5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Car died while driving, but mechanic say's everything is fine

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 03:32 PM

Car died while driving, but mechanic say's everything is fine

So I was driving down to a meet last sunday, as I was sitting in traffic the car died on me. I turned the car back on and started driving a little and it shut off again as I was driving.

I stopped the car and tried to turn it on and nothing happened, so I got out and fidgeted with the battery terminals and I came back and it started right up. It ended up dying 3 more times like this, each time fidgeting with the battery made it start again.

So long story short I took the car to NTB (luckily I made it there), and today (thurs.) they called and said they took the car out and there was nothing wrong with it. They said it started right up and drove perfectly fine.

Now I know there is something wrong here as the car would not die multiple times and nothing be wrong.

My assumption was that the alternator was shot, and needs replacing but I am just not sure anymore.

I am going to pick it up tomorrow. Do you guys think it is safe to drive it about 15 miles back to my apartment? I am lost on what I should do.

The NTB is in Bowie, MD and I have to get back to College Park, MD for the locals around here.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Banned

check the 2 piece connection between the battery terminal and that square fuse thing
Old 05-04-2012, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by tdabboud
So I was driving down to a meet last sunday, as I was sitting in traffic the car died on me. I turned the car back on and started driving a little and it shut off again as I was driving.

I stopped the car and tried to turn it on and nothing happened, so I got out and fidgeted with the battery terminals and I came back and it started right up. It ended up dying 3 more times like this, each time fidgeting with the battery made it start again.

So long story short I took the car to NTB (luckily I made it there), and today (thurs.) they called and said they took the car out and there was nothing wrong with it. They said it started right up and drove perfectly fine.

Now I know there is something wrong here as the car would not die multiple times and nothing be wrong.

My assumption was that the alternator was shot, and needs replacing but I am just not sure anymore.

I am going to pick it up tomorrow. Do you guys think it is safe to drive it about 15 miles back to my apartment? I am lost on what I should do.

The NTB is in Bowie, MD and I have to get back to College Park, MD for the locals around here.
If the alty is bad, your battery will keep on dying. Fuel filter and/or pump. Check your fuel pressure. How're the battery terminals looking?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Laevateinn
If the alty is bad, your battery will keep on dying. Fuel filter and/or pump. Check your fuel pressure. How're the battery terminals looking?
x2!^^^

If the alternator was the issue, you would see a slight change as the accessories slowly dying in the cab...like the radio or lights. This is because the car is eating up all the juice from the battery to help keep the vehicle running. Definitely not good, but does not fit the description of your issue.

Check out what Laevateinn has also listed to see if it's an issue, possibly fuses and/or relays!

If I may add, check your grounds! You did mention, everytime you messed with the battery/connections it worked again. Check all cables, any splice will cause corrosion overtime or even check for dirty ends.

V/r,
awsgrayrd.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:37 AM

I see what you guys mean about the alternator, there would have certainly been signs of it. I got the battery checked out and it was in good condition. I also checked the alternator voltage at the battery and its charging fine.

I am now thinking it could be a short around the battery like you guys mentioned, since shaking the battery caused the car to start again.

My positive lead on the battery terminals is somewhat bulky so I tightened that back down and I drove the car back home about 15 miles with no trouble.

**I know the issue has to be electrical, since when the car shut down the dashboard lights would not come on at all. So if it was the fuel pump or fuel related the lights would have still come on.

can the car experience electrical problems like this if it is really hot outside. It only really happened after I drove 60 miles and sat it still traffic. Idk if there is a connection or not
Old 05-06-2012, 02:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

This one is a bit tricky, simply because I'm not able to diagnose it in person. My simple guess would be a fuse, relay, or a short somewhere in a connection.

When you were driving to your meet when you first experienced it, what kind of load were you carrying on the alternator? Is it just a standard battery? Any stereo equipment? Many factors can be the issue!

Best of luck!

V/r,
awsgrayrd.