5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 5.5Gen - Pull Engine from Top or Drop at the Bottom?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 05:53 AM

2002 5.5Gen - Pull Engine from Top or Drop at the Bottom?

Sorry for asking a somewhat newbie question.

I have a 2002 Maxima SE Automatic that I am considering to do engine swap or rebuild due to oil burning issue, clogged pre-cat, and getting misfire codes.

The FSM shows removal of the engine is dropped through the bottom.

My question is for those that have done engine removal on 5.5gen, is it possible to pull the engine from top with a cherry picker? And if so, whether it is necessary/preferable to pull it together with the transmission or disconnect the transmission by undoing bolts at the bell housing and flex plate. Since I will do doing the work in front of my driveway without a lift, pulling it from the would be preferred.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:32 AM

Yes, you can pull it from the top. I just did my 6MT and it was necessary to pull it with the transmission. Either that or drop the transmission first.

I'd skip the rebuild. Just drop in a good replacement but gut the pre-cats if emissions aren't an issue in your jurisdiction. If you love the car or are interested in performance upgrade you could do an HR swap. It'll cost you about $700 more though.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by freezer
Yes, you can pull it from the top. I just did my 6MT and it was necessary to pull it with the transmission. Either that or drop the transmission first.

I'd skip the rebuild. Just drop in a good replacement but gut the pre-cats if emissions aren't an issue in your jurisdiction. If you love the car or are interested in performance upgrade you could do an HR swap. It'll cost you about $700 more though.
thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I am still contemplating what I will do as the car is quite old. Because the car is quite old, the nuts and bolts holding up the IMs will be nearly impossible to get off since I do not have oxy acetylene torch. So selling her to go with something else might be another option since I'll need to do the rusty lower radiator support very soon.

Doing an HR swap seems like it take a lot more work and having to modify things to fit based on what I've read on the Org. Besides that, not really looking for a upgrade but rather just looking to have a reliable backup transportation. A good replacement VQ might not be easy to find due to lack of maintenance records to many of them out there. Part of me wanting to rebuild (new rings, valve stem seals, pistons, etc.) to go through the learning experience and knowing that things are done right!
Old 08-13-2017, 04:35 PM

Drench them with WD40 rust penetrant and scrub them with a wire brush over and over. They should come loose.
If it has no bad collision damage why not?
The motor is just a part number.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
Drench them with WD40 rust penetrant and scrub them with a wire brush over and over. They should come loose.
If it has no bad collision damage why not?
The motor is just a part number.
i tried the front ones (even using special gripping sockets) and have not had much luck. Maybe i haven't tried hard enough by pulling the radiator, hamming in my irwin bolt extractor and using my hi-torque milwaukee M18 1/2" impact wrench to go at it. the ones towards the firewall are no fun.

besides rusty/stubborn fasteners, one of the things that hesitate me is having to lie on my back too much to do this. not getting any younger. if i had a lift, i'd do it in a heartbeat!