5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sunroof can not close completely

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 05:58 AM

Sunroof can not close completely

At the moment the sunroof tilt switch and slide techincally perform, but the sunroof cannot slide open more than 20% and it cannot close 100%. It is like 95% closed. It can not tilt at all since it cannot get past the %100 closed position.

Quick background - So driving around yesterday and the sunroof randomly opened, i closed it and thought nothing of it. This morning the sunroof randomly opened again, this time I can not close it with normal operation.

I have done the reset operation by holding the tilt button over 10 secs over and over, in all available positions.

I unplugged the battery for 20 mins, and repeated the reset operation with no success.

I have done the reset operation a few times over the years so I am pretty sure I am doing it right.

What's next? I just want to close this thing.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...oof-close.html
I found this thread, but am confused on the step 5. Pull down the motor and then what? Seems excessive... since the motor is techincally working but it its getting held up ??!!

Thanks in advance
Old 04-30-2013, 09:07 AM

In step 5 after pulling the motor down so the gear is not making contact, he manually moves the sunroof glass to a closed position as best he could. Then he presses the switch for the sunroof to see if the motor works before re-installing the motor. Once the motor is re-installed, he tries to close the sunroof all the way.

As I read the read the thread that you gave the link to, that thread linked to another thread, which linked to a 3rd thread (http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...tuck-open.html). In that thread, the op said his problem was due to the sunroof glass not sliding smoothly. He lubricated it and the sunroof worked fine afterwards. To me it was a bit of a horror story because he took the entire sunroof assembly out of the car. I'm not sure if he really needed to do that in order to lube it, though.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:10 AM

If it's opening on it's own, sounds like a bad switch.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:30 PM

i wonder if the 2000-2001 relay unplug works for the 2002-2003 ?

I took that motor off and didn't really get any progress doing that, its literally not closed by about a 1/2" its really bugging me now.

Only thing I can think of is something is in the track prohibiting it from closing???
or I noticed towards the back (center of roof) that when it is almost closed that it is out of alignment from side to side... in otherwords the long rear end of the glass is not plumb with the roof....

Someone on the org has to have had this problem before.

Sunroof motor works, switches work, it just literally gets stuck at 95% closing, and can not open more than 20%
Old 04-30-2013, 04:02 PM

i tried the 2000-2001 relay reset anyway and still nothing.

If I had to guess something is physically holding it up from opening past 20% and closing past 95%

What's next?

I used some shims (91429) back in the day to get rid of noise if the sun shade was open and the glass was closed, i wonder if those sims.... messed something up.

What a PITA
LINKS/PICS FOR REFERENCE

http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...2070_2084.html
Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 AM

Im not sure I got the first post, did you get the sunroof to close (even just for a minute) using the reset procedure or not? You cannot get the reset to work properly without the sunroof being all the way closed, so you have to use the tilt button to get it closed and then start the relearn. If thats what you did, then...carry on
Old 05-01-2013, 09:47 AM

no i have not been able to completely close the sun roof, and that is the problem with not being able to electronically reset it.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:45 PM

did you use the force close method with the tilt button? I cant find the method on here, but essentially you just hold the sunroof tilt up (or tilt down, cant remember) for a couple seconds and the sunroof will begin to move. Repeat until fully closed and then do the relearn.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 AM

thanks for the suggestion, thought that's not quite what was wrong. It physically was getting held up.

So we were able to take out the glass yesterday without doing the interior headliner removal etc. That saved a lot of time by the way. The first thing we found was the black metal piece (left of pics) held in with a screw on the pass side was loose and not in the proper position. Aligned that & tightened that down. Still acted up (remember no glass is on at this point just inspecting operation w no glass). Then we noticed there is a little white plastic clip (right of pics) missing on the passenger side. With out that retainer clip the sunroof couldnt get past the point with out popping out of track. At this point we were concerned we couldn't do anything else with out this little plastic clip. Well due to the fact the clip was missing it bent the metal up at that point. We took a flat head and beat it back to a straight orientation. With no glass on the operation was ok, and could completely close tilt etc. We reinstalled the glass and it worked like a charm.

Cliffs the problem was a result of 2 things. You need to make sure black triangular ridge clips in the track need to be aligned with the track and tightened down. Second you need to inspect the white plastic clips towards the middle of the track and see if they are there or missing. If one or two of them are missing make sure all the metal in the white clip area is straight and narrow and not bent from missing the white guide clip