5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Passenger Seat Air Bag Connector

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 06:32 PM

Passenger Seat Air Bag Connector

Hi all

I recently purchased a 2001 Maxima. When I bought it the SRS light was blinking. The person I bought it from told me the light was due to a bad air bag module for the passenger side. While cleaning the car I discovered the connectors under the passenger seat were disconnected, however when I tried to connect them it would appear I am missing a middle piece to join them. Can anyone tell me what I am missing?

Chris

Old 02-21-2017, 07:09 AM
Willing to learn

Those connectors you pictured are not for the air bag system. They are possibly the seat motor or seat heater connectors.

The air bag connectors are always yellow.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by oldngivout
Those connectors you pictured are not for the air bag system. They are possibly the seat motor or seat heater connectors.

The air bag connectors are always yellow.
Thank you. That seat is manually operated so I am guessing it is for the heated seats, which is an option my cat did not come from the factory with.

Chris
Old 02-27-2017, 07:47 AM

wow, I have to look at mine since I don't have power seat on the passenger side. I don't recall the side air bag was available on the 2001, I could be wrong but I remember when I bought mine new I still have the brochure and I looked and see and there wasn't available. You say your SRS light was blinking, that you might want to check and see if the car has deployed the airbag in an accident , hope you ran a carfax since a lot of previous owner never tell you that. You know the saying, "buyers beware". Hopefully the seller is right about the bad module.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:08 AM

There are no side curtain airbags. The passenger frontal airbag connector is behind the glove box. Big yellow thing you can't miss it. Wouldn't go messing around with it though until you disconnect your battery and wait a good 10-20 minutes for the capacitors to discharge. An airbag to the face would make for a bad day.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
wow, I have to look at mine since I don't have power seat on the passenger side. I don't recall the side air bag was available on the 2001, I could be wrong but I remember when I bought mine new I still have the brochure and I looked and see and there wasn't available. You say your SRS light was blinking, that you might want to check and see if the car has deployed the airbag in an accident , hope you ran a carfax since a lot of previous owner never tell you that. You know the saying, "buyers beware". Hopefully the seller is right about the bad module.
Hi Fanatic--I don't think the airbag ever deployed and the Carfax said nothing about an accident. And you are correct it does not have side curtain air bags. The car has 173xxx miles and is just a daily driver so I am not worried about the SRS light although I would like to fix the issue. On a positive note I really am enjoying the car.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by rebelhell
There are no side curtain airbags. The passenger frontal airbag connector is behind the glove box. Big yellow thing you can't miss it. Wouldn't go messing around with it though until you disconnect your battery and wait a good 10-20 minutes for the capacitors to discharge. An airbag to the face would make for a bad day.
Rebel--. I found the air bag module while replacing the in cabin air filter. Correct me if I am wrong but I need to check the continuity of the module against factory specs to see if it is bad, correct? If it is I could try replacing it with one from a salvage yard or auto parts store and see if the light will reset. Or is that not a DIY type of fix??

On that note can you direct me to a guide with continuity specs for for the module??

Chris
Old 02-28-2017, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Chris8428
Rebel--. I found the air bag module while replacing the in cabin air filter. Correct me if I am wrong but I need to check the continuity of the module against factory specs to see if it is bad, correct? If it is I could try replacing it with one from a salvage yard or auto parts store and see if the light will reset. Or is that not a DIY type of fix??

On that note can you direct me to a guide with continuity specs for for the module??

Chris
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nis...e-manuals.html

Download the Service Manual for your car. You'll want the RS (Restraint System) section for sure. It's a lot of reading but will go through troubleshooting procedures for the airbags including how to pull the trouble code without a Consult II system. There are code readers that will do this easier but they are few and far between. Replacing the airbag can be a DIY job but care must be taken. Pay special attention to the safety section. Airbags are bombs. You do not want one going off in your face.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by rebelhell
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nis...e-manuals.html

Download the Service Manual for your car. You'll want the RS (Restraint System) section for sure. It's a lot of reading but will go through troubleshooting procedures for the airbags including how to pull the trouble code without a Consult II system. .
Thank you, that is a great resource. I was able to download the manual and following the procedure in it I was able to put the car into the self diagnostic mode. The SRS light has one long flash followed by eight short flashes. The trouble shooting guide gives this as a malfunction in the passenger side air bag module, which is what I was originally told so I was happy about that. In the diagnostic section it made a point of checking the fuse, but I am not understanding based on the guide where the fuse is?

If the fuse is good then the guide indicates the replacement of the module. Is there anyway to test the module?