5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Windows have a mind of their own?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 03:57 PM

Windows have a mind of their own?

So here in Northern Ohio it's been pretty darn cold, which probably is everywhere right about now. I just noticed today, that my front windows keeping going down on their own after the car is shut off? Can't really tell when it happens, but if I leave it sit and go back within a half hour both windows will be completely down? It's even happened to me right as I would remove the key. Anyone else had this kinda weird problem? I tried to disconnect the battery for a couple seconds to see if it would reset something, but it still happens?
Old 12-13-2013, 04:01 AM

Not sure about this, but it could be either a worn ignition key cylinder or the ignition switch. The windows should not work when the key is turned off, so going down by themselves is really strange.

However, depending on the year of the car, the keyfob remote system could somehow be causing the windows to go down.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:25 AM

Are you sure you are not sitting on your remote. If you hold the unlock button on the remote the windows will go down. Maybe you have kids or something else playing with the remote???
Old 12-13-2013, 06:26 PM

No I'm not doing anything like that, but it is a 2002. Wonder if the remote battery is going bad and causing them to do that.?
Old 12-13-2013, 06:28 PM

And today I was driving and the interior light comes on all by its self? Maybe its haunted, lol?
Old 12-13-2013, 06:41 PM

Try to reset your windows and see if that makes a difference.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:51 PM

The windows and the interior lights can be operated by the SECU module. I don't know how to test the SECU other than trying another one. Problem is that it is an expensive unit. Maybe if you unplug the wires and let it sit for 5 minutes???
Old 12-14-2013, 04:17 AM

SECU is that the main computer of the car? I tried to disconnect the battery but that did nothing. This morning they got me again at work, while it was snowing. I unplugged the window controls on the drivers side to see if that might be a problem. This has to be the strangest thing I've ever encounter as a back yard mechanic.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:29 AM

I was reading some other pages on here and came across a term "Master window switch or relay" I'm wondering if that might be something that is bad also?
Old 12-14-2013, 05:20 AM

My auto up/down + limiter switch went bad and caused my driver window to roll down on it's own once (car was on, key in ignition). Your problem definitely sounds different..

From what I've seen around the web when I was fixing my window, is that your problem has to do with the key fob auto down feature. You can remove the window controls from the door (there is a how to on the forums). You need to find a connector with brown/black wire and unplug it (this controls the auto down feature of the key fob), tape it with electrical tape and get it out of the way. Should fix the issue, apparently. You no longer have the auto down feature of the remote, but no more windows going down on their own.

I do stress that this is what I've seen elsewhere, not a tried and true fix in any way. If anyone can confirm doing this, and especially the color of the wiring on the connector would be great.

Hope that helps at all.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Toolie

My sunroof likes to open by itself on occasion, but never had problems with the windows doing that
Old 12-17-2013, 06:28 PM

After looking around more I'm finding this is happening a lot with nissans. I've tried replacing the key fob battery and cutting the brown/black wire and still happens. It just only happens when it's below freezing that I've noticed.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:13 PM

The SECU is not the main computer of the car, the main computer is the ECU/ECM. SECU stands for Smart Entrance Control Unit. It has it's fingers in most everything that goes on inside of the car.

The master power window switch in the drivers door is a possibility as it is a micro processor controlled unit. If you were to consider a junkyard replacement as an experiment, make sure you get one from the same year car. It is a different, non-interchangeable switch for each year of the 5th gen.

You have a unique problem. What you read about these cars doing is that after you roll the window up, it immediately rolls back down an inch or two, not all the way down.

I'm curious - this brown/black wire that you cut, is it a wire that goes to the power window switch? I don't see it in the schematic.

Last edited by DennisMik; 12-18-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a problem with my sunroofs. It just start opening by itself
Old 12-18-2013, 07:35 PM

You know I wondered if it was just the switches that might need replaced? I have that larger plug, unplugged right now so the windows stay up and I can drive it, but as soon as I plug that in BAM windows down. Now they'll stay up when I'm driving it's only when it sits will they come down. Yes the wire is dominate light brown with black strip. it's the only one I could find that match that color. Funny thing is I cut it and I can still use all the windows and locks with no problems? My first try at replacement parts was going to be that drivers side window switch. It's suppose to get warm here in Ohio next couple of days and I'm curious to see if they will go back to normal working conditions. Cause this problem didn't start till it got below freezing.. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Maximumdan
And today I was driving and the interior light comes on all by its self? Maybe its haunted, lol?
try garlic and salt. Not sure if it works for Japanese ghosts
Old 12-24-2013, 02:30 PM

I had this problem with the sunroof on my 2k2. I read in the owners manual that anytime you disconnect the battery it throws the sunroof and window electronics out of whack, and you have to reset them via a series of button pressing. Look it up in your owners manual under the window regulator section. Maybe its the same thing