5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Got my Cattman y-pipe installed today - I like!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 01:47 AM
Toolie

There is a way to avoid the fees, but it is a bit of a pain. You have to tell the shipper that YOU will pay the tax on the item. If the shipper fills out the paper work properly for that and you get your tracking number, you call the nearest CBSA office with the tracking number and tell them you are expecting a package from company X at blah blah address from USA. There is a CBSA office in most cities. You are supposed to be able to give them all the details and then give them the tax money. But you have to do this before the package shows up to your door. I'm not sure if this works, but I did talk to a CBSA agent last time I got raped and he mentioned this to me. I know with Fedex there is a box to check asking who will pay the taxes. But UPS needs to make there money back for all the free shipping they do so the rape the recipient not the shipper. I recently got charged 42 dollars for a 54 dollar package. I drove to Fort Erie and paid the friggin 7 dollars tax because the package came to my door and I refused to pay the 35 dollar fees. Then the bastard driver just left the package on my front porch without even ringing the doorbell. The CBSA guy said I could have called Hamilton airport CBSA with the tracking number and paid the tax ahead of time if the shipper marked it on the package as taxes paid by consignee.

Last edited by knight_yyz; 09-19-2011 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by spock
Same extortion I paid. I keep forgetting to specify USPS when ordering parts from the US.
Are you doing it yourself?
Ya I plan to, it was supposed to be a simple job because I know the pre's and main were replaced within the last year, so the bolts shouldn't be too bad to get loose.

To my dismay, I just found that the A hole who installed the main, welded it to the stock y. I had planned to gut the pre's while I had it off, but now am torn between doing that, or welding a flange on the stock main or getting a high flow and forgetting about the pre's. I just can't make up my mind, any input is welcome
Old 09-19-2011, 06:21 PM

I'd replace the new main for sure, if it's just welded @ the y side and not the cat back side. And if the pre's were replaced within the last year, (and not welded), I'd leave them be.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Banned

lol ur an asz, a y-pipe will see little to no power gain with clogged or worn out pre-cats op should have defibality replaced them or gutted. i see u spending another 150-200 in labor in the future......
Originally Posted by Rochester
No gut on the pre-cats, eh? I thought maybe you would have gone for that.

All the really cool kids are doing it these days.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Clashez
lol ur an asz, a y-pipe will see little to no power gain with clogged or worn out pre-cats op should have defibality replaced them or gutted. i see u spending another 150-200 in labor in the future......
Really? He should have defibality replaced them?

Are you defibality sure of that?
Old 09-20-2011, 06:07 PM

Who said anything about clogged or worn out precats? Man, your digging yourself in deeper and deeper...
Old 09-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Banned

Really? He should have defibality replaced them?

Are you defibality sure of that?
lol I didn't catch that i was typing on the cell phone small screen & small buttons..... But i'm definitely sure about my statement above if that's his case.

Who said anything about clogged or worn out precats? Man, your digging yourself in deeper and deeper...
How meny miles does your pre-cats have on them are they original.
I'm all ready waste deep....
Old 09-20-2011, 07:32 PM

Ya Spock, how meny miles does your pre-cats have on them?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:47 PM

86,000. Mechanic said nothing unusual looking about precats that he could see. Also, no rattling, or any performance issues.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:24 AM

Mine only had 69,000 miles on them when they were gutted last month.

Turns out they were fine. But I had them gutted anyway, just for the fun of it.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:19 PM

Now that you've had them gutted for a while, do you feel that the performance gains were worth the money spent?
Slightly off topic, but I just want to keep Clashez titillated.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:24 PM

I did the y pipe, new precats(to reduce the broken exhaust sound), removed the rear cats, put in megan exhaust, and a resonated test pipe. Cats & y pipe where coated with an insulating coating to keep the heat in.

The power is there, I find myself getting my foot in it often, but the exhaust sounds terrible imo.

Next up is going to be the spacers and bop, and I think I found a local guy with a consult II so timing bump as well.

