5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

rusted lower tie bar creates costly repairs

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 11:58 AM

rusted lower tie bar creates costly repairs

I had a question directed to some of the other Maxima enthusiasts regarding the issues with the 5th Generation.
If the engine mount shorts out the ECU after an IACV replacement could that be from the lower tie bar being rusted? If the lower tie bar is rusted at the point where the under plate ties into could that be some of the reason why the engine mount shorts out the ECU? Both engine mounts are attached to the under plate.

I had that issue however Nissan did not mention the under plate being attached to the lower tie bar in an area that has badly rusted. I didn't realize the under plate that is bolted to the rusted tie bar until I began to work on the thing myself a few months ago. I had been taking it to several garages for service throughout five years. I decided to re seal the oil pan when I realized the engine mounts were actually attached to the under plate I mentioned above.
Attached Thumbnails rusted lower tie bar creates costly repairs-dsc05405.jpg  

Last edited by maximatech12; 05-01-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:00 PM

It's a nice car but what other types of issues could this lower tie bar being rusted have created?
Old 04-17-2016, 12:01 PM

What can I expect after having it replaced?
Old 04-17-2016, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
I had a question directed to some of the other Maxima enthusiasts regarding the issues with the 5th Generation.
If the engine mount shorts out the ECU after an IACV replacement could that be from the lower tie bar being rusted? If the lower tie bar is rusted at the point where the under plate ties into could that be some of the reason why the engine mount shorts out the ECU? Both engine mounts are attached to the under plate.

I had that issue however Nissan did not mention the under plate being attached to the lower tie bar in an area that has badly rusted. I didn't realize the under plate that is bolted to the rusted tie bar until I began to work on the thing myself a few months ago. I had been taking it to several garages for service throughout five years. I decided to re seal the oil pan when I realized the engine mounts were actually attached to the under plate I mentioned above.
i doubt it
Old 04-17-2016, 04:05 PM

correction: Nissan informed me that the Engine mount shorted out the ECU which in turn shorted out the IACV motor.

How else would the engine mounts short out an ECU unless there were issues with stability?
Old 04-17-2016, 04:38 PM
Bad *** Newb

correction: Nissan informed me that the Engine mount shorted out the ECU which in turn shorted out the IACV motor.

How else would the engine mounts short out an ECU unless there were issues with stability?
IACV shorted out from the coolant, I'm sure. Dealers = dee dee dee
Old 04-17-2016, 04:47 PM

did they show you the shorted ecm and did you have issues with your idle?
Old 04-17-2016, 05:00 PM

the car was acting up and the MIL lamp came on. It was downshifting. I wouldn't accuse Nissan of being wrong or not being accurate with their diagnoses. They are the ones that sell these cars. I'm not in any position to compromise their findings. No I didn't see the old ECU however I would assume it was burnt out and went out with the garbage the next day.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:16 PM

the car was acting up and the MIL lamp came on. It was downshifting. I wouldn't accuse Nissan of being wrong or not being accurate with their diagnoses.
There are a couple of us here on the org that sure as heck would.

They are the ones that sell these cars. I'm not in any position to compromise their findings.
Nissan makes the cars but they don't service them. You could go to Nissan and be a dealer, it's basically a franchise.

No I didn't see the old ECU however I would assume it was burnt out and went out with the garbage the next day.
You may be right on that, but maybe not. Nissan stopped making the ECU a few years ago, so what you buy from a dealer now-a-days is a rebuilt unit. And guess where they come from. The same goes for alternators and starters and a few other things.

Last edited by DennisMik; 04-17-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:25 PM

the car was acting up and the MIL lamp came on. It was downshifting. I wouldn't accuse Nissan of being wrong or not being accurate with their diagnoses. They are the ones that sell these cars. I'm not in any position to compromise their findings. No I didn't see the old ECU however I would assume it was burnt out and went out with the garbage the next day.
i could easily see a dealer try to turn a $300 repair into a $2000 one
Old 04-17-2016, 08:04 PM

I've pulled the old Nissan service invoice from my file. It was a remanufactured ECU 1@918.58. This was back in March of 2011. The vehicle had 118,000 miles on it then.

The previous garage charged me 630.92 for IACV install + diagnostics. Problem was they refunded me $300 back because they said they didn't have a Nissan computer to re-learn the ECU. When I got the Vehicle to Nissan they removed the IACV that the previous garage installed and re-evaluated the situation. That's when they informed me the ECU + IACV was bad.

I initially tried to take it to a dealership alternative because of that but they couldn't handle it.

Last edited by maximatech12; 04-17-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:31 PM

Now I find out years later that Nissan informed me that the electronically controlled mounts shorted the IACV out. I was completely confused for years. I eventually obtained the Nissan engineer circuit specs and went through it. No way!

I'm ultimately concluding that coolant from the throttle chamber shorted out the IACV circuit + Driver. There was some confusion because I had O2 sensors installed just weeks before and the garage didn't perform the reprogramming.

Now when I flush the coolant every five years I'm going to carefully remove/clean the throttle and re-seal the chamber.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:31 PM
Bad *** Newb

Now I find out years later that Nissan informed me that the electronically controlled mounts shorted the IACV out. I was completely confused for years. I eventually obtained the Nissan engineer circuit specs and went through it. No way!

I'm ultimately concluding that coolant from the throttle chamber shorted out the IACV circuit + Driver. There was some confusion because I had O2 sensors installed just weeks before and the garage didn't perform the reprogramming.

Now when I flush the coolant every five years I'm going to carefully remove/clean the throttle and re-seal the chamber.
Do the bypass and be done with it. It will never freeze up, plus, it doesn't even get cold enough in FL lol

Coolant in the TB is a giant joke. Maybe once upon an engine many years ago, it could freeze up due to sneaky physics of sucking air lol

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 05-18-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:00 AM

is all this IACV stuff only 5th gen? not 5.5 gen?
Old 05-19-2016, 08:00 AM

01 was the last year to have an IACV. In 02+ the idle is controlled by the computer with the drive by wire system.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:21 AM

thanks for confirming mr guru ! oh and all those mods u need the 6th gen BBK!
Old 05-20-2016, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
thanks for confirming mr guru ! oh and all those mods u need the 6th gen BBK!
I only know because I have one of each and just replaced it proactively on my 315,000 mile 2000.

That's funny, I was just looking at the car from the side yesterday and thinking the brakes look so small. They're on my list at some point but I'll probably wait till the 6th gens start showing up in the local U-pull it yards.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
I only know because I have one of each and just replaced it proactively on my 315,000 mile 2000.

That's funny, I was just looking at the car from the side yesterday and thinking the brakes look so small. They're on my list at some point but I'll probably wait till the 6th gens start showing up in the local U-pull it yards.
i got my calipers from a 2004 i think in a junkyard online $50 bucks shipped, they look like they were pulled from bottom of ocean tho, needed a lot of tlc and quality sandblast job, i rebuilt them it was an easy job not being on the car . etc.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:37 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE

I got mine from an 08 almost 2 yrs ago Dude was driving so fast he snapped off the control arm cleanly and put hole through to the interior. I had to pick the whole arm and wheel up out of the back seat and remove the caliper