5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

So Gut Them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 01:36 PM

So Gut Them?

Well, been doing reading and such. Seems I am at a good mileage to prevent any problems with the pre-cats(85k).
I can either
1.Buy new precats(Texas state so no worries really)
2.Gut them out(the cheapest option obviously)
3.Get some aftermarket headers and struggle with install. OBX are the only ones I can find, and frankly , I don't think I feel like dealing with that now until I want to get the full exhaust and tune.
So what would you guys go with?
Im leaning towards gutting them for now. Any tips on this?
Old 04-22-2017, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by wellshii19
Well, been doing reading and such. Seems I am at a good mileage to prevent any problems with the pre-cats(85k).
I can either
1.Buy new precats(Texas state so no worries really)
2.Gut them out(the cheapest option obviously)
3.Get some aftermarket headers and struggle with install. OBX are the only ones I can find, and frankly , I don't think I feel like dealing with that now until I want to get the full exhaust and tune.
So what would you guys go with?
Im leaning towards gutting them for now. Any tips on this?
I personally just replaced mine, others have gutted them, I didnt want the added noise.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
I personally just replaced mine, others have gutted them, I didnt want the added noise.
i hate noisy exhaust, its not noisey at all, slight tone pitch.... or key...change
Old 04-25-2017, 08:02 AM

Gut them and see how you like it. It's work but it doesn't cost anything. You can always replace them later if you want. If you're thinking headers in the future it doesn't make sense to spend the money on new cats.

Just wear a good dust mask when you do it.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Gut them and see how you like it. It's work but it doesn't cost anything. You can always replace them later if you want. If you're thinking headers in the future it doesn't make sense to spend the money on new cats.

Just wear a good dust mask when you do it.
Yea no doubt.
I am still in the middle of what to do. A friend says he'll help me install the headers,but damn those fitment issues I read about.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:51 AM

I don't know that much about OBX but they've been making these headers for a while now. It wouldn't surprise me if they've made adjustments over the years and fit better now.

If you want to make power with the car headers are the way to go. Even with gutted cats, the stock exhaust manifolds on these cars are very restrictive.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
I don't know that much about OBX but they've been making these headers for a while now. It wouldn't surprise me if they've made adjustments over the years and fit better now.

If you want to make power with the car headers are the way to go. Even with gutted cats, the stock exhaust manifolds on these cars are very restrictive.
That's what I am hoping.
I noticed their were two different part numbers .
One is on OBX's website, the other is on 2k racings site. I emailed them both asking if they were the most current,but no response.