5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

what does this picture infer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:53 PM

what does this picture infer?

OK, I got my NGK laser iridium spark plugs. I don't quite get the meaning of the middle picture on box as showed here. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:09 PM

Basically once you hand tighten the plugs and the plug's crush gasket just touches the metal on the head, you only need to tighten the plug another 1/2 to 2/3rds of a turn to achieve proper torque. You'll feel it in the wrench when the gasket crushes completely and shouldn't be tightened anymore. It's the same concept as tightening an oil filter, and many filters have the same instructions printed on them.

Last edited by 02pearlmax; 07-01-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:09 PM

I think that's how far you turn it after it's tight...depending on which physical plugs you have
Old 07-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

picture of plug on left in photo 2, shows how much to tighten for plugs without crush gasket.

Picture of plug on right shows how much to tighten with crush gasket.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:36 PM

Thanks guys, you guys are awesome!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:44 PM

dont need to follow those instructions anyways, just put spark plugs snug with a regular ratchet. dont ream them in with a air gun or something

and yes, i do know a guy that did once
Old 07-01-2013, 07:57 PM

I just torque them according to the FSM....
Old 07-02-2013, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by rebelhell
I just torque them according to the FSM....
I do the same.
But many people don't have a torque wrench, in which case you just follow the directions on the box or just know the standard directions for plugs -- hand tighten, then turn 1/2 to 2/3 of a full rotation and done.

Make sure not to over-tighten, but also you don't want them not tight enough as it can cause misfiring. And BTW, I bought this spark plug wrench extension off Amazon, it's like the most popular one, it's really worth it and is simply AWESOME. Does the job better than anything else I've EVER used before on spark plugs, easily a great $10 investment.

Don't forget to gap those plugs to .044, they DO NOT come pre-gapped from the factory (I have the same exact plugs, done a few weeks ago).
Old 07-02-2013, 06:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sorry to be the grammar **** but pictures don't infer anything. People infer. The picture could imply something though.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
I do the same.
But many people don't have a torque wrench, in which case you just follow the directions on the box or just know the standard directions for plugs -- hand tighten, then turn 1/2 to 2/3 of a full rotation and done.

Make sure not to over-tighten, but also you don't want them not tight enough as it can cause misfiring. And BTW, I bought this spark plug wrench extension off Amazon, it's like the most popular one, it's really worth it and is simply AWESOME. Does the job better than anything else I've EVER used before on spark plugs, easily a great $10 investment.

Don't forget to gap those plugs to .044, they DO NOT come pre-gapped from the factory (I have the same exact plugs, done a few weeks ago).
My plugs were pregapped properly when I double checked them.

Do you have a link to the spark plug wrench extension?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:29 AM

Here is the spark plug socket extension link:
GearWrench 80546 5/8-Inch x 6-Inch Swivel Spark Plug Socket - Amazon.com GearWrench 80546 5/8-Inch x 6-Inch Swivel Spark Plug Socket - Amazon.com

I bought mine for $10 though instead of $14, it was on sale. Just look around and find one. I think the regular parts stores (AutoZone/Advanced) might sell the same or similar item, but I don't know for sure + their prices are usually way high.

And as for the gap, the box will say .044 but it's not already at .044" for the NGK Iridium plugs anyway. Other plugs may be different and some do come pre-gapped but I know for sure the NGK Iridium ones for our cars (BKR5EIX-11) are definitely NOT pre-gapped and must be gapped (that's 100% for sure). Unless, you bought used plugs
Old 07-02-2013, 07:36 AM
dot dot dot ...

Every NGK I've purchased has come pre-gapped. Never touched them, been doing plugs since 2000 on VQ's. That's what the 11 is in the name, 1.1mm gap.

But, here we go again with another spark plug thread, etc.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:04 AM

Uhh, what do you think the upper right picture is implying if not "do not gap these, we did it for you"?

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Every NGK I've purchased has come pre-gapped. Never touched them, been doing plugs since 2000 on VQ's. That's what the 11 is in the name, 1.1mm gap.
Yeah, but this 'Murika, 'n' we use inches and we gap our plugs! And we imply that our pictures can infer, too!

Originally Posted by Max_Gator
Sorry to be the grammar ****, but pictures don't infer anything. People infer. The picture could imply something, though.

Nice - I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one fed up by the rapidly declining grammar skills!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by tcb_02_max
Uhh, what do you think the upper right picture is implying if not "do not gap these, we did it for you"
it means dont pry on the tip to open up the gap. you still have to gap them, but just like with all other plug types you should pry only on the grounding "arm" to open up the gap.

