again.

Any new toys for the max? You know...the muffler is still available :) ;)

yongjun 12-25-2001 02:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yep Yep

So basically right this in the FAQ
Don't put cheap sh!t in your car ;)

Kimmie accidently put 89 in my car.
She pumped about 4 gallons before I realized it.

DOH

UMD_MaxSE 12-25-2001 03:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yep Yep

Yep. I have more time now until school starts again.

Any new toys for the max? You know...the muffler is still available :) ;)

cool...

nothing new except HIDs.... I need a b-pipe before a new muffler :)

melteye 12-27-2001 02:13 AM

Re: Re: Re: Yep Yep

Originally posted by Empz
Naw Dogg ... I'm a Straight Up "Yellow Fellow" ... I need my "Shark Fin", my nice "Steamed Fish" ... my "Ginsing Soup"!

Or AT LEAST my "Wonton Noodles" ... McD's is killin' me ... my "Yellow" Body Rejects that stuff! :(

lol... i'm white and i probably eat more "asian" food then you.

I really hope that post was a joke ;)

Doom878 06-04-2006 05:43 PM

I don't have a Max but I was wondering given the gas prices have more than doubled since the last post. Have you guys bit the bullet and gone with lower octane? Does the manual even hint that 87 or 89 is the absolute lowest? Has anyone tried it for a prolonged amount of time?

Stardust 06-04-2006 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Doom878
I don't have a Max but I was wondering given the gas prices have more than doubled since the last post. Have you guys bit the bullet and gone with lower octane? Does the manual even hint that 87 or 89 is the absolute lowest? Has anyone tried it for a prolonged amount of time?

Are you really that stupid? Why the hell did you feel the need to bring back a 4.5 year old thread?

Idiot :ban2:

mingo 06-04-2006 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Doom878

you're right, gas prices has pretty much doubled since the last post, but the price difference between the octane levels haven't really changed a whole lot so going to a lower octane won't save you alot of cash considering you might run into more problems for running lower octane for an extended period of time. it's getting real hot out lately too so i'm sure the knock sensor i picking up alot of ping and retarding the timing a good amount for those that are running lower octane. as many have discussed this topic before and have come to the conclusion, don't do it.

Bones45 06-05-2006 06:13 AM

This thread sucks. Its way old and most of it is worthless.

The bottom line is that Nissan says you can use 87 if you want to. If you race your max or drive hard, you should probably use 91. If you drive normally then 87 is fine as long as you dont hear any pinging.

doublea 06-05-2006 06:18 AM

Cheap gas and maxima are two word that doesn't go in the same sentence.

UMD_MaxSE 06-05-2006 06:19 AM

holy sh!t... blast from the past :eek: :eek:

cpuguy06 06-05-2006 10:13 AM

the difference between 87 and premium, is maybe about 3 dollars a fill up.....to me its worth it to always put 91+ in my car, if I would have been lookin for a car to put cheap gas in I would have bought a civic....or a geo metro heaven forbid.....

MrPGE 06-06-2006 02:38 PM

I do a daily run of about 30-70 miles round trip.I kept track of milage for 3 months with premium(91), 3 months with mid(89), and 3 months with (87). My best milage/ppg(price per gallon) was with the mid grade. I've got 97,500 miles and no major problems.
This was done with gas strictly from 76 only.Not easy but thats what I found out.
So stop starving yourselves and go grocery shopping.Eat some cereal for a change. :snap: :Party:

claudiusmaximas 06-07-2006 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Stereodude
It was Car and Driver I believe and they showed that it depended on the car. There were some cars that it made a noticable difference by going to 91 or higher, but then there were other cars that showed no gains by running 91 vs. 87.

So I'd say to some extent the jury is still out until someone actually dynos a VQ with 87 and with 91. (however I'll be putting 91+ in my car once I get it.)

Stereodude

the reason this benz had such a huge gain was most likely because it was boosted. boosted cars show huge gains with octane change as opposed to NA cars. yea you would see small hp gain with NA switching to 93. if ur boosted, go for it.

SinCityMaxPower 06-07-2006 11:33 AM

What part of "Use Premium Fuel Only" dont certain cheap people understand?:smash:

Teufelhunden 06-07-2006 01:41 PM

ive been putting 89 for the past year or so, switching from 93. no pinging and iv probalby saved about, 140. not much for a whole year, but its something. i get just as good gas milage, but i guess not the same HP. doesnt matter since i dont race.

benson1127 07-20-2006 08:41 AM

I'm new to having a maxima, and I was curious, is there much difference in terms of performance between 91 and 93? Is it worth it to step up that much more? I came from a little 4-cylinder saturn, so I am used to the cheapo stuff. Thanks for any answers.

footballplyrdan 07-20-2006 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by benson1127
I'm new to having a maxima, and I was curious, is there much difference in terms of performance between 91 and 93? Is it worth it to step up that much more? I came from a little 4-cylinder saturn, so I am used to the cheapo stuff. Thanks for any answers.

there is no performance difference between any grade of gas. The only time a higher octane (91 or 93) is needed is if the car is knocking/pinging which means there is not enough octane in the gasoline to burn properly. All maximas are rated to run fine on standard 89 octane (regular).

so if your car exhibits knocking or pinging, use a higher octane but if not, regular is fine to use.

H8tank 08-27-2006 01:58 PM

I've used 87 about 90% of the time for the past 8 months, no pinging, perfomance seems fine. Never buy gas from old/delapidated places though.

I'll usually pop for 91 if taking an extended road trip in the heat.

limbicautonomy 08-27-2006 06:55 PM

maybe it's just my max...or maybe it's just me, but if i've used anything less than premium (93) it just doesn't feel like it's running right.

illlojik 08-27-2006 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by limbicautonomy
maybe it's just my max...or maybe it's just me, but if i've used anything less than premium (93) it just doesn't feel like it's running right.

:sprint: I agree, my car does feel sluggish sometimes with 89. It also depends on what station I get the gas from. I've been to stations where thier 92/93 runs crappier than some 89.

san shou fan 08-27-2006 08:59 PM

I just bought my maxima gle a few weeks ago, I drove a corolla previously so the gas mileage is just killing me. Not to sound like too much of an idiot but how will one know if the engine is knocking or pinging if a lower octane is used? Will a warning sensor go off on the dash board or will it be something audible? Thanks.

PhillyMAx 08-28-2006 04:35 AM

I've been switching between 89 and 93 monthly for the past 5 months, with absolutely zero difference in MPG, and nothing different performance-wise. Guess I'll go 89 for the majority of my future purchases.

claudiusmaximas 08-28-2006 07:23 AM

honestly, ive tried 87,89, and 91 and there is no difference in my car's performance. i used to put 91 regularly, but switched to 89. it doesnt feel any different and the car runs fine. i guess the whole "i feel the performance go down a little when i change octane..." could all be in our heads lol who knows.

MacGarnicle 08-28-2006 07:44 AM

how did you test this? or are you just using the butt dyno.