5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My newest protoype

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Toolie

My newest protoype

I've noticed in the last 2 months or so that my engine is sagging a little bit on the passenger side. This has reduced the clearance between my cattman loop and the front engine crossmember. I didn't want to pay over 100 CDN for a replacement passenger engine mount. (mine has a small tear right now) So I came up with this. I grabbed a side mount from a friend and gutted it and sandblasted it. Then looked for some urethane at work but we didn't have anything with more than 81mm diameter. So I found 76 mm and made a spacer.

Then I pressed the spacer into the gutted mount, and then pressed the urethane into the mount. Notice the angles just like ES used on the engine mounts. Then I tapped in a collar for the bolt.

Voila...

Now it is a prototype, I believe this is shore A 60 durometer. Also it needs lips on the outside to keep it in place. Hopefully this will act like a torque link and stop the sag, and prevent the clunk that some people experience on the passenger side of the car when going over bumps. I'll be test fitting on Sunday. Hopefully it won't vibrate like a bed in a cheap motel. LOL

Last edited by knight_yyz; 10-13-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:56 PM

Looking good as always knight,Keep us posted.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:21 PM

great job.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:49 PM

Damn that looks nice...Great Job...
Old 10-13-2011, 05:55 PM

You and your engine mount collars... you've been down this road before with Ghost's car, right?

I think it's brilliant. And yeah, I think you'll be feeling a fair amount of NVH, but not any more than (or even as much as) an engine brace like the NWP Torque Link...

...which reminds me, weren't you going to fabricate your own engine brace off the passenger mount? How's that project going?
Old 10-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Toolie

I only used a collar for this because I didn't have a large diameter urethane. Needed something 81mm or bigger but we didn't have any at work. I'd prefer to not use a collar, it would mean a larger piece of soft material so probably less vibration.

I got burned on the torque link project. ******* took my money for the parts but never delivered, and didn't respond to my emails.

I have actually made the collar so at least 5 people with autos did not have to source out MT mounts.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Toolie

I'm trying to source a bigger piece of urethane so I can eliminate the collar. I even asked a company to quote me a custom mount, but they said there was a minimum order. Maybe if 10 guys were interested I could convince them to make me a mold. I already have the plastic prototype to make the mold with
Old 10-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Banned

I was working on some mounts awhile back and found some poly rod in sizes up to 6" ill post the links in the morning for you.the one supplier even has the 2 part pourable poly.
http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Ru...tml?catdepth=1
http://www.professionalplastics.com/PLASTIC-RODS
I actually have a 2ft piece of the 6" rod in 92 hardness i just never got to do it(laziness).But i mind as well try now sence i have to drop this new motor in the car.

Last edited by cjandura; 10-14-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:57 PM

maybe you could market this as a torque link substitute for supercharged people... I would get one....

The SC sits where the torque brace would mount so a product for that application would be nice
Old 10-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Toolie

Originally Posted by cjandura
I was working on some mounts awhile back and found some poly rod in sizes up to 6" ill post the links in the morning for you.the one supplier even has the 2 part pourable poly.

I'm in Canada, so shipping is a pain. Looking for something local.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Toolie

Originally Posted by McSteve
maybe you could market this as a torque link substitute for supercharged people... I would get one....

The SC sits where the torque brace would mount so a product for that application would be nice
I'll look into the prices. If the other engine mounts are 40-45 each plus shipping, I have to make sure that these would be about the same or less.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:24 PM

Wonderful job! this idea has been toyed with in the past, but I have not seen anyone actually follow through(including myself) Keep at it! and when you can loose the collar I'm sure it will sell VERY well
Old 10-13-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
I'm trying to source a bigger piece of urethane so I can eliminate the collar. I even asked a company to quote me a custom mount, but they said there was a minimum order. Maybe if 10 guys were interested I could convince them to make me a mold. I already have the plastic prototype to make the mold with
If I were keeping my car another year even, you know that I'd be all over this. As it is... good luck and happy motoring, Ray.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:41 PM

Knight, where in Canada u from Ontario? I'm just outside Toronto
Old 10-13-2011, 07:47 PM

I've noticed in the last 2 months or so that my engine is sagging a little bit on the passenger side. This has reduced the clearance between my cattman loop and the front engine crossmember. I didn't want to pay over 100 CDN for a replacement passenger engine mount. (mine has a small tear right now) So I came up with this. I grabbed a side mount from a friend and gutted it and sandblasted it. Then looked for some urethane at work but we didn't have anything with more than 81mm diameter. So I found 76 mm and made a spacer.

Then I pressed the spacer into the gutted mount, and then pressed the urethane into the mount. Notice the angles just like ES used on the engine mounts. Then I tapped in a collar for the bolt.

Voila...

Now it is a prototype, I believe this is shore A 60 durometer. Also it needs lips on the outside to keep it in place. Hopefully this will act like a torque link and stop the sag, and prevent the clunk that some people experience on the passenger side of the car when going over bumps. I'll be test fitting on Sunday. Hopefully it won't vibrate like a bed in a cheap motel. LOL
Thats what that is thought my axle was acting up
Old 10-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Toolie

Originally Posted by Brl24
Knight, where in Canada u from Ontario? I'm just outside Toronto
Hamilton

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
Thats what that is thought my axle was acting up
it's pretty common, but the regular ES bushings help calm it down.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:13 PM

i understand that a stock manual tranny mount is usually substituted for the front one to avoid paying for the electronic mount. true?

are the other stock mounts good enough to use for replacement (especially on the pass side for the clunk) or do i need to use ES ones to get rid of the clunking?

my pass side mount is bulging slightly at the front and the front mount is torn so i hear this clunking over bumps all the time.

i guess i need to talk to Dave B. - nice work on your mount!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Toolie

this is what I think it should look like
Old 10-13-2011, 09:45 PM

Wow... cool idea!
Old 10-14-2011, 06:11 AM
You embarrass me.

