5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

00 Maxima coolant bubling out reservoir

Old 11-23-2014, 12:32 PM

00 Maxima coolant bubling out reservoir

the Car was perfectly fine the day i parked it for the Vortech install in fact it just came from a 430 miles round trip...

Entire cooling system is new and OEM, once we got the supercharger all together and working 3 months later it would idle and drive perfect all day long, the second you take it over 3000rpm it throws coolant into the overflow reservoir until u let off the throttle. the lower hose was ice cold upper hot is hell. i removed the thermostat all together since this was the 3rd OEM one to fail on me in 2 years, also removed the second thermostat under throttle body it now flows coolant great. I let it idle for 40 minutes no problems at all but in neutral if i rev it up it literally sprays coolant out of the overflow tank until the engine is dry. i capped off the overflow hose and blew off the upper hose because it built up so much pressure...The radiator blew up also i removed it and it bent the entire radiator looked like so much pressure it bowed it out and caused the tank to come off the radiator.

I was thinking it has the be head gasket or cracked head so i Ran a compression test today and got 160 psi on all 6 so now im stuck on what to do. before i swap the motor Id like to be sure to get all the advice i can and be sure its the motor first.

238k miles great shape motor.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:04 PM

It does sound like a cracked block/head. I have never heard of a head gasket leak that was rpm sensitive, so I guess I have to lean towards the cracked head/block.

The compression test on a cylinder is no where near the force of combustion. I found an article on physicsforum.com (https://www.physicsforums.com/thread...engine.356962/) that used a paper from Northwestern University (http://www.qrg.northwestern.edu/ther...otto/otto.html) where someone calculated the force to be 1750 psi. This is high as the engine they used for calculations had an 11 to 1 compression ratio. My attempt to correct for a 10 to 1 compression ratio came out at to be 1540 psi.

But the test was on a normally aspirated engine. I would think that a supercharged engine would have a more powerful combustion, so that would bring the higher than thetest. At 3K rpm, the cylinder is firing 50 times a second. That would be a near constant force that could expand a crack.

I have no idea of how you could pressurize a cylinder to the extent that combustion does for testing purposes.

There is a process called magnaflux that can find cracks in a car's engine, but that might be more expensive than putting in another engine.

That's about it for my two cents worth of rambling.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:13 PM

No expert by any means but with upper hose hot lower hose cold I would think you have a circulation problem in the cooling system no?? I would say since you stated your entire system is new oem so my guess is maybe air in the system. Air bubble my guess you might want to try again and fill entire system. Start car with radiator cap off. Let the car idle with heat turned high blower on high. As the car heats it will suck the fluid down so refill as needed also make sure you squeeze upper hose and it will help with getting air out. Eventually you will bleed out system. I know you said at idle you were fine but when giving throttle you got overflow. I had the same problem on a 88 maxima about 6 years ago and it turned out I had air in my system as well. Similar to what you describe but I wasn't supercharged. I bled the system and all was well.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:20 PM

most likely combustion gas from the headgasket being bad. your radiator is filling with combustion gas and the airs overpressuring your rad and the rad cap is then venting the air into the reservoir making it a jacuzzi. had the same thing on my Crown, drive past 150km/h the coolant reservoir flooded allover. did the headgasket, problem fixed
Old 11-26-2014, 05:51 AM

maybe you ll need a bigger radiator which holds more coolant and may ease the pressure,,
Old 01-26-2015, 03:47 PM

sorry haven't updated this but should now so if anybody in future has this issue..

Cars still runs awesome and if drove under 3000rpms and no boost it will never overheat but when I get into boost it spray coolant out quickly and has also built so much pressure it blew 2 brand new radiators too pieces, one completely bent so much pressure...

anyways, I did a leak down test confirmed I got a crack head or head gasket failure and worn piston rings really bad.

I put compressed air into cyl 1 and immediately water bubling in radiator, I put cap back on and listened and cyl 3 was leakin air confirming a head gasket. its in process of new motor right now.

after this I have put a 14psi pulley on supercharger and have doged the holly **** out of it and purposely tried to blow the motor up red lining it and beatin on it I must say this motor seems bullet proff even at 237k miles!
Old 01-27-2015, 01:35 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

You have a cracked head/gasket and worn really bad piston rings and you call the motor bullet proof? Obviously not...but the motor is strong and bullet proof for NA.

For your case...it shows when boosting one should look to upgrade the engine to handle the added pressure. Nothing is bullet proof....
Old 01-27-2015, 02:37 PM

yeah thats anything but bulletproof. a 600hp RB26 with only upgraded oil pump is bulletproof, your engine taking a dump isnt bulletproof
Old 02-17-2015, 09:33 PM

block is completely tore down now...240k miles every bearing is fat shiny and beautiful....three pistons had broke ringlands and rings on it. one piston melted a bunch off and also slammed into the head.

Running too much timing and not enough fuel detonation was the killer.