5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

NO reverse or first gear HELP (Imma SHOOT this B)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:09 PM

NO reverse or first gear HELP (Imma SHOOT this B)

Ok been having an issue with the transmission for about 4 day now, it sometimes wouldn't shift back down to first gear when I came off the highway, only happened about 3 times in four days. I was able to rev it and it would jerk back into gear.

The transmission isn't showing any signs of slippage between gears or anything like the previous three I have replaced

Now today there is no FIRST or REVERSE GEAR,
first gear moves slightly with high revs but no reverse at all.
and in PARK when I rev it it seem to be hard to rev like its stuck in some gear.

NO CEL light
NO TCS light
NO SLIP light
FLUID is red / not burnt

Transmission has Transgo Shift Kit / Tranny Cooler

If you have valuable info please call me 336.682.6489
Old 06-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Get Off My Lawn

First and reverse are tied together.

I've only seen it one other time (long story short) the flex plate broke. Everything stayed in place, no noise when cranked the starter.

So, for clarity, 2nd, 3rd move the car like normal? Check the fluid line pressure?
Old 06-06-2012, 03:34 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
First and reverse are tied together.

I've only seen it one other time (long story short) the flex plate broke. Everything stayed in place, no noise when cranked the starter.

So, for clarity, 2nd, 3rd move the car like normal? Check the fluid line pressure?

What do you mean the flex plate broke?

I talked to the OP today and the car drives, it just takes off in 2ed gear. So 1st and reverse dont work.

If it was a flex plate / tq converter issue id think it would not really drive at all.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Reason for my asking about other gears. So, it rules out torque conv. and flex plate, and line pressure.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:06 PM

wow, crazy same issue!

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ml#post8501979

subscribing
Old 06-06-2012, 06:18 PM

My friend had this exact issue. He troubleshooted and was about to swap it when it just "magically" started working again. It's still going strong... maybe just a solenoid malfunction?
Old 06-06-2012, 06:21 PM
RR5

Automatic? The FSM has some crazy huge process to get the transmission to diag its internals. It'll point out if something doesn't check out.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:03 PM

Cars has been sitting to hour and cooled off still no change, I was hoping the temp change might initiate something.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:26 PM

Dibs on catback....
Old 06-06-2012, 10:51 PM

Ok trying to perform TCM Self Diagnostic Procedure

Page AT-51 thru AT-53
didnt think I could shift out of PARK to DRIVE without being in the "ON" position but if you do it right the car releases the gear box with being in the ACC position (No dash lights on)

Will be back to it in the morning must be doing a step wrong cause I can't get the AT CHECK LIGHT to flash.

"WILL KEEP POSTING"
Old 06-06-2012, 11:01 PM
RR5

Keep at it, I absoutely HATE those timing procedures. The idle air volume learn one is a PAIN. If you keep getting nothing, try going a tiny bit slower.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:48 AM
Banned

Who worked your VB with the transgo kit i would start there maby. Something is sticking
Old 06-08-2012, 05:56 PM

Ok after a dramatic week of my 4th gen pulley coming apart and my 5.5 gen tranny failure I have had a chance to figure out something. The car seems to be stuck in THIRD gear.
1. Does this mean its in Limp mode and the solenoids are dead?
2. Or is the tranny dead.

Car seems to be in a gear when in park and neutral cause it nudges forward when cranked and when given gas in neutral

Any input befor it goes to the stealership for the CONSULT II diagnosis
Old 06-08-2012, 06:08 PM
RR5

Call transgo and ask for some help. The FSM has a procedure for testing 3rd gear function in the AT-142. Start there.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:35 AM

I have reverse and 1st back! So, i was sitting in the car and i put it in reverse and i gave it a little gas and again it felt like i had my foot on the brake, well i got pissed and pushed the gas donw like 3/4 and all of a sudden BOOOOOM! before i know it im spinning the tires in reverse! ...everything's working again!

