5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Easier Way to Change Rear Spark Plugs...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 07:56 PM

Easier Way to Change Rear Spark Plugs...

For VQ35 Only

I think I might have figured out a way to change the rear plugs much quicker and easily than the normal way.

As many of you know, you have to remove the intake manifold to gain access to the rear valve cover/spark plugs. However, I think I have figured out a way to get easier access to JUST the spark plugs.

I have not seen any discussion of this before, but after a quick glance, it appears you can get access to all 3 spark plugs by just removing the elbow. It is possible to remove the 4 bolts holding it onto the intake without removing any additional parts, so then you're left with some electrical connectors and vacuum/coolant lines.

Getting the coil pack out would be the trickiest part, but with the angle they're inserted, it should be enough to slide past the back of the intake. Clearly this won't let you remove the valve cover, but if you're just doing spark plugs, the elbow to manifold gasket is 5x cheaper than the plenum gasket, and requires less work to remove.

I changed my plugs last year, and I recently pulled the front 3 out to inspect them, and found they were very loose. A 1/4" ratchet could have removed them with little effort. This is obviously my bad as I didn't torque them down and was in a rush. They felt tight enough when I originally installed them, but they must have loosened up over time. I will report back once I figure out if it's possible or not, but it won't be for a month or so.

Just thought I'd share so people can try themselves and possibly save time and money.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:56 AM

You still wont be able to get the two coils out with the plenum in place. It's very close but it wont work.

I wouldn't worry about the plugs. They're not supposed to be torqued hard the 1st time they're put in. As long as you flattened the round crush gasket it will be fine. They're not torqued like a bolt.
I know the feeling of removing one and being surprised at how easy they come out.
As long as it takes SOME effort they're fine.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:47 AM

Unfortunately you’re right. I took another look more in depth, and the plug closest to the passenger side, the bolt holding the coil pack down is covered halfway by the intake. That bummed me out lol. Thought I may have found an easier way, but guess not. It was worth a shot though.

They had resistance, but less than I’d like. I don’t think it’s possible for them to back out anymore though because it has a coil pack on top of it that’s bolted down. I’ll retorque them when I have more free time though.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:33 AM

yah I think its easier to just remove the plenum but keep the coolant lines attached and the throttle plugged in. I never remove everything when im just doing coils or plugs, I still leave the coolant lines attached and the throttle plugged in, I just lift the manifold out of the way and reuse the gasket.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:25 AM

Coil pack won't stop the plug from unscrewing itself under pressure from the cylinder, if the plug is not torqued correctly. Ask Honda V6 owners!
Old 10-11-2017, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by SubwayVQ
For VQ35 Only
I changed my plugs last year, and I recently pulled the front 3 out to inspect them, and found they were very loose. A 1/4" ratchet could have removed them with little effort.
With all of the work involved to get to those three plugs I would strongly suggest that you invest in a good torque wrench. It gets rid of the guess work. According to my Hanes manual the torque specification for the plugs on the VQ35DE would be 14-22 ft-lbs.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by 2k2albatross
With all of the work involved to get to those three plugs I would strongly suggest that you invest in a good torque wrench. It gets rid of the guess work. According to my Hanes manual the torque specification for the plugs on the VQ35DE would be 14-22 ft-lbs.
Personally, I do not believe in torque wrenches unless it’s for critical engine parts. It was my fault cause I was in a rush and wanted to get done. It should’nt be a huge issue since I won’t need to buy a new intake gasket or any other parts.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:23 AM
Bad *** Newb

It's literally less than a 5 min job to remove the IM once you throw away the useless bolts in the rear.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
It's literally less than a 5 min job to remove the IM once you throw away the useless bolts in the rear.
What useless bolts? The 2 that support the intake in the rear?
Old 10-13-2017, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by rodent_infested_03
What useless bolts? The 2 that support the intake in the rear?
Yeah. Toss the bracket in the trash and the bolts in the spare bucket.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Yeah. Toss the bracket in the trash and the bolts in the spare bucket.
Would gladly leave those bolts out. Removing them won't have any ill effects?
Old 10-13-2017, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by flames101sully
Would gladly leave those bolts out. Removing them won't have any ill effects?
I can see why they did it but I think it's overkill. Many of us have been running without them for a long time.

Nissan loves their brackets. It seems like they have a heavy duty bracket for every section of wire and hose on the car. I have a box of them I've replaced with zip-ties over the years.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:20 AM

I’m not sure why everyone griefs over those 2 rear bolts. First time I removed the intake, I had no trouble accessing them or removing them. All the videos I watched said it was the hardest part of the job and I found it to be one of the easier things. I’m gonna keep them on.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:03 AM

First time I removed the intake, I had no trouble accessing them or removing them. All the videos I watched said it was the hardest part of the job and I found it to be one of the easier things. I’m gonna keep them on.
I have a breaker bar with a swivel that gives me just the right angle to get access to the bolt. A regular ratchet back there is frustrating. I put mine back in place.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:13 AM

I used a 1/2" ratchet and it broke loose with the same force as removing the plenum bolts lol.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:45 PM
Bad *** Newb

I’m not sure why everyone griefs over those 2 rear bolts. First time I removed the intake, I had no trouble accessing them or removing them. All the videos I watched said it was the hardest part of the job and I found it to be one of the easier things. I’m gonna keep them on.
B/c I have big hands...you know, just man things
Old 10-17-2017, 08:15 AM

I also had no trouble replacing the 2 bolts. I think Nissan put the bolts there to support the intake's uneven weight. Uneven weight may cause a vacuum leak at the Intake manifold seal over time.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
B/c I have big hands...you know, just man things
Plenty of room with the TB off.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:46 AM

Just curious as to how much coolant comes out of the coolant lines in the intake? I recently replaced my upper radiator hose and want to know if it will be more or less than that.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:40 AM

Just curious as to how much coolant comes out of the coolant lines in the intake? I recently replaced my upper radiator hose and want to know if it will be more or less than that.
May depend what year. My 03 had no intake related coolant lines other than the TB.
Attached Thumbnails Easier Way to Change Rear Spark Plugs...-20170511_163645.jpg   Easier Way to Change Rear Spark Plugs...-20170515_140112.jpg   Easier Way to Change Rear Spark Plugs...-20170510_094955.jpg   Easier Way to Change Rear Spark Plugs...-20170511_152610.jpg   Easier Way to Change Rear Spark Plugs...-20170511_163337.jpg  

Last edited by rodent_infested_03; 10-18-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:58 AM

Yeah, the ones near the throttle body. I have an ‘02.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:35 PM

A slight dribble comes out of the TB coolant hose, nothing worth wasting a rag on.