5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

4 codes (P0139, P0138, P1320, P0302)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:35 PM

4 codes (P0139, P0138, P1320, P0302)

Hey Guys

I hope you guys can help me out.

Just this morning I turned on my maxima (2000) and the the engine light came on with the "Slip" and the "TCS" light. I cotuined to drive it and the car started to shake. After pulling over and turning off the car for a few minutes, I started the car backup and the car started to do the same.

After a few minutes the engine light was flashing at this point I turned around and went back home.

Can anyone shed some light on this.

I read the my engine light with my reader and the following codes came back.

P0139 --> This code has been there for a few months now but I still didnt do anythign about it.
P0138
P1320
P0302

What is happening and how much are we talking about?
Is it safe to keep driving the car until I get this fix?

Anyhelp will be great

Thanks guys

Last edited by playtoy; 08-01-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:57 PM

The P1320 and the P0302 codes with the TCS and SLIP lights on are the classic coil crapping out codes. Replace the cyl. 2 coil (the front LH bank one). If there is a lot of miles on the spark plugs now would be a good time to change all of them. Do the coil replacement first and then see if the O2 sensor (rear) codes clear after driving for a few days.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by P. Samson
The P1320 and the P0302 codes with the TCS and SLIP lights on are the classic coil crapping out codes. Replace the cyl. 2 coil (the front LH bank one). If there is a lot of miles on the spark plugs now would be a good time to change all of them. Do the coil replacement first and then see if the O2 sensor (rear) codes clear after driving for a few days.
Thanks for the reply P.Samson.

How bad would it be if I contuine to drive the car? Lets say if I get it fix this week would it be ok if I drive the car till then? Would I cause any problems doing it?

Thanks
Old 08-03-2010, 05:55 AM

If your car is NOT driving good, it is bad idea to drive like that. You have missfire on cylinder #2 and that can destroy catalytic converter quickly apart from other damage to the engine. As P.Samson said, get the coil replaced (and may be plugs too) as soon as you can. You are also lucky that this is the front passenger side coil which is lot easier to change than the ones in the back. All you need is metric hex key set to remove the pastic Nissan Maxima cover, 10mm socket wrench to remove the coil and nice powerful thumb (or flat blade screwdriver) to release the latch on the connector to the coil. It is literally one minute job once you figure out how the connector unlatches. It is somewhat counter intuitive but you will get it.

If the car runs OK (and only occasionally missfires) it is OK to wait.

- Vikas

The front coil is $63 at Advance Auto BWD Ignition Coil Part No. E393
Use coupon code "ES123" without quotes to get $20 off and select local pick up
from nearby store. Trust me, that is a great price on the coil.

Last edited by sontakke; 08-03-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by sontakke
If your car is NOT driving good, it is bad idea to drive like that. You have missfire on cylinder #2 and that can destroy catalytic converter quickly apart from other damage to the engine. As P.Samson said, get the coil replaced (and may be plugs too) as soon as you can. You are also lucky that this is the front passenger side coil which is lot easier to change than the ones in the back. All you need is metric hex key set to remove the pastic Nissan Maxima cover, 10mm socket wrench to remove the coil and nice powerful thumb (or flat blade screwdriver) to release the latch on the connector to the coil. It is literally one minute job once you figure out how the connector unlatches. It is somewhat counter intuitive but you will get it.

If the car runs OK (and only occasionally missfires) it is OK to wait.

- Vikas

The front coil is $63 at Advance Auto BWD Ignition Coil Part No. E393
Use coupon code "ES123" without quotes to get $20 off and select local pick up
from nearby store. Trust me, that is a great price on the coil.
This is great info man thanks alot

I checked out Advance Auto (online) and they do have them in stock. Is there any other cheap place that I can order them online within Canada?

At $43 a pop you cant go wrong, if worse comes to worse I can get my father who lives in the states to go pick them up for me.

Question, I added all 6 to checkout and they only giving me $30 dollar off, what is stoping me from doing 6 different orders? The coupon would still work no?

Also I want to replace my 02 sensor (02 Signal Bank 1) can you let me know the part number as I wasnt sure which one would work.

Oh btw, I called Nissan today and they wanted $115 a coil and $155 for the 02 sensor; are these guys insane like wow.

Thanks alot man
Old 08-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi, I have a similar problem with an 02 Maxima GLE. TCS & Slip Light came on while trying to pass, started bucking (didn't pass). Grounded pin 9 today at Auto Value Auto Parts today, SLIP blinked code 87. Auto Value didn't know what that code was for. Do any of you know? Thanks.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:13 PM

playtoy........the O2 sensor code does not mean that the O2 sensor is necessarily the problem. There can be other reasons for the O2 sensor codes.......fuel delivery issues, intake air leaks etc. When the engine misses like your's has been doing it dumps unburned fuel into the exhaust stream, as well as the unused oxygen from the misfire. The cats don't like the raw fuel but they also are only designed to handle so much O2 and the extra O2 may be the cause for the sensor code/s. As I suggested, just change the coil first and then drive the car for few days (do not disconnect the battery power after replacing the coil). Once you prove that the coil has fixed the misfire issue and if the SES light has not gone out then you could "reset" the ECM by disconnecting the battery power (Ign. sw must be OFF) for a few seconds and then reconnecting it. Then see if the SES light stays off or comes back on after more driving.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:39 AM

You can (or could have made) multiple orders at Advance Auto, although some stores might start giving you trouble when you go to pick up. I was hassled little bit when he saw $30 off on $90 item. I have a feeling if I had multiple orders, he would have made a scene. But my son was not given any hassle as he walked to the other salesperson.