Do you guys have a clip with the gutted precats, y pipe and stock exhaust?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:34 PM

But you don't have stock exhaust anymore. Did you keep it and are thinking of going back?
Reinforces my thoughts of keeping stock muffler @ the very least.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Finally got around to working on the Maxima recently. Freshened up the suspension with KYB Excels, strut mounts and oem bumpstops, new front discs and pads, and replaced all the Y-pipe/main cat nuts-thank god for acetylene torches is all I can say as I managed to salvage the O2 sensor and studs and avoid the hassle of redrilling. I had planned on replacing the axles before doing the exhaust, but one look at the underside and I realized the carrier bolts on the P/S were inacessible with the stock y pipe in place, so...
Yesterday was get the Y off, replace the axles, then fight with the flanges on the cat...WOW!! That was just loads of fun...185k kms...that y/ main cat joint has never been apart, and didn't want to part now, After some penetrating oil, pounding, and more pounding with a chisel, it finally came apart. BTW, the front pre-cat joint was no picnic either...I'd think twice about doing this install yourself if your Y is original and you live anywhere subject to corrosion.
Got the new Y on, and did a quick install of a Megan OE-RS exhaust I picked up a few months ago. Didn't have time to extend the O2 sensor wires so stashed the sensor and plugged the fitting. I'm back to the garage today to install everything properly, especially the exhaust as it's banging around .
First impressions? I hope the exhaust sound I'm hearing is the result of a loose joint, or the plug I forgot to tighten fell out of the O2 fitting-the exhaust is much louder than I expected it would be- and the car sounds like a 4 cylinder. I'll post the end result after I'm satisfied the installation is complete, since I know spock among others is considering a new exhaust to go with the Cattman Y.

Last edited by StevieB; 09-22-2011 at 04:16 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:17 AM

But you don't have stock exhaust anymore. Did you keep it and are thinking of going back?
Reinforces my thoughts of keeping stock muffler @ the very least.
The stock stuff is shot. The flex pipe was leaking, the rear exhaust section was bent from when I was rear ended causing it to rub on the gas tank, and the rear muffler was replaced once. The rear muffler was also cracked from when I was hit.

I'll try to get a video this weekend. It does not sound like the youtube videos I heard prior to buying, but I also did delete 2 cats.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:06 AM

Not trying to thread jack but would a 3inch y pipe show any gains over the 2.5 inch y pipe pared with 3 inch exhaust?

Sounds like you guys are noticing the gains just from the 2.5 inch y pipe with either stock exhaust or the megan so I'm sure bigger can be better?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:35 PM

Not according to cattman.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by StevieB
Finally got around to working on the Maxima recently. Freshened up the suspension with KYB Excels, strut mounts and oem bumpstops, new front discs and pads, and replaced all the Y-pipe/main cat nuts-thank god for acetylene torches is all I can say as I managed to salvage the O2 sensor and studs and avoid the hassle of redrilling. I had planned on replacing the axles before doing the exhaust, but one look at the underside and I realized the carrier bolts on the P/S were inacessible with the stock y pipe in place, so...
Yesterday was get the Y off, replace the axles, then fight with the flanges on the cat...WOW!! That was just loads of fun...185k kms...that y/ main cat joint has never been apart, and didn't want to part now, After some penetrating oil, pounding, and more pounding with a chisel, it finally came apart. BTW, the front pre-cat joint was no picnic either...I'd think twice about doing this install yourself if your Y is original and you live anywhere subject to corrosion.
Got the new Y on, and did a quick install of a Megan OE-RS exhaust I picked up a few months ago. Didn't have time to extend the O2 sensor wires so stashed the sensor and plugged the fitting. I'm back to the garage today to install everything properly, especially the exhaust as it's banging around .
First impressions? I hope the exhaust sound I'm hearing is the result of a loose joint, or the plug I forgot to tighten fell out of the O2 fitting-the exhaust is much louder than I expected it would be- and the car sounds like a 4 cylinder. I'll post the end result after I'm satisfied the installation is complete, since I know spock among others is considering a new exhaust to go with the Cattman Y.
You don't have to extend the sensor wires. Just unplug and relocate the wire path. They will reach.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:11 PM

I would like to hear your 2.5 megan exhaust. And driving impressions once you have everything squared away. Did you finish up the 02's yet? Everything reaches fine, you probably were just to worn out to think it through .
Old 09-22-2011, 09:20 PM

...and I thought it was loud last night..OUCH! The O2 plug did fall out, so it was very loud this morning. I ended up extending the O2 wires, there was no way it would reach otherwise. But you're right 7speed, I was beat like a rug by the time I had everything "installed", hence not even remembering to tighten the O2 plug. Took my time today and supported/adjusted/tightened the exhaust and clamped the hangers-no more banging and no apparent leaks. The car is very quiet at idle, but as soon as I accelerate harder I still find it quite loud. I'll have the chance to drive it more in the next couple of days and provide more feedback, but I'm hoping the volume diminishes with carbon build up, as others have noticed with new systems. I have a mic floating around someplace which I'll use to make a sound clip as soon as I can.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:08 PM

