Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Headlight/Brights Beam pattern issue OEM HID (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/684535-headlight-brights-beam-pattern-issue-oem-hid.html)

Phantasm 02-05-2015 01:59 PM

Headlight/Brights Beam pattern issue OEM HID

Hey all,
2002 SE 6 speed (OEM HID housings w/ Halogen Highbeams).

I've had a headlight beam issue for some time and really want it fixed.

Background: My front right corner experienced a minor impact prior to my owning it. This knowledge is based on the cracked bumper near the passenger fog light housing. The bumper is secured to its brackets, however, the lower support bracket of the Headlight housing is broken but the housing sits in its nominal position as expected and doesn't bounce around when driving. The top screws of the light housing are secured and the nub by the turn signal that enters the body is also in place. I'm not certain the impact damage and broken light housing occurred at the same time.

Here's the rub: My passenger headlight beam shoots HIGHER than my High beam on the same side. When my driving HID headlight is adjusted properly, the High beam illuminates the road right in front of the car.

It seems there is only one adjustment dial; the double white gear with the 8mm socket head adjustment on the firewall side. The outer gear can move both beams up and down simultaneously through a wide range of vertical adjustment, The inner gear appears to be an idler, it just spins free using my finger.

So what would cause my High Beam to shoot on the ground in front of the car when my HID is pointed down the road ??

Can I adjust the high beam independently? The bulbs appear to be seated correctly.

Thanks for any insights.

ChrisMan287 02-05-2015 02:27 PM

Low and high beam reflectors are one piece so they cannot be adjusted independently.

Is your high beam bulb seated properly?

TallTom 02-06-2015 08:22 AM

Like Chris said, make sure the high beam is seated properly. If it is not, you can get some odd results like you are experiencing? Space is tight behind the headlights so there is a chance of it not seated right if they squeezed their hand in to replace it.

Phantasm 02-06-2015 02:12 PM

So, I took your advice, pulled the bulbs and reseated both. So now I'm not sure which one was wrong, but -Problem Fixed!

Thanks for the advice - not sure why I didn't check that in the first place?:confused: Maybe because it's 20* outside.

TallTom 02-06-2015 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Phantasm (Post 9021606)
So, I took your advice, pulled the bulbs and reseated both. So now I'm not sure which one was wrong, but -Problem Fixed!

Thanks for the advice - not sure why I didn't check that in the first place?:confused: Maybe because it's 20* outside.

The side pointing to the ground was the problem. Glad you got it sorted out.