Try BIG30, BIG25, USE, ES123 codes. One of them should work.

Right now, just buy a single coil. You can start accumulating more as time goes on and you find deals. If you pick up different AAP stores and pay by PayPal, you should have no trouble using the codes multiple times (assuming they have not expired! )

As P.Sampson, said do not buy the O2 sensor at this time.

- Vikas

Last edited by sontakke; 08-05-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by P. Samson
playtoy........the O2 sensor code does not mean that the O2 sensor is necessarily the problem. There can be other reasons for the O2 sensor codes.......fuel delivery issues, intake air leaks etc. When the engine misses like your's has been doing it dumps unburned fuel into the exhaust stream, as well as the unused oxygen from the misfire. The cats don't like the raw fuel but they also are only designed to handle so much O2 and the extra O2 may be the cause for the sensor code/s. As I suggested, just change the coil first and then drive the car for few days (do not disconnect the battery power after replacing the coil). Once you prove that the coil has fixed the misfire issue and if the SES light has not gone out then you could "reset" the ECM by disconnecting the battery power (Ign. sw must be OFF) for a few seconds and then reconnecting it. Then see if the SES light stays off or comes back on after more driving.
Makes 100 percent sense now.

Thanks for the info P.

I will replace the coil and let it run for a few days and as suggested I will delete the code with my reader if it doesnt go away after a few days. However as of now the SLIP and TCS are now gone but I am still getting the codes.

I will keep the post updated just in case anyone else has the same issue later down the road.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2010, 07:38 PM

You can (or could have made) multiple orders at Advance Auto, although some stores might start giving you trouble when you go to pick up. I was hassled little bit when he saw $30 off on $90 item. I have a feeling if I had multiple orders, he would have made a scene. But my son was not given any hassle as he walked to the other salesperson.

Try BIG30, BIG25, USE, ES123 codes. One of them should work.

Right now, just buy a single coil. You can start accumulating more as time goes on and you find deals. If you pick up different AAP stores and pay by PayPal, you should have no trouble using the codes multiple times (assuming they have not expired! )

As P.Sampson, said do not buy the O2 sensor at this time.

- Vikas
Yea I also figured they would get mad but again its not our problem they should fix their bug in the system lol.

Alright it looks like I will order 1 and give that a try.

Question
Is the front and the rear coil the same coil? The part number you gave me, can it also be used as the rear coil?

I know my issue is with my front coil but just for knowledge purpose.

Thanks Vikas
Old 08-08-2010, 05:09 PM

No, front and rears ARE different.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:14 AM

No, front and rears ARE different.
Hey sontakke

So I got the replacement coils, I picked up 2, one for the replacement and 1 as spare.

Is there a guide somewhere to show me where the front coils are and how to replace them.

I am pretty sure it cant be that hard on a maxima gle 2000.

I also picked up replacement spark plugs so I can change all three in the front.

Do I just have to remove the "NISSAN" silver plate which I believe are the 3 bolts and the front three coils are located there?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of before I tackle this? What other things to change and what not.

Thank You Kindly
Old 08-17-2010, 06:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2076435/5
Old 08-17-2010, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Wow just amazing.

Thanks alot man you just made my day.

Quick question
I cant remember if the new coil has the grey dot or not. What does that mean again? Is it bad if it doesnt have it? Would it just mean it will die faster.

Thanks again man

This maxima forum is one of the greatest.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

The "grey dot" coils were supposed to be the 'updated' ones.

Updated from 99-00, and well, that was a LONG time ago, so if you bought them within at least the last few years, I think you should be fine.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:07 PM

***MY RESULT***

Work Order:
Changed 1 of the coil (far left front coil)
Changed all 3 spark plugs (Front)

Before I went ahead and changed the coil that I thought was dead I left the car on and unpluged them one by one and they all seemed to affect the engine as I was detaching them one by one. So that means non of them are bad correct?

In any event, I went ahead and changed the far front left coil followed with the replacement of the 3 spark plugs for each coil. I cleared all codes after driving around it seemed a lot better but after 10 mins or so the engine light came on and "TCS" and "SLIP" light came back but car was still running ok. However this time it was giving only one of the codes which is P1320 and not the other 3 codes.

I went ahead and cleard it one more time and we shall see if it acts up again. How many days should I drive it to find out if the issue has been resolved?

I am really suprised that when I took out all the front coils it had affected the engine as I was sure that one of them at least was dead.

Could it just have been a bad sprak plug?

In any event I changed one of the coil and all three spark plugs.

Any idea and thoughts.

Thanks again

P.S "NmexMAX" Thanks again for the guide it was pretty simple to be honest after looking at the guide of course
Old 06-14-2011, 04:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

And what could be the problem if my car after i drive it about 10 miles the engine light came on and when i checked it whit the reader gave me P0139, P0138 codes, what could be the problem?, how can i fix it?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:46 PM

Trying to order coils... looking at rock auto... What side is Left and what side is Right?? Looking at different sites of diagrams and all I get is Front and Rear!! WTF??