5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Looking to buy another 03

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 06:45 PM

Looking to buy another 03

im currently looking at buying a 03 maxima 6 speed with 138k miles. Currently it does not start, will crank all day but no start. I pulled codes
-p0011 x2 ?
-p0021
-p0340

What in getting from this is all it needs is both can pos sensors and a crank sensor?
Its a good deal on the car and if that's all it needs I might go for it.
Thanks!
Old 08-09-2017, 08:49 PM

P0011 is the IVT (Intake valve timing control solenoid valve) for bank 1 is not working, but it could be caused by the camshaft sensor being bad. Code P0340 is the camshaft sensor for bank 1.

P0021 is the IVT for bank 2 is not working, but unfortunately, you don't have P0345 which is the camshaft sensor for bank 2.

With a bad IVT, you should be able to start the engine, but it will be in limp mode.

I'm not so sure that sensors alone will fix the car, and I don't think the crankshaft sensor is needed.

Have you checked that the security led in with the clock is not on while you are cranking?

If the price is cheap enough, go for it. You might have to replace the bank 2 IVT.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:39 AM

Be careful.
There's an old trick to sell a car with a bad motor.

Disconnect or disable a part that looks like an easy fix for someone handy. The buyer thinks they're taking advantage and getting a good deal on an easy fix. The reality is that the motor has a knock or bad head gasket.

Back when cars were simple, and didn't run on sensors, you could look over the want adds and see car after car listed as "runs great, needs starter".

Not saying that's the case here. Just be aware.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:33 AM

Derrick makes a good point. It can be difficult to figure out if you are being scammed.

One additional thing about the IVT. They operate on oil pressure and can get plugged up with sludge. Remove the oil filler cap and look in the engine. This may not be proof positive, though.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:53 AM

I had limited time to look at the car, and it was about 1 1/2 hours away. Pulled the codes and thats what i came up with. I didn't get a chance to check the security light. But it would crank over, didn't hear any knocking. I did check the oil, it was full and looked exactly the same as my current maxima. Opened the fill cap and it looked way cleaner than my current, less sludge buildup. He is asking 1000, but im pretty sure he would take 400. Might just bite the bullet for 400, get it towed here. This is the only manual maxima i have ever found this close to me lol
Old 08-10-2017, 08:36 PM

Would any of those codes cause the car not to run?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:36 PM

At that price it's probably worth the risk.
Just remember that a no-start can also cover up transmission problems.

I'm not sure if those codes would make it not run but there are plenty of things that can be done to create a no-start without throwing any codes.

You may look into renting a truck and tow dolly as an alternative to a long expensive tow. A tow that far will be hundreds of dollars.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:34 PM

You may need to pull the motor and replace plastic chain guides.
"TuroFM", a you tuber, has shot video of the issue.
What happens is the chain digs almost completLy through the plastic guides then you have to replace the guides.
Id get a 2009 maxima instead because then its only under ten years old.

Last edited by maximatech12; 08-14-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
You may need to pull the motor and replace plastic chain guides.
"TuroFM", a you tuber, has shot video of the issue.
What happens is the chain digs almost completLy through the plastic guides then you have to replace the guides.
Id get a 2009 maxima instead because then its only under ten years old.
I wouldn't worry about this one bit. It doesn't happen. There are a lot of "experts" on You Tube and even more people who pretend they're "experts" after watching something on You Tube.

Timing chain issues are very rare on any 5th or 5.5 gen gen. Even with twice the mileage as the one you're looking at they're solid.

The 6th gens are another story. They changed the design of the tensioners and made them worse. I've personally seen several of them fail and heard about many more.