...and I thought it was loud last night..OUCH! The O2 plug did fall out, so it was very loud this morning. I ended up extending the O2 wires, there was no way it would reach otherwise. But you're right 7speed, I was beat like a rug by the time I had everything "installed", hence not even remembering to tighten the O2 plug. Took my time today and supported/adjusted/tightened the exhaust and clamped the hangers-no more banging and no apparent leaks. The car is very quiet at idle, but as soon as I accelerate harder I still find it quite loud. I'll have the chance to drive it more in the next couple of days and provide more feedback, but I'm hoping the volume diminishes with carbon build up, as others have noticed with new systems. I have a mic floating around someplace which I'll use to make a sound clip as soon as I can.
I've heard many reports on the Megan exhaust being loud. (I'm going to make a disclaimer, since my car's exhaust is stone stock from the main cat forward.) But for those looking for a quieter alternative to the 2 1/2"Megan OE-RS catback. See this post http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ml#post8249660

Last edited by BobPezz; 03-10-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by BobPezz
I've heard many reports on the Megan exhaust being loud. (I'm going to make a disclaimer, since my car's exhaust is stone stock from the main cat forward.)
Bob, it's bone stock, not "stone stock."
Old 09-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02AutoMax
Not trying to thread jack but would a 3inch y pipe show any gains over the 2.5 inch y pipe pared with 3 inch exhaust?

Sounds like you guys are noticing the gains just from the 2.5 inch y pipe with either stock exhaust or the megan so I'm sure bigger can be better?
Not according to cattman.
Cat-man knows nothing then, he's just the middle man. And doesn't do any real R&D him self to even give the answer to that question....

Only reason he hasn't made one is cuz he doesn't want to pay someone to do the RND for him to build one and or probably not worth it to him, cuz you will buy the 2.5 any way

I did my own leg work(looked thru a few other diffrent car forums) before purchasing my 3'' y-pipe from warpspeed, more power was made with a 3'' y over the 2.5 on a few diffrent types of vehicles. So the question is why not the VQ35....

Chit did i just drop a fire bomb

Back on subject.... so how was fitment... are u liking the all awesome new power... can we get a video

Last edited by Clashez; 09-23-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:43 PM

It's R&D, you freaking idiot. Not RND.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:56 PM

And you know this how? Clashez, must you be so belligerent?

Last edited by spock; 09-23-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned

And you know this how? Clashez, must you be so belligerent?
I will elaborate more on the subject tomorow if you would like ( in your thread), but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

belligerent whats this word mean ?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:47 PM

Cat-man knows nothing then, he's just the middle man. And doesn't do any real RND him self to even give the answer to that question....

Only reason he hasn't made one is cuz he doesn't want to pay someone to do the RND for him to build one and or probably not worth it to him, cuz you will buy the 2.5 any way

I did my own leg work(looked thru a few other diffrent car forums) before purchasing my 3'' y-pipe from warpspeed, more power was made with a 3'' y over the 2.5 on a few diffrent types of vehicles. So the question is why not the VQ35....

Chit did i just drop a fire bomb

Back on subject.... so how was fitment... are u liking the all awesome new power... can we get a video
Its always he say she say, got to bust the dynos to prove it, only a few do it Nmex and Sparks mainly...
Old 09-24-2011, 05:50 AM

It's R&D, you freaking idiot. Not RND.
Calm down 'chester. Consider the source! "Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

BTW; Here's a copy of the post I saw via E-Mail.

Here is the message that has just been posted:
It's R&D, you witless tool.
I guess you had to dumb down your comment so it could be understood. I.E.

Last edited by BobPezz; 09-24-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:00 AM

(sigh) You're right.

Clashez, I apologize for calling you an idiot again. It was unseemly, and apparently unnecessary, as it seems Pezz doesn't need the added commentary to reinforce his own conclusions on the active members here.

Carry on. And kids... stay in school.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:10 AM

(sigh) You're right.

Clashez, I apologize for calling you an idiot again. It was unseemly, and apparently unnecessary, as it seems Pezz doesn't need the added commentary to reinforce his own conclusions on the active members here.

Carry on. And kids... stay in school.
Unseemly might not be an appropriate word to use, too big. Which tends to obscure the sincerity of your apology. It's like me saying the poster, who's moniker seems VERY descriptive <IMHO> is being Haughty and Belligerent.

