5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2003 Maxima new alternator making like a whistling noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 08:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

HELP! 2003 Maxima new alternator making like a whistling noise HELP!

Hi,
I have a 2003 maxima i just replaced my alternator a day ago an its making a whistling noise an i noticed it got a lil louder when i turned my lights or heat/AC on, is this normal?will it be fine?would like to figure this immediately.Thanks

Last edited by nasqb966; 03-26-2017 at 09:04 PM. Reason: to stick out
Old 03-27-2017, 08:44 AM

Perhaps your belt is loose and slipping, or the alternator has a bad bearing. Your need to figure this out - I would start by tightening (or loosening) the belt a little bit, and observing how/whether the noise changes.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
Perhaps your belt is loose and slipping, or the alternator has a bad bearing. Your need to figure this out - I would start by tightening (or loosening) the belt a little bit, and observing how/whether the noise changes.
I just went to my mechanic, he figured out it is the alternator, he checked the charge on the battery an its fine, then he told me since the alternator is new it could be that it hasnt broken in yet an noise could go away after its broken in, is this true? Or if the bearing is bad what would i need to do? Trying to figure this out asap please let me know.Thanks
Old 03-27-2017, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
^This.

And alternator's don't need to be "broken in." They should be whisper quiet right out-the-box. If adjusting the belt doesn't help, you likely got a junk unit.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mclasser
^This.

And alternator's don't need to be "broken in." They should be whisper quiet right out-the-box. If adjusting the belt doesn't help, you likely got a junk unit.
I got a junk unit then, i just dont want it to give out on me, i dont mind the noise i just dont want it to give out,im also thinking about selling it an buying a 1997 honda accord that was my first car an i barely had problems with it only problem i had with that car was the starter which was a cheap fix..do you think the alternator will give out on me since its making that noise?
Old 03-28-2017, 09:06 AM

Some alternators will whine/whistle when under a light load and get louder under a heavier load. The alternator isn't necessarily bad but it is annoying. If it is not that loud, you can choose to ignore it. Or you can choose to change the alternator. Your choice.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Some alternators will whine/whistle when under a light load and get louder under a heavier load. The alternator isn't necessarily bad but it is annoying. If it is not that loud, you can choose to ignore it. Or you can choose to change the alternator. Your choice.
Thanks man that made me feel s bit better about the situation i don't mind the noise i just dont want to break down you know