5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Pics and info of Factory Double DIN replacements

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:43 PM

Pics and info of Factory Double DIN replacements

CD player doesn't work on my HU in my 02, and I've been looking to replace it, but can't decide what to replace it with. Definitely want double DIN to fill the entire space, but I'd love to keep the factory look. Just wondering if anyone here is using a factory Nissan or Infiniti Double DIN radio from a newer model or other model and, if so, can you post pictures and info on it. Would love to see them.

-Nathan
Old 11-26-2012, 02:49 PM

Google. Click Images. Search.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0013_large.jpg
Old 11-26-2012, 07:05 PM

I don't know of anyone using factory radios from other models. My guess would be no. The wiring harness' are usually different and Nissan likes to use unusual sizes for their head units. I also wanted to keep to the factory look as much as possible when replacing my Bose head unit. All of the Single DIN stereos I found were much to flashy for me with all of the crazy LEDs and such. That's why I decided on a simple Double DIN touch screen. This is my Double DIN install.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:10 PM

What is that deck from? Pioneer , but displays nissan? Confused.....
Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 PM

It's a Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH. The display is just a boot screen. You can change what it displays on boot up in the settings. That screen was made by a Nissan fan on the AVIC411 forum.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:22 PM

nice looking fit! you happy with the install?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 PM

I am very happy with the install. I ended up going with the Scosche install kit because I couldn't get it even close to lining up with the factory brackets. If you look close you will see a very small gap between the bottom of the adapter and the climate controls. It annoys me some but nobody's ever noticed it but me.I may try to get it to line up a little bit better one of these days. It's just such a small gap that I never bothered.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:24 AM

That looks fantastic! Very nice. The boot screen is an awesome touch as well. I've heard of people using pathfinder 6 disc systems, and the like, but I haven't been able to find any info for 5 and 5.5's. I've only seen it done on 4th gens.

In my past 4 cars I have used an alpine single din and I love it, but it is a bit flashy, so I want something simple, factory looking, but I don't want to give up too much quality. I've found several aftermarket stereos that I liked, and I still have ruled out going with a carpc, but I was curious as to whether or not a factory Nissan unit could be used beside the factory one.

Very impressive setup rebelhell!
Old 12-02-2012, 01:45 AM

I looked at some fourth gen pics and I can see how that's possible. They have what looks to be a fairly standard size double DIN stereo. The fifth gen is different in that the stereo takes up the entire center of the console. If you look at my pic you'll the grey trim piece that goes around the Pioneer stereo is a slightly different color. The factory stereo is that size and wraps around the edge a bit. See how the face plate is MUCH larger than the actual stereo? I don't know of any other Nissan stereos that would come close to fitting that profile.

Last edited by rebelhell; 12-02-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:55 PM

Yea that's what I was curious about. Wasn't sure if there was another Nissan that had a superior audio unit came close to the design of the 5th gen. I figured it was a shot in the dark, but wanted to see if anyone had anything. Glad I did too, cause your setup has inspired me. Not going the same route as you but it gave me an idea that I'm now juggling around and determining details for. Thanks for the input mate. And props on your very clean setup.

-Nathan
Old 12-03-2012, 01:04 AM

And what idea would that be? Might be able to help you out some.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:04 PM

heres a video of my Pioneer AVH-3300BT in the Max hooked up to stock bose speaker/amp.

Sound is clipping on the video because the bass is too much for my S2's mics. Sound of the audio out of the stock speakers is really good.

Edit: I picked the pioneer because I stick in my 32GB SD card and have all my music and videos on it! I haven't put a disc into this unit yet. Also has bluetooth and sound is pretty good. I have the mic wired into the gauge areas.

Edit 2 : Forgot the link http://youtu.be/xsQ69AZ98c8

Last edited by mau108; 12-03-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by rebelhell
And what idea would that be? Might be able to help you out some.
Plan is to implement an android tablet into the dashboard while still allowing the sound to go through the speakers as normal. Tablets are so much less expensive than in dash nav systems or other head units and they do everything that an in dash unit does and then some. The trick really would lie in how to mount it properly. Trying to do a little research and see if I can modify something to work real well to hold it in an allow it to sit relatively flush.

If it can be achieved in a really clean manner, I think it is by far and away the best possible option as far as versatility is concerned. Sound quality will be interesting to evaluate though. I imagine it will suffer a bit, but how much will be interesting to see.

-Nathan
Old 12-04-2012, 03:38 AM

^look at the tesla model S interior for a general idea of how it would look(really big tablet)
Old 12-04-2012, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by dfj240
Plan is to implement an android tablet into the dashboard while still allowing the sound to go through the speakers as normal. Tablets are so much less expensive than in dash nav systems or other head units and they do everything that an in dash unit does and then some. The trick really would lie in how to mount it properly. Trying to do a little research and see if I can modify something to work real well to hold it in an allow it to sit relatively flush.

