5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need some Input. . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 09:59 AM

Need some Input. . .

Howdy,
2002 6-Speed, 170k, owned it for a year.
2jracing UDP NWP BOP NWP Spacers Timing Advance 2 degrees Welded mounts
Car’s been running great since I have owned it, up until a few days ago when it started getting warm ~85-90.
Noticed some power loss recently, assumed it was just imagined due to the install of my I35 cluster since the gauges are slightly offset from the Maxima’s. Well, drove about 55 miles one day and I noticed a burning oil smell, figured it was coming from the truck in front of me at the time. Also, the rpms kept dipping down real low when coming to stops like it wanted to stall but never did. Then, I decided to be aggressive with the pedal and that’s when I noticed billowing smoke out the tailpipe. Now, to me it seemed to be white at first, turning grey at higher rpms. Now it has a slightly blue hue and it smells like gas and oil mixture. The car does not sound awful, but I can tell something sounds different via the tailpipe. The car only smokes after the rpms go over 3k-ish. Drove home and parked it, codes P0300, P0021, P0011. After running it, and revving it for a bit, the car smokes from the intake. Removing the PCV hose, smoke coming from there, and smoke coming from the oil filler cap when I remove it. When warm it starts to idle rough. Consumed half a quart running in while parked for 5 minutes..
Started it the next day and gave some slight revs and heard ratting/knocking from the back side of the engine bay. PCV valve was making intermittent hissing noises (changed it and solved nothing). Looked at the front IVT for gunk, nada. Did not check the rear.
I have noticed oil consumption, was about 1.5 quarts low last oil change but it never had consumed oil before. I installed NWP Spacers a few weeks ago, drove it with no issues. Had P0300, and misfires in Cylinders 2 and 4 one day, misfires decently bad.. but lasted one day and after clearing the codes they did not return and had no misfiring issues.
I am no expert, hence the post. I wanted some feedback from others who are better-versed on the subject. I would love to think changing the sensors would solve my problem. But, I feel as though the timing may have jumped.
S.O.S.
Thanks in Advance.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:57 AM

While I don't know exactly what your issue may be. I did check the Just Answer Nissan tech site and found your exact issue, as posted by a 2002 Maxima owner over 10 yrs ago. The codes are for random misfire, valve timing, and camshaft position, all could be caused by low oil level according to the tech.

I will tell you that I had a 2003 SE, 6 speed with 128k miles and from what I've seen here almost all 5th gen Maxima's consumed oil, mine went thru half a qt every 1500 miles. I checked it religiously but knew it was low when the car sounded like rattling chains under hard acceleration. If you don't get a better answer here, I would recommend checking out the just answer site, as your issue has been covered more than once there. Good luck.

Last edited by Maxgig; 05-19-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:12 PM

If you feel confident, clean the EGR system (youtube). Clogged EGR valve/pipe can cause random misfires. I would also move to a high mileage oil to try remediate any possible oil consumption due to worn valve guide seals. High mileage oil would swell rubber and decrease oil loss.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:45 AM

welp.

Black oil sprinkled with metal.

Catastrophic failure thanks to my only remaining precat in the front bank. Never got around to gutting it when I did the rear due to time constraints with my job.

When I removed the precat, it was completely empty. As if it was already gutted, the screen's ring was the only remaining piece.

I assume the infamous and intermittent camshaft position sensor codes have to do with the precats deteriorating and clogging IVTs, I only had them when it was warm out.

I am currently mid engine swap, just figured I'd close the thread for those who have similar issues.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:19 AM

damn well thanks for the update, sorry thats rough...

interesting theroy on the cam shaft sensor and additional precat failure. im not sure if that makes sense to me... though....
Old 05-26-2017, 09:11 AM

How many miles on the pre-cats when they disintegrated?
Old 05-30-2017, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
damn well thanks for the update, sorry thats rough...

interesting theroy on the cam shaft sensor and additional precat failure. im not sure if that makes sense to me... though....
From my understanding:
Precats break up
Material sucked into engine
Material causes mayhem once inside
Pieces of mayhem clogs the IVTs
Clogged IVTs trigger Camshaft Position Sensor Codes

Not entirely sure if thats accurate, but unless someone has a different explanation...
Old 05-30-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tarzan
How many miles on the pre-cats when they disintegrated?
Around 168,xxx is when the car was killed

Though, I bought the car with 15x,xxx and the rear one was rattling around when I bought it.

According to a technician/family friend of mine, the extreme heat (especially in the poorly ventilated backside of our engines) causes the casing to separate from the catalyst over time.

As far as complete and total disintegration of my front one, I would assume oil leakage or sabotage via V6 Mustang owners.

Guess we will never know..
Old 05-30-2017, 01:41 PM

That sucks ballz.
So is your friend saying that it would be a good idea to remove heat shields from the pre-cats?
Old 05-30-2017, 06:20 PM

Keep in mind the screw holes are through into the catalyst area!
You will have to put the screws back in.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:10 AM

SMH wow sorry that sucks.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
Keep in mind the screw holes are through into the catalyst area!
You will have to put the screws back in.
Not true.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:08 PM

How likely is this precat issue to occur? Any specific engines? I have a 2000 3.0 and never replaced them with 176000 and certainly don't want this to happen to my engine.....
Old 05-31-2017, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
How likely is this precat issue to occur? Any specific engines? I have a 2000 3.0 and never replaced them with 176000 and certainly don't want this to happen to my engine.....
It's mostly on the 3.5 cars. The precatts are right at the manifold on those.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:03 PM

i went to 186k with stock untouched precats no issues on my 3.5, its not super common but still a chance... hard to say if it is inevitable to happen... or just bad luck

i gutted mine at that point at 186k for piece of mind.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:01 PM

Thanks, guys.