5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2001 SE Air Intake boot/gasket issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 01:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 SE Air Intake boot/gasket issue

Hi All,

I've recently a 5th Gen Maxima and have a question about the air intake. I went to look at a parts yard and it appears their intake had the same issue as me but I can't find a replacement part.

Looking at this Diagram:
https://www.parts.com/media/images/o.../3/3799130.gif

It would appear there is a missing part between the Air Cleaner Assembly (1) and Duct Assembly (17) which is a plastic coupler connecting the two. My issue is with that piece--It doesn't seal very well...at all...and I don't know what good fix there would be, though I assume it's a common issue and surprised I haven't been able to find any info on it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:11 PM

Yes, that coupler is an issue on mine as well. What happened to me was the foam that wrapped the end of the piece that contains the filter degraded and allowed a sloppy connection, almost losing part of my intake on the road.

My solution, so far, is superglue a piece of felt fabric that is used for door weatherstripping in lieu of the foam. It makes a snug fit.

You may have to try various thicknesses of a similar product or foam to seal it, assuming you can get or have the union piece.

Hope this helps. If you want specific product info let me know.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:28 PM

are you referring to part number 17, the duct that connect to 1, I wouldn't worry about it, it's not gonna affect anything such as vacuum leak. however anything from 1 connecting to throttle body, that get past the air filter need to be a very good tight seal, otherwise a engine light will set off. But I don't think anything else should be alarmed for concern.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
are you referring to part number 17, the duct that connect to 1, I wouldn't worry about it, it's not gonna affect anything such as vacuum leak. however anything from 1 connecting to throttle body, that get past the air filter need to be a very good tight seal, otherwise a engine light will set off. But I don't think anything else should be alarmed for concern.
yes 1 to 17. Is the MAF not on 17? won't that have an impact on performance/MPG if it's taking in more air than sensed?

Also, does anyone have a pic of how the left side of 17 is supposed to be mounted? mine is free-hanging, it's only held in my the couplings with the other parts.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:45 PM

The maf is not on that part, #17. It is further downstream, just after the air filter. It has a wire connecting on top of it.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:15 PM

that part that's on #17 is IAT (intake air temp) that has a plastic connector, the MAF is past the air filter box before the throttle body tube.