...Kinda short lived happiness i talked to SEVERAL shops and a friend that has been doing trannys for 30 years, they all said trannys dont "heal" themselves... i said but but but this is a maxima lol ... so i think im gonna do a rebuild on her
Old 06-09-2012, 02:48 PM
RR5

Get 7-8 quarts of ATF, the transmission oil pan gasket and strainer/filter and do the ATF fluid drain/fill. Also look at the magents in the pan. If there is a TON of material there..something internal is broke. If there isn't much the fluid change might help a little.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:58 PM

Great to hear. Just curious, how many miles do you have on your Max? My car makes a grinding noise in reverse when I push the gas.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:56 PM

Im in NC does anyone know of someone with a CONSULT II around here
Old 06-13-2012, 06:31 PM

hey any luck man?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:30 PM

Yeah gears welded together, and got a boy at nissan thats going to put it in for me for the L O
Old 06-14-2012, 05:22 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by KiNgJaMEs
Yeah gears welded together, and got a boy at nissan thats going to put it in for me for the L O
How does that happen?!
Old 06-14-2012, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
How does that happen?!

if its the same thing i "think" happened to mine its the clutch plates that welded together... thats what i was told anyways!
Old 06-14-2012, 08:08 PM

Yessirr I guess TOO much POWAAA
LOL 4th tranny in 2.5yrs
Old 06-15-2012, 03:25 AM

James you should buy a level 10
Old 06-15-2012, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by KiNgJaMEs
Yessirr I guess TOO much POWAAA
LOL 4th tranny in 2.5yrs
lol and yall were laughing at me for going through trans lol... it wont stop there bro sell me the catback when u had enough or judt do a 6MT swap
Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Br0nz
I have reverse and 1st back! So, i was sitting in the car and i put it in reverse and i gave it a little gas and again it felt like i had my foot on the brake, well i got pissed and pushed the gas donw like 3/4 and all of a sudden BOOOOOM! before i know it im spinning the tires in reverse! ...everything's working again!

...Kinda short lived happiness i talked to SEVERAL shops and a friend that has been doing trannys for 30 years, they all said trannys dont "heal" themselves... i said but but but this is a maxima lol ... so i think im gonna do a rebuild on her
Dude...you rock. You effectively just fixed my tranny. The same happened to me. I was just about to get it towed to the shop, but first, i had to try what you did, AND IT WORKED!!!!

Cripes that was violent though. I held the brake as well just in case she decided to go forward.

Again. Kudos to you, and thank you very much. I am posting this so that others who may have the same issue can try this fix.

So.... Its been half a year. How's your tranny holding up?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by sonicrunch
Dude...you rock. You effectively just fixed my tranny. The same happened to me. I was just about to get it towed to the shop, but first, i had to try what you did, AND IT WORKED!!!!

Cripes that was violent though. I held the brake as well just in case she decided to go forward.

Again. Kudos to you, and thank you very much. I am posting this so that others who may have the same issue can try this fix.

So.... Its been half a year. How's your tranny holding up?

after i did that the tranny seemed weaker i got flare-ups between shifts so i didnt wait for it to fail i swapped my tranny with a VLSD with only 69k on it, i couldnt be happier with VLSD ..that is except $1400 it cost me for tranny new solenoids axle two motor mounts fluid and labor.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:05 AM

Hmmmm. Mine seems fine.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 AM

I had this happen- it was a simple $2 clip that links the shifter to the cable but your issue seems a little more complicated.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by sonicrunch
Hmmmm. Mine seems fine.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 AM

hey maybe you got lucky... if you push it a bit between shifts are your shift points still firm? i got flare-ups but not all the time, i could force it to flare if i stepped on the gas when it wanted to shift. To prevent a failure at a random time i took my time found a replacement tranny and setup a swap, i figured it was inevitable so i did it as maintenance to mitigate future costs.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:08 AM

Update

My tranny has gotten stuck like this two times since my last post.