Originally Posted by NmexMAX

But, here we go again with another spark plug thread, etc.
Ive always gapped them, ever since I thought one looked a little funky and turns out it clocked in at 1.5mm . That hasnt been the only one I found to be not particularly close

Last edited by Gemner; 07-02-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:04 PM

Old 07-02-2013, 05:59 PM

ive replaced spark plugs on dozens of kinds of vehicles and have never gaped them
Old 07-02-2013, 08:21 PM

im not sure I understand why not gapping plugs is a good thing you dont gain anything except maybe 10 minutes total, completely pointless risk to take considering that there is no risk in gapping them
Old 07-02-2013, 09:17 PM

While checking the gap is a no brainer, I've never actually had to gap an NGK spark plug. They've just always been right. And gapping a delicate iridium plug, if you aren't extremely careful, can ruin the electrode or insulator. So there is SOME risk.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:36 PM

OK,guys. I found this note on Haynes manual:

"On 2000 and later models, the manufacturer suggests that checking and adjusting the spark plug gap is no longer necessary"

I actually measured this IFR5E-11 spark plug, its gap ? 1.1 mm.

Also on Haynes manual, specification section, it says:

"1995 - 2001 engines, gap: 1.1 mm "

I hope this would bring an end to this gapping discussion.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:43 AM

Gentlemen, let me attempt to really put an end to this hopefully. Found this useful piece on the official NGK website and copied for you guys:

"Since the gap size has a direct affect on the spark plug's tip temperature
and on the voltage necessary to ionize (light) the air/fuel mixture, careful attention is required. While it is a popular misconception that plugs are pre-gapped from the factory, the fact remains that the gap must be adjusted for the vehicle that the spark plug is intended for. Those with modified engines must remember that a modified engine with higher compression or forced induction will typically require a smaller gap settings (to ensure ignitability
in these denser air/fuel mixtures). As a rule, the more power you are making, the smaller the gap you will need.
"

So long story short, not only should you just check the gap to make sure it's correct. It's also a good idea to adjust it accordingly with your mods especially if you've got forced induction.

BTW, forgetting the Haynes manual for a moment. Our FSM says to gap the plugs at .043" instead of .044" just FYI.
Now, the NGK plugs should still be gapped at .044" but just saying, all plugs are different and gap should be checked according to FSM + what the spark plugs say on them + adjusted to your needs if you have mods.

Mine are at .043" w/ NGK instead of .044 and they work better that way on my particular car w/ my mods (my timing is advanced across the board). Just saying. And hopefully this can be put to rest.

So I would suggest that it's a bad idea and bad advice to tell people not to check their plug gap.
Frankly, I wouldn't take some of your guys advice on buying a sandwich for lunch.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 AM

Mine are at .043" w/ NGK instead of .044 and they work better that way on my particular car w/ my mods (my timing is advanced across the board). Just saying. And hopefully this can be put to rest.

So I would suggest that it's a bad idea and bad advice to tell people not to check their plug gap.
Frankly, I wouldn't take some of your guys advice on buying a sandwich for lunch.
0.043' = 1.1mm. So on our 5th Gen Max, NGK xx-11 gap is just fine.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

I always check my plugs and sometimes find the need to gap them because they are off.

Sooo....if a plug says "Do not gap" or shows you a picture to "not gap" what do you do when you find they are out of spec? Take it back to the store and replace it? Yeah...that sounds fun when you are doing work on the only vehicle you have, or if you ordered the plugs online.

Just use the proper spark plug gap tool and you'll be fine.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:31 PM

From NGK Website FAQ:
Q: Do I need to set the "gap" when installing a new set of plugs?

A: Maybe. A spark plug part number might fit hundreds of different engines from many different manufacturers. Although the NGK factory will set the gap to a pre-selected setting, this may not be the right gap for your particular engine. The incorrect plug gap for your engine can contribute to a high rate of misfires, loss of power, plug fouling, poor fuel economy, and accelerated plug wear. It is always best to check the gap against the manufacturer's specifications. If adjusting the gap on fine wire or precious metal plugs such as platinum or iridium be very careful not to apply any pressure or prying force to the fine wire center electrode or insulator as they can be damaged. The gap should be adjusted by only moving the ground electrode.

Another consideration that should be taken into account is the extent of any modifications that you may have made to the engine. As an example, when you raise compression or add forced induction (a turbo system, nitrous or supercharger kit) you must reduce the gap (about .004" for every 50 hp you add). However, when you add a high power ignition system (such as those offered by MSD, Crane, Nology) you can open the gap from .002-.005".
/thread