If it can be achieved in a really clean manner, I think it is by far and away the best possible option as far as versatility is concerned. Sound quality will be interesting to evaluate though. I imagine it will suffer a bit, but how much will be interesting to see.

-Nathan
Man that is a great idea! The whole tablet thing I mean.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 AM

it would be sweet to see a tablet intergrated in. I thought about doing something similar for a while but it'd be awesome to see it come to fruition in some form.

Basically one big screen in that area would be so awesome.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:30 AM

I've seen the tablet integration done on a TL. I beleive they used an Acer 7" tablet. I wanted to try this on my TL but its just too much work.

It may be easier on the Max as the radio only has one function vs the TL where you can control a lot more on the factory touch screen.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:39 AM

http://bit.ly/VwPooS

Some look okay, others are downright frightening. Something that would definitely have to take a lot of custom work from someone who can fabricate parts.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:33 PM

There have been quite a lot of in-dash tablets put into cars, but none in a 5 or 5.5 Maxima so far. The main thing is how best to mount the tablet in the dash. I measured the DIN opening on the Max and it is just about perfect for housing a 7 inch tablet, but I'm not sure exactly what method to use to mount it. First thing I'll try is to use a Metra or Scosche Double DIN kit and see if I can make small, simple modifications to it to accommodate securing a tablet in there.

The other thing I'm not sure about is heat. Being in Texas and Louisiana where summers are over 100 just about every day for several months, I'm not sure how well the tablet will hold up when exposed to that heat when the car is parked for a significant period of time. I suppose it would be possible to wire up a small fan and place it behind the tablet with a switch that can be turned on if I'm going to leave the car out in the heat, and then turn it off overnight.

As far as wiring is concerned there should be nothing to it. 3.5mm to RCA cable into a 4-channel amp, and then wired back behind the dash directly back to the speakers. Done and done. I'm thinking I may even get a 5-channel and drop in a sub while I'm at it, but I may wait until I've worked out any kinks if I end up undertaking this.

When it all comes down to it though, the mounting is going to be the real trick and whether there will be enough room left over after setting the tablet to landscape to plug in the headphone jack and charge cord. It will probably be pretty tight in there and I don't want to crimp any wiring.

There was a company that dropped an iPad into a 6th gen, but it wasn't replacing the factory stereo, it was simply a custom built in docking station at the top of the dashboard in the center, other than that haven't seen one on a Maxima.

Sorry for the long post.

-Nathan
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 AM

Double DIN opening specs are 7.2" x 4.22". Should easily be able to get a 7" tablet to mount in there. Maybe modify the Scocshe or Metra adapter to hinge at the bottom. Then it could be opened to allow you to slide a tablet in and out of the back. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is a Jelly Bean Tablet, which means it supports audio out via USB. With a modified docking port you could have charging and audio out with a single connector. Upside to an install like this is you could remove the tablet and take it with you to prevent theft or damage from the heat.

It would be a lot of work and would definitely take some ingenuity but it would be epic if you could pull something like that off.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:10 AM

Yea, I'm going to be keeping my eyes on the pricing of the new Asus Nexus 7 4G tablet. It's starting price point is $300, and it's Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, and is loaded, especially for the price. This will probably have to happen after Christmas sometime since I have to buy presents for kids, family, etc..

I like the hinge idea. That's brilliant. Working out how to make it work while still retaining rigidity will probably take a bit of a feat of engineering, but I love the idea. Might be able to get a docking station to mount in there to so I wouldn't have to try to fish out a wire to plug it back up. A lot of different ideas to toss around. What I'll probably end up doing if I decide to do it is go simple to start with and then try to expand on the engineering and implementing the clever bits. Should be a fun project though.

-Nathan
Old 12-05-2012, 01:20 AM

I wish you all the luck. I'm going to subscribe to this thread. I hope you come back to post a build log and some photos. Or even just to toss some ideas around. Sounds like a blast.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 PM

Yea, thanks man, if I do it, I'll document the whole thing so that everyone can see whether it's something they want to undertake, because I really think it's the hands-down best option for an in-dash unit. I'm subscribed to this as well, so if any ideas pop in your head post them up.

-Nathan
Old 02-12-2018, 07:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by rebelhell
I don't know of anyone using factory radios from other models. My guess would be no. The wiring harness' are usually different and Nissan likes to use unusual sizes for their head units. I also wanted to keep to the factory look as much as possible when replacing my Bose head unit. All of the Single DIN stereos I found were much to flashy for me with all of the crazy LEDs and such. That's why I decided on a simple Double DIN touch screen. This is my Double DIN install.
What size is your head unit and where did you get the dash kit from?
Old 02-12-2018, 09:21 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

5 Year thread..... I don't think he is here anymore..... Try the audio section.....
Old 02-13-2018, 08:41 PM

If you search, you will find that people have used the Bose units from the Pathfinder, circa 2008. For one thing, they were not made by Clarion, I think it was Pioneer.