The latest time I didn't thing I was gonna get it to pop out. I disconnected the drop resistor (so I would have full line pressure ALL the time) and after I got the tyranny fully warmed up, I did a neutral drop into reverse. It worked, but I am not gonna take it to a tranny shop. I'm sure its just a solenoid or something.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 PM
I love lamp.

I can tell you it can easily be more than just a solenoid. I had the same issues until one day, I couldn't 'pop' it out. Parts of the transmission ended up like this.

Name:  implodedtrans_zps11138031.jpg
Views: 2000
Size:  75.6 KB
Old 03-11-2013, 10:40 PM

just out of curiosity do you guys know if the 1st and reverse gear are tied together on a 6th gen maxima 6 speed?
Old 10-19-2013, 10:50 AM

update,

tranny still works, but will occasionally do this sticking thing. It seemed to happen less as spring and summer came, so I assumed it would happen more frequently once it got cold.

Hence, I have retired my '98. She still runs and drives fine. I'm keeping it as a backup car.

Purchased a 2011 Max SV w/sport package. Finally Nissan has made a max worth owning again.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:34 PM

2000 Maxima
I had the same problem as you all and did the revup in reverse and the engine was reluctant to get over 2000 RPM but at about 3/4 throttle it got close to 3000 RPM and then WOMP it went into reverse and lurched back, I quickly hit the brake to avoid hitting the garage door which was only open a couple of feet to let the exhaust out. Took it for a drive and all seems to be working fine. No SES or O/D light, never was. Not sure how long this will last. Think I will take it in for a tranny oil and filter change just for some piece of mind.

So has anybody found out what causes this problem???
Old 12-10-2014, 02:43 PM

tranny + a transgo kit maybe?
Old 12-12-2014, 09:26 PM

Sounds like a defective solenoid or clutch pack
Old 02-06-2017, 09:43 AM

Sorry for the bump, but I just had this same issue and didn't want to start a new thread.

So for the past month and up until now. I've been having a 2-3 slip. Last night when I got home, I couldn't put the car into reverse and the first gear didn't have any pull unless I throttled it. Checked for SES code and pulled a p0011.

So this morning, I cleaned the ivt solenoid like some members did and put it back, hoping this would solve my problem. Started her up, and still no reverse.

I read that others here had the same problem and in order to get it moving they throttled it about 3/4 while in reverse to get the gear working. I did that and it she launched back a bit and started moving. Reverse and First seems to be working fine now but we all know this may be short lived.

So I ordered a transgo HD2 shift kit on Saturday (just a day before this even happened) for the performance increase. Do you guys think this would fix the reverse/1st gear problem I had too?
Old 02-06-2017, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Itz Shak
Sorry for the bump, but I just had this same issue and didn't want to start a new thread.

So for the past month and up until now. I've been having a 2-3 slip. Last night when I got home, I couldn't put the car into reverse and the first gear didn't have any pull unless I throttled it. Checked for SES code and pulled a p0011.

So this morning, I cleaned the ivt solenoid like some members did and put it back, hoping this would solve my problem. Started her up, and still no reverse.

I read that others here had the same problem and in order to get it moving they throttled it about 3/4 while in reverse to get the gear working. I did that and it she launched back a bit and started moving. Reverse and First seems to be working fine now but we all know this may be short lived.

So I ordered a transgo HD2 shift kit on Saturday (just a day before this even happened) for the performance increase. Do you guys think this would fix the reverse/1st gear problem I had too?

I don't think you should add that to a tranny that is weak already. If your issue was like mine, my tranny was dying. Even if it is not if the 2-3 shifts are weak it probably is a sign you have a lot of wear. Do you know if/when the fluid has been changed? Keeping up with fluid changes should keep shifts nice and crisp.

Does 2-3 clear up once the car is warm and driven for a bit? Does it get worst once it is hot?

I know I'm opening a bag of worms here but I always change the fluid, in my opinion if the tranny is in such bad shape that fresh oil hurts it it was dead already. That like not changing motor oil because you have an oil leak...Doesn't fix the problem.

Quick Reply: NO reverse or first gear HELP (Imma SHOOT this B)