Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Huge water leak under passenger dashboard (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/672444-huge-water-leak-under-passenger-dashboard.html)

Scott LaRock 11-21-2013 06:47 PM

Huge water leak under passenger dashboard

Big water leak under passenger side dashboard, the whole carpet on the right raise is wet. I did a search on google and found this to be a common thing with our year cars.

How hard and what tools to use to fix? I hear about removing the glovebox.

Rit 11-21-2013 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Scott LaRock (Post 8880205)
Big water leak under passenger side dashboard, the whole carpet on the right raise is wet. I did a search on google and found this to be a common thing with our year cars.

How hard and what tools to use to fix? I hear about removing the glovebox.

If it is just water, and you have a sunroof, then the drain is plugged.

If it contains antifreeze, then it is your heater core, and it is a royal pain in the butt to change. Be prepared to shell out some ca$h if you are not handy. You will have to tear out the whole dashboard to get at the heater core.

carlos505 11-22-2013 01:49 PM

Its your heater core bro, I just had this replaced three days ago, it was a 400 dollar job

Scott LaRock 11-23-2013 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by carlos505 (Post 8880499)
Its your heater core bro, I just had this replaced three days ago, it was a 400 dollar job

It's just water no antifreeze, where is the heTer core on my car?

carlos505 11-23-2013 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Scott LaRock (Post 8880727)
It's just water no antifreeze, where is the heTer core on my car?

Are you sure its only water? Rub your hand on the passenger floor and it will smell like antifreeze, (if you have antifreeze in your system or water) the heater core is behind your dash on the firewall, the only way you could Get to it is by removing your whole dashboard

Scott LaRock 11-28-2013 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by carlos505 (Post 8880756)
Are you sure its only water? Rub your hand on the passenger floor and it will smell like antifreeze, (if you have antifreeze in your system or water) the heater core is behind your dash on the firewall, the only way you could Get to it is by removing your whole dashboard

naw, it's only water....don't smell anything to it.

In other news, I need a full tune up, what do I need to change and what tools you recommend?

Montego Murph 11-29-2013 02:20 PM

Let's not forget that it could be the air conditioner drain. Even if you're not using the A/C now that it's cooler outside, the window defogger uses the air conditioner to dehumidify the air.

For a cheap and easy check, sit on the ground and look up under the dash close to the firewall. YOu'll likely see a rubber hose bent into a 90degree angle going into the firewall. Pull this and see if water comes out. (GENTLY poke something into the nipple from above and see if that sets water free too.)

If you get black slimy goop and lots of water, it's your AC evaporator drain clogged up.

Scott LaRock 12-07-2013 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Montego Murph (Post 8883106)
Let's not forget that it could be the air conditioner drain. Even if you're not using the A/C now that it's cooler outside, the window defogger uses the air conditioner to dehumidify the air.

For a cheap and easy check, sit on the ground and look up under the dash close to the firewall. YOu'll likely see a rubber hose bent into a 90degree angle going into the firewall. Pull this and see if water comes out. (GENTLY poke something into the nipple from above and see if that sets water free too.)

If you get black slimy goop and lots of water, it's your AC evaporator drain clogged up.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2013.12.31.jpg

It's right behind the white container.