5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cylinder 5 Misfire, possible fuel injector problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 01:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cylinder 5 Misfire, possible fuel injector problem?

Hi.

I have an european Maxima a33, but it should be very similar with the american version, so I thought I would ask for your help here.

I don't have that much knowledge of mechanics and cars, I manage to change my air filter and cabin air filter, maybe oil in the future

Car info: 2000. 2.0 l V6, manual gearbox, about 40k miles(66000km) on it(correct reading, car was quite unused for a longer period years ago.)

My check engine light came on like less than a year ago, and it read Cylinder 5 Misfire, the mechanican also said that the spark plugs were in bad condition and should be replaced. This seemed odd, as the spark plugs should have lasted for a lot more time. (I don't know how bad were they, maybe the guy was trying to bull**** some money out of me) Anyways, I had them changed at another place.

Months before the check engine light had come on, I had noticed that sometimes when taking a turn or coasting in neutral, the car shut down. But it happened very rarely, so I didn't do anything about it.

Few months later I started to have problems with starting the car with warm motor(no problem with cold engine), RPMs would fluctuate very low, sometimes it shuts down, if I won't push the gas pedal a bit.

I have also noticed that the fuel economy is not that good, but this could also be due to some other small problem.

Then I got the check engine light again (about 6k miles after changing the spark plugs) I visited a mechanic service(different this time). It was the same- cylinder 5 misfire. They swapped the 5th and some other (think it was the first) ignition coil with each other in order to see if the coil is faulty, or is it something else.

But the check engine light hasn't come on yet with the 1k miles I have driven since and I don't want to just sit around, so I looked it up a bit and these symptoms(the car is sometimes stalling at neutral or the RPM's go down very low and then up again, hard start with warm engine, increased fuel consumption) seem to fit well with the description of problematic fuel injector.

Haven't noticed any hesitation or problems with acceleration. (only the second time when the misfire occurred)

What do you people think, should I let someone check the fuel injectors or the same symptoms might easily apply to coil problems, some wire or connection problem?

Also, if I currently don't have that much money( don't know what checking and cleaning or replacing them might cost) can I have only the one connected with the 5h cylinder replaced or cleaned?

Thank you very much, if you went through the trouble to read my post!

Last edited by European; 11-13-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:51 AM

we don't have the 2.0 liter engine here. But coils are a common issue. keep driving and if you get a code again for a cylinder, replace that coil.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:10 AM

I do not think that you have a fuel injector problem because that would make the engine "miss" meaning that a cylinder does not fire. That would make the engine shake and run rough. Try having the throttle body and throttle plate cleaned, this could cause the idle problem.