5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 se muffler delete drone

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 11:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 se muffler delete drone

Recently took off muffler for a simple straight pipe. Sounds amazing from exterior, but there is a hum in the cabin. I'm not sure if it's considered a drone, but it ranges from 1k-2k range. It's strongest at 1500-1900 rpm(sucks because of average rpm I cruise at). I was wondering if there was a way of reducing the hum to just hear the crisp exhaust sound from within the cabin. Would increasing pipe diameter help? When I welded the pipe to the metal "hammock"connectors my welding mask was low on batteries so I had trouble, and the pipe has a small holes to where water can drop though. Does this have any effect on the exhaust note? Thanks and sorry for the messy question.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:52 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Rizok
Recently took off muffler for a simple straight pipe. Sounds amazing from exterior, but there is a hum in the cabin. I'm not sure if it's considered a drone, but it ranges from 1k-2k range. It's strongest at 1500-1900 rpm(sucks because of average rpm I cruise at). I was wondering if there was a way of reducing the hum to just hear the crisp exhaust sound from within the cabin. Would increasing pipe diameter help? When I welded the pipe to the metal "hammock"connectors my welding mask was low on batteries so I had trouble, and the pipe has a small holes to where water can drop though. Does this have any effect on the exhaust note? Thanks and sorry for the messy question.

https://www.google.com/search?q=resonance+pipe+exhaust&oq=resonance+pipe& aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.7734j0j4&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#xxri=1

You can do the math and eliminate drone in the desired rpm or you can trial and error it with a clamp and cap.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks a million. Definitely gonna try this!!!

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-489463/page4/
Old 05-15-2017, 02:05 PM

That's pretty interesting. I've seen new cars with one of these but very small. I think it was a new chrysler 300 I don't really remember.