5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Instrument Panel Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 10:41 AM

Instrument Panel Upgrade

I have a 2000 base model and the speedometer needle is hard to see and read at night. I don't know the model or year, but I've seen some instrument panels in my cars year model that the speedometer face is a different color maybe white. I think I have good eye site, so I can't be the only person that thinks the needle is hard to see on my particular type of Maxima. If anyone has had this problem or just wanted to make a upgrade and installed something different that you can see better would you show me a photo of it and tell me if it's very difficult to change out and where's a good place to check on getting one?
Thanks....
Old 03-13-2014, 10:49 AM

Check with shinjiduo here on the org. He does led upgrades to clusters I believe. He may even have one he can ship?? Or you could send it to him to get done.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:09 AM

Have you tried the dimmer switch to make sure it's fully lit? And are all the bulb lighting up? Can you post a night shot?
Old 03-22-2014, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by TallTom
Have you tried the dimmer switch to make sure it's fully lit? And are all the bulb lighting up? Can you post a night shot?

I'll try and send one as soon as I figure out how to do it. I signed up on Snapfish and will try to upload it tonight or tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Donnie
I'll try and send one as soon as I figure out how to do it. I signed up on Snapfish and will try to upload it tonight or tomorrow.
Get 4 #74 bulbs. You can even get a set of 5 led bulbs that just plug in from walmart.com for 5 bux. Then remove the 2 philips screws from the trim above the instrument panel and remove the trim. Might have to force the bottom of because it's held in with push tabs but it doesn't break easily so don't be afraid. Unplug the switch on the left and the air temp sensor and set trim aside. Then remove the 3 philips screws holding on the instrument panel. Push it to one side and angle it to get it out. Unplug the wiring
Harnesses and flip it over. There's 4 twist in bulb holders lined up across the center. I believe they're Brown. Twist them and remove them. Pull the bulb out of each one. If you're replacing with regular #74 bulbs then transfer the blue rubber sleeves over from the old bulbs to the new bulbs. Those are there to disperse the light and eliminate hot spots. Reassemble in reverse order. If you're going the led route plug the wiring harness back in and test lights before putting everything back together because the led bulbs only work 1 way so if any don't work remove them and rotate 180 degrees and try again. Bulbs get dim over time so even if they still light up they should look better with new bulbs. Oh and if you get the 5 pack of led bulbs use the extra one to replace the bulb that back lights the odometer good luck
Old 03-23-2014, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by chrisconley1
Get 4 #74 bulbs. You can even get a set of 5 led bulbs that just plug in from walmart.com for 5 bux. Then remove the 2 philips screws from the trim above the instrument panel and remove the trim. Might have to force the bottom of because it's held in with push tabs but it doesn't break easily so don't be afraid. Unplug the switch on the left and the air temp sensor and set trim aside. Then remove the 3 philips screws holding on the instrument panel. Push it to one side and angle it to get it out. Unplug the wiring
Harnesses and flip it over. There's 4 twist in bulb holders lined up across the center. I believe they're Brown. Twist them and remove them. Pull the bulb out of each one. If you're replacing with regular #74 bulbs then transfer the blue rubber sleeves over from the old bulbs to the new bulbs. Those are there to disperse the light and eliminate hot spots. Reassemble in reverse order. If you're going the led route plug the wiring harness back in and test lights before putting everything back together because the led bulbs only work 1 way so if any don't work remove them and rotate 180 degrees and try again. Bulbs get dim over time so even if they still light up they should look better with new bulbs. Oh and if you get the 5 pack of led bulbs use the extra one to replace the bulb that back lights the odometer good luck

Thanks for the reply and great instructions. In my opinion it would have been so much better if the red needle was lit like I see on some vehicles or if the black part was white. I'm seen white face panels in some Maxima's, but I don't know the years and model, so while I have the instrument panel out would it be a good idea to think about swapping mine out for the white? Any idea on the cost of the white face panel? The problem I have is seeing the red needle against the black panel. Thanks again.....
Old 03-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Maxima Grounding Kit Spec

Last edited by Shinjiduo; 03-23-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Shinjiduo

I switched from the black gauges with blue walmart led bulbs to the white gauges with new regular stock white #74 bulbs and it looks way better now. I don't recommend using the walmart (cepa brand i think) bulbs for illumination anymore because they don't spread the light across the gauges well. I think it's because they are long and sit close to the back of the gauges. I was getting serious hot spots and dim spots. They do on the other hand go nicely in the indicator lights. I have them in my directional and high beam and washer indicators so those look cool now. The ones on superbrightleds.com look like stock height bulbs so those probably work way better spreading the light around so I may go that route next but for now my gauges look exactly like your 2nd picture.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Donnie
Thanks for the reply and great instructions. In my opinion it would have been so much better if the red needle was lit like I see on some vehicles or if the black part was white. I'm seen white face panels in some Maxima's, but I don't know the years and model, so while I have the instrument panel out would it be a good idea to think about swapping mine out for the white? Any idea on the cost of the white face panel? The problem I have is seeing the red needle against the black panel. Thanks again.....
I got my white gauges from a guy on Craigslist parting out a 2000 Se for $20