5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 Fog Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 08:40 PM

2000 Fog Lamps

Hey, so I just recently had a remote start put in, and noticed it flashes my fog lamps (which are HID) with the parking lamps. A while back, I did the rewire for the fogs to come on with the parking lamps.

I'm trying to figure out another route to take my fogs so that they won't flash everytime I lock, unlock or start my car with the remote. I know I could just turn them off and on when need be, but I usually drive with them on during the daytime, and don't want to forget that they aren't on..

So is there another wire I can splice into that'll give me total independent control over my fog lights?

Last edited by alahjahwan09; 02-24-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:26 AM

id say deal with the on and off and turn then off when u park, this way its pretty dang simple... this will eliminate all your autostart fog issues if u just turn them off when u park, and turn them on when u start.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
id say deal with the on and off and turn then off when u park, this way its pretty dang simple... this will eliminate all your autostart fog issues if u just turn them off when u park, and turn them on when u start.
Yea i figured it'd come to that. Ugh
Old 02-21-2017, 01:04 PM

i hear ya, but it don't seem all that bad to me =)

and to be clear are u saying the auto start turns on your daytime running lights, side markers, and taillights for a flash second as well?
Old 02-21-2017, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
i hear ya, but it don't seem all that bad to me =)

and to be clear are u saying the auto start turns on your daytime running lights, side markers, and taillights for a flash second as well?
it's not lol. Maybe I'm just being a brat idk lol.

but, that's correct. I don't mind the side markers and tails flashing because they are all LED. It's the fog lamps I'm worried about because they are spliced over into the park lamp wire. I was wishing there was another line I could splice them into. 😭😭
Old 02-23-2017, 09:10 PM

If you want the fog lights to be on whenever the engine is running and still be able to turn them off by the switch on the steering column, you need to disconnect the yellow wire on the bottom of the fog lamp relay (which is relay pin 1) then connect a wire to pin 1 from a 12 volt source that is hot whenever the ignition key is in the ON position.

The closest spot is the windshield wiper motor, the red wire on pin one. Other places are in the relay box by the battery.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
If you want the fog lights to be on whenever the engine is running and still be able to turn them off by the switch on the steering column, you need to disconnect the yellow wire on the bottom of the fog lamp relay (which is relay pin 1) then connect a wire to pin 1 from a 12 volt source that is hot whenever the ignition key is in the ON position.

The closest spot is the windshield wiper motor, the red wire on pin one. Other places are in the relay box by the battery.
perfect. Do you recommend a certain source?
Old 02-24-2017, 08:17 PM

It doesn't matter where you get your 12 volts from because the current draw will be very small. What you want is a source that is switched off with the ignition switch.

My personal preference would be to tap into the Cooling Fan Relay 1 in the box by the battery (label on the cover is RAD FAN 1). Tap onto that relay's pin 1 (a solid brown wire) and run a wire to pin 1 of the FR FOG LAMP relay by the power steering oil reservoir.

My preference for using the RAD FAN 1 relay is that the wire you run can be hidden from sight. The windshield wiper motor is the closest spot but that wire would be out in the open.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
It doesn't matter where you get your 12 volts from because the current draw will be very small. What you want is a source that is switched off with the ignition switch.

My personal preference would be to tap into the Cooling Fan Relay 1 in the box by the battery (label on the cover is RAD FAN 1). Tap onto that relay's pin 1 (a solid brown wire) and run a wire to pin 1 of the FR FOG LAMP relay by the power steering oil reservoir.

My preference for using the RAD FAN 1 relay is that the wire you run can be hidden from sight. The windshield wiper motor is the closest spot but that wire would be out in the open.
You're awesome. I appreciate the advice!