Last edited by BobPezz; 09-24-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:49 AM

I think this pretty much sums it up.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:00 AM

I think this pretty much sums it up.
It obviously proves a point!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Banned

lolz
Old 09-24-2011, 07:34 AM
Banned

lol I did the whole RND on purpose lol to see if my comment would be corrected or would someone have an answer to the question.... it's a test kids your heads are all in the wrong places.

Last edited by Clashez; 09-24-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:35 AM

lolz
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...0definition%29
Old 09-27-2011, 09:07 PM

I stand corrected, this sounds nice!

Now that I've had a chance to drive the car for several days, some observations. The y-pipe, being of unequal length, changes the sound of the exhaust. Others have noted the change-my impression is it seems to make the combustion pulsations less numerous and more distinct, as if the engine was a 4 or 5 cylinder rather than a 6(more on that later). I'm guessing the pulsations are overlapping and creating this effect. The Megan exhaust has grown on me after a few days and I don't find it noisy anymore. The acid test was my spouse mentioned it sounded nice and was not noisy at idle or part throttle-but she found it quite loud at WOT. A colleague I dropped off this evening also commented positively on the exhaust sound.
I find the exhaust sound is throatier, but seems more subdued in a sense than stock with just an intake. I keep being surprised to see my rpms at 3,5 or 4k as I accelerate, because the engine sounds like it's turning less rpms now-which ties into my comment about the pulsations. I tried recording some sound clips, but they didn't turn out -will try again as time permits if anyone still interested. I'm going to replace the Helmholtz chamber on the intake and see if that will diminish the howl a bit at WOT. Last thing-subjective, but my impression is I have better pickup from a stop and on the highway. For reference, my precats and main cat are intact, and I have a custom intake with 3" OD midpipe.

Last edited by StevieB; 09-29-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:15 PM

I think my intake setup is similar to yours with helmoltz, and I like the additional noise because to me its too quiet without the pipe. But damn without the helmoltz your WOT will by screaming. To reduce noise you will need to loose the pipe. Maybe I don't notice any change to exhaust sound because I'm still on factory setup. Plus I never get to hear it from outside. Can't wait to hear clips, I think I would be more open to exhaust if I had manual. Plus I like my stealth setup.

Ypipe FTW. But if anyone asks I just have intake LOL
Old 09-28-2011, 06:28 PM

More time with mine has me thinking it's a little "throatier" @ idle and lower rpms. I also have a SRI with hemholtz, (or however you spell it). No louder @ wot, if anything a little quieter on the intake noise. Which is fine by me. Hey, I'm not looking to set off any alarms, (reference to another post).
I did install NWP spacers a couple of weeks prior to the new ypipe.
My findings are more power out of the hole and low rpm are quite noticable. Mid range to upper rpm doesn't feel like a strong pull, but the tach and speedo say otherwise. Not sure what's going on here. I can feel the vias kick in a lot more now as well. Hmmm, guess I shouldn't have sold my NWP BOP last year. Tried it b4 the pipe & spacers and noticed a loss of power in the low end.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:41 PM

More time with mine has me thinking it's a little "throatier" @ idle and lower rpms. I also have a SRI with hemholtz, (or however you spell it). No louder @ wot, if anything a little quieter on the intake noise. Which is fine by me. Hey, I'm not looking to set off any alarms, (reference to another post).
I did install NWP spacers a couple of weeks prior to the new ypipe.
My findings are more power out of the hole and low rpm are quite noticable. Mid range to upper rpm doesn't feel like a strong pull, but the tach and speedo say otherwise. Not sure what's going on here. I can feel the vias kick in a lot more now as well. Hmmm, guess I shouldn't have sold my NWP BOP last year. Tried it b4 the pipe & spacers and noticed a loss of power in the low end.
Your right before spacers, bop plate felt the loss on low range daily driving. After with spacers seemed to be gone. Then with Ypipe, visa delete kick feels stronger.
True test won't come until track day. But I'm glad I got on the group buy and didn't listen to posts that said yipe on 5.5 isn't worth it.

Last edited by 7speed; 09-28-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:07 PM

I understand what you're saying, about how it takes a while to wrap your head around a change in the car. I added basic (mild) power-boltons slowly, year over year. Things add up nicely to a new normal that is so much better than OEM normal.

2006 - SRI
2007 - catback
2008 - Ypipe
2009 - Crank Pulley and Phenolic Spacers
2010 - BOP and Torque Link
2011 - gutted precats

NWP is selling their basic BOP for cheaper now than when you first bought it. You should give the VIAS-delete another try, I think you'll like it.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-28-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Got my Cattman y-pipe installed today - I like!