5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

AE Auto Tranny Pedals for a 5.5 gen Auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 06:39 PM

AE Auto Tranny Pedals for a 5.5 gen Auto

Hey guys! I want to get AE pedals (auto tranny) to fit onto my 5.5 gen pedals, and am not opposed to buying new parts from the dealer if I can't find junkyard units. However, on the purchasing new option, I was using the courtesyparts look-up, and have two questions that hopefully someone with tried-and-true experience can help answer or confirm:

1. Would I have to get an entire accelerator pedal assembly off an AE for my car, or would I be okay just buying the AE metal pad piece and an accelerator pad bushing, and both will directly fit on my existing pedal assembly?

See here, and you'll see why I'm kinda confused: http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...1973_1980.html

2. For the Brake pedal, I know I would simply just cut off the old pad and then install the AE metal pad, but I read conflicting posts on a thread I searched.....does the AE metal pad fit onto the existing pedal the same way the original rubber piece does, or would I really have to glue on the AE metal piece to the flat back of the brake pedal?

Hope to get some tried and true feedback. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2011, 06:44 PM

From what I asked DaveB and what I did, you will need to get the entire gas pedal and just the brake pad. The brake pad is a bish to put on but doable and the gas pedal bolts up the same same way you take the old one off... also know mine is a 99 I don't think yours hooks up much differently. Hope this helps GL

Last edited by mista0406; 07-31-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:13 PM

^ Thanks for your feedback above, but you have a 4th gen, which upon checking, is the same accelerator unit that's used on the 2001 model, so it works for you.

Okay, I think I've figured it out for my 5.5 and am thinking out loud here.....I can get the brake pedal pad to fit directly to my existing brake pedal, but because I have a drive-by-wire throttle, which will be a different pedal assembly unit from an AE, swapping pedal assemblies out of an AE won't work. I will need to find a pedal assembly out of a 2002 6-MT Maxima, but even then, judging from the parts look-up diagram, the pedal assemblies on the 6-MTs vs. the auto trannies bolt on differently to it's pedal lever bracket (I think??????) even though the bracket is the same, AND I wouldn't be able to just buy the metal pad to fit my existing accelerator because my auto tranny pedal stem is different, GRRRRR.

I guess my simplest question now would be, has ANYONE with an auto 5.5 gen done this mod successfully? lol.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:44 PM

This should help a lot.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/224200...-maxima/page-5
Old 08-01-2011, 05:37 AM

Regarding the gas pedal, this thread may help. Read it through to the end. It's short.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...pedal-pad.html
Old 08-01-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by djshwini
Thank you so much! Very helpful.

Whereabouts are you in Gainesville? I've been there many times for business at UF, and love the little town. OMG, the girls there are the hottest I've ever seen in my life! I've eaten at DragonFly, sang karaoke at Lillian's (lol), and stayed at the Hilton UF everytime.

Thanks to you too, Rochester.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Regarding the gas pedal, this thread may help. Read it through to the end. It's short.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...pedal-pad.html

Good write-up John, you are very detailed and good with your hands. Thanks for the link.

Hmmm, what you had to go through seems to have been different than one of the posters in your thread re. plug and play as well as djshwini above. Do you think it's because you used a 350Z gas pedal vs. one specifically for an AE Maxima??? (unless they are one in the same part)
Old 08-01-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Will
Good write-up John, you are very detailed and good with your hands.

Hmmm, what you had to go through seems to have been different than one of the posters in your thread re. plug and play as well as djshwini above. Do you think it's because you used a 350Z gas pedal vs. one specifically for an AE Maxima??? (unless they are one in the same part)
The Dead Pedal was from the Z, not the gas pedal... although the gas pedals between the 350Z and the 5.5 gen w/HLSD might be identical parts. IDK.

The reason I went through so much bother figuring out a hack for the gas pedal is because all I ordered was the pedal pad itself, and not the entire assembly. If it were the whole assembly, everything would have bolted right up. As it was, I had to get creative. And I probably saved 2/3 the cost of the entire assembly.

FYI, this Fall will have been 2 years since the mod, and the gas pedal is still solidly connected. No issues at all. It might have been a hack (my words), but it turned out to be an effective one.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-01-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:51 PM

Whereabouts are you in Gainesville? I've been there many times for business at UF, and love the little town. OMG, the girls there are the hottest I've ever seen in my life! I've eaten at DragonFly, sang karaoke at Lillian's (lol), and stayed at the Hilton UF everytime.
Yeah Ive lived in Gainesville since 95 but I recently moved to Tampa to attend University of South Florida (yes I'm only 18).
UF definitely has some beautiful women and is a great school, but honestly there is no way i can spend 4 more years there.

I've actually been wanting to do this mod for a while but never got around to it. Will probably do it soon because the summer semester ends in a week.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:53 PM

^ Cool, djshwini.

So I got my brand-new pedals in. I'm the jerk who ordered the last AE gas pedal remaining in all of Canada.

I was surprised the see the holes on the gas pedal are hollow unlike the brake pedal, with the grippy nubs. I'll do the install tomorrow, but in the meantime, I thought I'd throw out the questions, is the gas pedal slippery, and with those holes there, does winter driving cause the pedal stem behind it to rust over time? If so, I'll need to rustproof the stem.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:42 PM

I was surprised the see the holes on the gas pedal are hollow unlike the brake pedal, with the grippy nubs. I'll do the install tomorrow, but in the meantime, I thought I'd throw out the questions, is the gas pedal slippery, and with those holes there, does winter driving cause the pedal stem behind it to rust over time? If so, I'll need to rustproof the stem.
You're over-thinking it. (I did, too.)
Old 08-04-2011, 02:46 PM

Thank you so much! Very helpful.

Thanks to you too, Rochester.

The hottest you've ever seenj/k, travel a little more down south next time.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:24 PM

FYI, the 5.5 Titanium edition has the same or very similar pedals.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
FYI, the 5.5 Titanium edition has the same or very similar pedals.
That's because your TE has HLSD.

"Worms. Spice. What is the connection?"

Last edited by Rochester; 08-04-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:06 PM

Oh I wasn't aware that was the connection, thanks for clearing that up.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:10 AM

Was that a Dune reference?
Old 08-05-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rhyno02
Was that a Dune reference?
Yes. Rochester is the the Quizat Haderach.

I go to the place where women cannot go.