Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   5th gen 2000 max (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/648061-5th-gen-2000-max.html)

2000Max21 04-08-2012 09:43 PM

5th gen 2000 max

first post and hopin to get some good feedback, basiclly I recently just got a Injen cold air intake and was lookin into investing in an exhaust with the catback system, toss up between

http://www.raceinspired.com/p-10448-...2000-2003.aspx

and

http://www.raceinspired.com/p-554-hk...2000-2003.aspx

already have been on youtube and saw video's for both. was more impressed with the noise from the megan catback exhaust but the video for the hks was pretty s h i t ty quality and couldnt really decide. Lookin for watever exhaust is gonna help with better gas mileage, and sounds better and not like s h i t

deelite 04-08-2012 10:06 PM

Not sure about the HKS becuase I've never had one on my 2000 max but the clips I've heard make it sound nice. I personally have a megan racing muffler and it is one of the cleanest and meanest sounds i've heard for the max. I'm looking into buying a full megan exhaust in the future.Keep in mind that youtube vids dont always do the sound justice lol. Not really sure if theres a big diffrence in mpg between the two but if your looking for better gas mileage an exhaust isnt really the #1 choice. Im at work and my interenet is down at home but ill send you a short clip of what mine sounds like tommorow probably late evening. Its noisy when im pushing it and also on the freeway. I drove to oregon 3 times, montana, and cali this year from Washington state and wasnt annoyed by it and neither were the people with me. In the end no one can really tell you which exhaust except dont buy the cheap crap that sounds like a fart can or cut off your muffler to be loud. It all depends on the sound you like, whether you like 1 or daul tips, and whether or not you want everyone in the neighborhood to know your home or you just want to be noticed when you rev. IMO the look of the daul tip muffler is cleaner then just a one tip on the 5th gen.

2000Max21 04-08-2012 10:22 PM

thanks man yea, i mean i know the intake i got was a good brand and i got a friend whose into imports and such and i know the intake has helped with the gas mileage a slight bit and i know the exhaust will add some more hp which would defeat the purpose since im lookin to help with the gas mileage but i was told awhile back, then read a thread on here that if im lookin to improve gas mileage, getting an exhaust would help a little bit along with the intake which was the first thing i got for my car

deelite 04-08-2012 10:33 PM

From what I've heard intakes don't really do much at least for our maximas since the stock intake is already a great system. Most people report that it just has a cool sound haha. My mechanic who's been working on Nissans for over 20 years told me this when I asked him about buying one.

Look at this link it explains exhuast mpg a little better. Exhaust system and muffler imporvements

2000Max21 04-09-2012 07:40 AM

that link was perfect for my question man,and yea i can notice the differnece with the intake, for the sound and how the car runs now as well, and even before getting the intake i was on this website before and some guy wanted to get his maxima to have like 300hp an a few ppl suggested getting an exhaust system and intake to start, they did agree that maxima isnt likely to get that much hp but atleast give it 50 more hp, including a few more small modifications. but for me atleast for now, i started with the intake, now aftrer reading tht link you posted gonna order the exhaust system prob within the next week, along with getting a new head unit installed this week

Amerikaner83 04-09-2012 07:58 AM

I can vouch for the sound of deelite's max.....its sexay as hell! Mean but not too loud, growly but not too imposing...

I am likely going to go with SR*S catback on my 99...with a Warpspeed Y pipe, when I get around to doing it. Megan catback costs too much $$ for me.

2damax 04-09-2012 08:04 AM

Sooooo the Injen "cold air intake" is maybe the most bashed intake on the org. Without getting into it, it is not a true cold air intake.

I have a megan catback. It sounds pretty good with only a little bit of drone on the highway and up hills. The fitment is almost perfect but I have had to add a couple hangers and I can still hear it sometimes on big bumps.

2000Max21 04-09-2012 08:29 AM

idk about bashed man, from what I know which isnt much but a few of my friends do, one with a gti and the other with a sti, they were tellin me when i was lookin into cold air intakes that Injen was a top brand and couldnt go wrong with it and did you install the megan catback yourself? i got a buddy whose a mechanic whose willing to do it for a some money but was thinkin of doin it myself if its not to much of a hassle

2damax 04-09-2012 08:42 AM

The CAI for those cars and our cars are very different. In our cars the CAI is right behind the radiator if you noticed...not exactly cold air there lol. Just search. Endless threads.

Yes I installed myself with a friend. Rusty bolt removal was the hardest part. Other than that it is putting bolts and gaskets on.

Its not a terrible intake btw. Intakes are minimal and mostly for sound on our cars. I had the injen for 2 years almost.

2000Max21 04-09-2012 09:37 AM

alrite well thanks, all this info was much appreciated,and once i get everything together ill have a few clips and pics of my max soon to come

4thGenTuner 04-09-2012 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 2000Max21 (Post 8431145)
that link was perfect for my question man,and yea i can notice the differnece with the intake, for the sound and how the car runs now as well, and even before getting the intake i was on this website before and some guy wanted to get his maxima to have like 300hp an a few ppl suggested getting an exhaust system and intake to start, they did agree that maxima isnt likely to get that much hp but atleast give it 50 more hp, including a few more small modifications. but for me atleast for now, i started with the intake, now aftrer reading tht link you posted gonna order the exhaust system prob within the next week, along with getting a new head unit installed this week

FYI An intake and catback will not give you 50hp. Maybe 20hp, thats including full headers and a true CAI (fenderwell type)

Galactica 04-09-2012 10:35 AM

For a cheap 50 horse you might as well install NOS...Engine might not last very long though...

Rods03Max619 04-09-2012 11:19 AM

Since those are your 2 choices, I would go with the Megan, its a Full Catback unlike the HKS which is a axle back aka a muffler with a flange....Good Luck...50hp your going to need alot more mods.....:D

Grand_hustle17 04-09-2012 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by 4thGenTuner (Post 8431303)
FYI An intake and catback will not give you 50hp. Maybe 20hp, thats including full headers and a true CAI (fenderwell type)

not even 50 crank HP if you go off how much the lists gains are from manufactures llamf!!!... on a DEK tuned he can get about 25whp from intake n exhaust... more if its a 3"

2000Max21 04-09-2012 12:40 PM

I wasn't sayin I was lookin for 50hp I had read on someone else's forum they were lookin for 300 and some guy responded to him and told him even with a intake and exhaust he would need a few other small modifications just to get 50more hp, I'm just lookin for the better exhaust that's not gonna sound like s h I t and help with the gas mileage even if it's not much

Guess I'll be going with the Megan cat back in a week or so

Nexus67 04-09-2012 04:49 PM

Once you get an exhaust, definitely get a y-pipe or headers...those are gains you can feel w/o question. Not knocking your liking of the Injen, but just know the filter sit behind the rad which isn't good for performance at all. Either way, good luck on your exhaust.:)