5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Foglights wont work

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 06:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Foglights wont work

Hi, I have an 01 SE that I recently purchased for $300 and I cannot seem to get the foglights to work. I noticed the fuse was missing in the fusebox but inserting one did not do anything. I tried to see if the bulbs were bad but I cannot seem to figure out how to remove them. I would like to get them fixed as I have an odd obsession with lights and stuff, and was considering even down the road swapping them out for some projector lamps but I would like to have the stock ones working first.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:41 PM

just wondering if you checked the relays they are located in front of the battery under the hood see if there was a missing relay. Lastly possibly the headlight switch might quit working.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:34 PM

There is a fog light relay that is located by the power steering oil reservoir. The cover labels it FR FOG LAMP.

if you live in the snow belt, there is a good possibility that the light bulb sockets have corroded out and need to be replaced.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Put a test light on the socket with the fog lights on if the test light light,s up your bulb is burnt out , if test light does not light up the search is on !!!
Old 02-16-2017, 03:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I will check the relay, but as for the sockets, I am not sure what the easiest way to get to them is. I was under the car but it looked pretty cramped. Could anyone maybe post a pic of what needs to be removed to access the bulb?
Old 02-16-2017, 11:58 AM

If you want to remove the fog light assembly, there's one bolt that secures it which is marked '15' in the attached picture. After you remove it, you'll need to pop out the assembly since it will be held in with the 2 pawls.

Might be a good idea to take out the assembly to inspect it. There may be a way to change the bulb without removing the assembly, but I don't remember if it's possible.