Subscribed. Boss work here, Knight. Always a fan of your handy work. Keep us posted please!
Old 10-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Toolie

Probably looking at 50 shipped. You get the custom urethane bushing and the sleeve. Any takers? Need 10 minimum to get the ball rolling
Old 10-14-2011, 01:35 PM

Probably looking at 50 shipped. You get the custom urethane bushing and the sleeve. Any takers? Need 10 minimum to get the ball rolling
And this is the front mount that connects to the lower core support, correct?
Old 10-14-2011, 01:44 PM
You embarrass me.

I'm interested, as I have a Pass. Side Mount ready to go in, but is that a picture of the final product?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Toolie

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Mounts the engine to passenger side inner fender
Old 10-14-2011, 02:02 PM

Mounts the engine to passenger side inner fender
Ahh ok, I see that now
Old 10-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Toolie

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
I'm interested, as I have a Pass. Side Mount ready to go in, but is that a picture of the final product?
No it is not the final product. You will receive an injection molded polyurethane mount and a sleeve for the bolt. You will have to figure out how to have your present mount gutted.

The part I made as a PROTOTYPE, is machined polyurethane.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
No, it's the side mount close to the passenger strut tower. It's where the NWP torque brace goes and prevents the engine from leaning either to the front or back.

EDIT: having windows open for a long time and not hitting refresh sucks haha
Old 10-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Toolie

The stock mount is 51mm in width but sits in a bracket about 86mm wide. The bushing can squish around in that space. My design will fill in that gap and the silly spaces that Nissan designed into the original
Old 10-14-2011, 02:42 PM

The stock mount is 51mm in width but sits in a bracket about 86mm wide. The bushing can squish around in that space. My design will fill in that gap and the silly spaces that Nissan designed into the original
Is the driver's side mount the same diameter?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:46 PM

I just replaced mine a while ago with an after market one, it is solid unlike the stock one but I'm not sure what it's made of. Do the es bushings go in the front to back or the transverse, or both? I would def grab one off ya, what would you be looking for pick up, I'm just in Barrie so I could probably just meet you, or come to you?
Old 10-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Toolie

I have to work out the final price. But ballpark from only one quote puts them at about 35 each plus shipping. Waiting for a few more quotes. Bty that price includes making of the mold.

As to drivers side mount I have no idea on the size. The passenger side is same size but different design for MT and auto
Old 10-14-2011, 03:17 PM

I filled all 4 of my mt mounts with 3M Windoweld and am absolutely amazed at the results.

Super smooth shifts, no wheel hop, little to no bucking. Even the 2nd gear grind has become almost a thing of the past.

So I can only imagine nothing but positive results with these inserts.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Toolie

The acrylic model with a bright flashlight pointing at it
Old 10-14-2011, 04:25 PM

Aw, you're killing me, OP!

Passenger and tranny mounts have been on my list for a while, but it just never happened. Mostly because there was no "mod" per se, it woud have just been an OEM replacement since ES doesn't make those bushings.

I wish you were doing this last year.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Toolie

I didn't need this last year. I have been told by lots of Nissan master techs, and mechanics that the side mounts never need replacing. But after working in maximas in my driveway and reading in here I find it is super common for the passenger mount to fail. And now mine is failing.

Bty, the acrylic model pictured above will not be used. It isn't polished enough and too many imperfections. I have to make a metal one, so the acrylic was to see if I could do it with the machinery I have at work.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:44 PM

I didn't need this last year. I have been told by lots of Nissan master techs, and mechanics that the side mounts never need replacing. But after working in maximas in my driveway and reading in here I find it is super common for the passenger mount to fail.
My thoughts exactly... except for the driveway thing

Go for it. I think this is a good project, knight. I bet you this would be somewhere between OEM mounts and having an engine brace. More secure than stock, but not as rough as the Torque Link.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Toolie

Originally Posted by Rochester

I bet you this would be somewhere between OEM mounts and having an engine brace. More secure than stock, but not as rough as the Torque Link.
Well, let's hope so. I will update on Sunday after the install of the test piece.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:01 PM

If this mount will work in my 4thgen Id be in. Im not familiar with 5.5 side mount
Old 10-14-2011, 06:25 PM

I didn't need this last year. I have been told by lots of Nissan master techs, and mechanics that the side mounts never need replacing. But after working in maximas in my driveway and reading in here I find it is super common for the passenger mount to fail. And now mine is failing.

Bty, the acrylic model pictured above will not be used. It isn't polished enough and too many imperfections. I have to make a metal one, so the acrylic was to see if I could do it with the machinery I have at work.
That's got to be a crock. My side mount failed @ 125k km or so resulting in the infamous clunk. Replaced it with one from Rock Auto and no more clunk.
Have at it Ray, it sounds like your going to fill a gap that ES hasn't.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

I'll take one off ya as well

Quick Reply: My newest protoype