5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2001 A33 Maxima OBD2 Compliant?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 04:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 A33 Maxima OBD2 Compliant?

Hi guys, i'm new to the forum and have a 2001 A33 Maxima. It does have an OBD port which i have found. I tried to use an OBD2 Heads Up Display purchased on ebay on the Maxima but it doesnt talk to the car and shuts off.

I used this on my 2003 BA Falcon and it worked great, is there any known issue with using a Heads Up Disply via the OBD port? Is the port OBD2 or only OBD1?

Any answers would be appreciated since it seems a shame not to be able to use the HUD in this car too!
Old 03-27-2017, 07:40 AM

All cars in the US, 1996 and up, are OBD2.

There are some cheap OBD2 devices that only work on certain cars.

The bluetooth OBD2 dongles that connect cell phone apps like Torque Pro and Car Gauge Pro are notorious for not working. If you get a good one they're great.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:20 AM

OBD testers have to sense 12 volts on pin 8 of the connector as a way of letting the tester know that it is plugged in. Check fuse # 10 in the dashboard fuse panel, it is in the top row, 2nd from the right. also check fuse # 12, middle row, on the left end.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not sure which adapter you have, but I personally use the PLX Devices Kiwi (original model). They're up to version 3 now, but I've never had an issue with the device not connecting to my phone (since ~2010 when I purchased it). My guess is either the adapter you're using simply isn't working as it should, is only meant for specific brand vehicles, or that your Bluetooth pairing is not set up correctly for the device.

If you're able to return the device, I'd do so and purchase one that is known to work properly with our vehicles. My personal recommendation is one of the PLX devices -- they're a bit pricier, but as I said, in 6-7 years of owning it, it's never let me down, even once. And I've used it on numerous vehicles from many different manufacturers.