5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Power steering pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 12:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Power steering pump?

I have an 01 Maxima and I have an issue where I will start it up and it's like I don't have power steering until it gets throttle. It's fine the rest of the ride but I'm also constantly having to refill it, like at least once in a 2 week period. It's worse if it's hot out. Just wanted to see if there were any others having the issue?
Old 01-20-2017, 04:23 PM

your hose might be leaking badly and secondly is the fluid is fresh and clean ATF fluid in the resivoir? if you're putting something other than what should be ATF fluid, you will accelerate the leak and deteriorate the hose to a point it'll cause hose to burst.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:08 AM
Maximize

^+1 I would say you have a leak in your power steering hose. Do you hear a whine coming from the front passenger side of the car when you turn either left of right? Also, check for a fluid leak under the front passenger wheel area.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've already checked for leaks and such and my car hasn't dropped any fluids. I have heard the whine you are referring to but refilling my reservoir to the cold max or hot max fixes it. I have just had to add more to it almost once per week
Old 01-25-2017, 03:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
your hose might be leaking badly and secondly is the fluid is fresh and clean ATF fluid in the resivoir? if you're putting something other than what should be ATF fluid, you will accelerate the leak and deteriorate the hose to a point it'll cause hose to burst.
Im putting the correct fluids in, it's how frequently I have to that's the issue. I haven't seen any fluids though. I placed some cardboard under to check and nothing turned up, so I'm back to square one.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Exodus is there
I have an 01 Maxima and I have an issue where I will start it up and it's like I don't have power steering until it gets throttle. It's fine the rest of the ride but I'm also constantly having to refill it, like at least once in a 2 week period. It's worse if it's hot out. Just wanted to see if there were any others having the issue?
So hooole' up!!!

You are filling up every 2 weeks yet you have no leak????? HUH!!!

Do you have someone or something living under your hood? Do they steal PS fluid where you live?

Never heard of PS fluid burning / evaporating off.

Jack up car and look at the length of your rack n pinion and tell us what you see.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Exodus is there
If you don't see anything take it to a shop b/c it's obviously leaking from somewhere.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:01 AM

You have a leak. Probably in the high pressure line which goes from the connection on the strut tower down to the pump. It's a common problem on these cars. The line has a heat shield wrapping and the leak can be hidden under that where it migrates down and covers the pump.

This type of leak will only leak with the car running and probably only when turning the wheel. It's possible you wouldn't see a puddle under the car. Pull back the sheathing on the high pressure line and I'll bet you find it soaked with fluid.