5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 Nissian Maxima P0300 - First timer

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 06:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 Nissian Maxima P0300 - First timer

So, I have a 2000 Nissian Maxima thats been sitting for a few months. I drove it around for about a year before, across the country, besides recently, it always seemed to run a bit rough, but never gave me any issues. Now I'm getting P0300 from AutoZone, changed spark plugs, working on tune up since its been sitting, and I've been searching through the forums for a few days now, and have a pretty good idea of how to and what to do, but just some facts and questions about the issues to confirm:
  • Close to 240,000 miles
  • The idle is rough in D, 2, 1.
  • Engine is rough at higher speeds.
  • Fluid on plug in piston 1.
  • Replaced coil pack on piston 3 before it was sitting. Temporarily fixed idling issue..
  • Slow to accelerate. Check engine light flashes when accelerating too quickly.
  • Sounds like vacuum leak when engine is running. That's my next step.
P0300 - [from AutoZone testing receipt]:
-Lean Air/Fuel Ratio-fuel pump <---Does this mean a new fuel pump may be required?
-Faulty MAF/VAF Sensor <--- Next Step.
-Large Vacuum Leak <--- Working on this now.
-Ignition System Fault <--- Is this from faulty Coil Packs?

Is it "safeish" to drive as is for now? To and from work 15 miles each day, hwy miles? Will it cause any more damage if driven?

The fluid on the plug has me concerned a bit, could this be the culprit or a side effect or another issue altogether?

Any pro tips, 'told you so' advise or other wise good news would be appreciated. And thanks in advance!
Old 01-09-2017, 08:50 PM

You probably need a few coils to swap also clean your maf and tb see if that helps!
DiD you buy iridium plugs or if not did you gap the coppers correctly?
Old 01-11-2017, 06:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the reply. Yesm, the plugs I bought were pre-gapped, which was great, so that.. shouldn't.. be the issue. Im not looking forward to replacing the other 5 coils, but I have seen some faqs on how to check to see which one it may be.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

..Also, just to confirm, The MAF - Mass Air Flow? and TB- Throttle Body/ Fuel Injector?
Old 01-11-2017, 08:22 PM

P0300 Is Multiple Cylinder Misfire. Yes, MAF stands for Mass Air Flow Sensor, TB stands just for Throttle Body. You really shouldn't drive a car that's misfiring. It's not safe because raw fuel can go through the exhaust valves into the exhaust and damage catalytic converts. I don't think you have precats on a 2000, but at least a main cat. under the car. Get a FSM (factory service manual). Find a link on here or got to nicoclub and get it. That will be very helpful in solving your problem.
Make sure your coils are working. You can unplug them one at a time with the car running and if there is no change of idle then there is a chance that that coil is bad. Also check the resistance on each injector or at least make sure they click which means they're opening
The price of Hitachi coils just went down on Rockauto at least for the 3.5 maximas and they seem to be your best bet for aftermarket.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by insome
-Lean Air/Fuel Ratio-fuel pump [I]<---Does this mean a new fuel pump may be [B]required?
Not necessarily. Could be a bad injector.

-Large Vacuum Leak <--- Working on this now.
Keep working.

-Ignition System Fault <--- Is this from faulty Coil Packs?
Not necessarily. Could be the result of leaks, bad/oiled-up spark plugs, or damaged ignition coils.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:50 PM

Fluid on plug most likely fuel - bad injectors with bad internal valve issues. It will probably have to be replaced.